Author Topic: New here, looking for advice  (Read 4778 times)

Offline alexk15810

• Sly Guy in Training
New here, looking for advice
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm 26, starting losing my hair when I was 22 or so. It really wasn't noticeable until I was 23/24...I didn't really accept it until then. Every man in my family is bald so I figured I'd lose my hair someday, but I didn't plan on it happening until I was at least in my 30s. My dad didn't start losing his until his mid/late 30's but I'm not so lucky. I was depressed about it for the longest time. Also I have a fraternal twin brother who is not losing his hair at all which is just flat out annoying.

It still bothers me,but I've gotten over it for the most part. Since then I told myself I would shave my head when it started to look too bad. My dad has a horrible comb over and I am never ever doing that.

About 6 months ago I changed my hairstyle and started keeping it short, getting a 3 guard buzz with 2 on the sides (my hair is longer than that in the pics it's been 3 weeks or so since my last cut). Before I started losing my hair I kept it pretty long.

I'm considering just getting 1 all over. I guess my question is do you think I should? Would I look better with a short buzz or have I reached the point where I should just shave it off?

The way I'm balding I don't know what to do. I don't have 1 bald spot I'm sort of just thinning all over. I'm thinning in the front a lot and its worked its way back to the middle of my head the last year I've noticed. It looks horrible from above but if you look at me from the front or sides it looks better.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:27:25 PM by alexk15810 »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: New here, looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »
If you'd feel more comfortable with the buzz for now, go for it.

There's really nothing to lose. If you don't like it (unlikely), it grows back. If you decide that you'd like to take it all off, you need to buzz it really short before doing so anyways.

So just do it. No down side!

And for what it's worth, I think you'll look much better with a close buzz, and even better fully sly.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »
P.S. Keep the face fur -- looks good on you. And try smiling.  8)

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
I agree with Sly Bear.  A big smile does wonders too.
Roger

Offline jedge01

• Sly Jr.
  • Jim
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
Agree!

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
Start with  no. 1 buzz which is like one eighth inch, you buy a clipper and do that yourself. You will look great and it feels great. Then when you are ready try a smooth shave.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:33:56 AM »
Like the others said, you could always try a shorter haircut first before going all the way. Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you decide.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
the brothers speak the truth...I also think a buzz cut will help you decide...I think a buzz will look good on you, and yes, I agree...keep the face fuzz

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 06:07:54 AM »
I would go with short buzz and then one day shave it all.  You will like.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:04:24 AM »
As everyone said above is what I did.

Definitely go the buzz cut...  if you like it, buy some Wahl baldfader clippers and put a number one 1/8" or 1/16" comb on. Then what often eventually happens is you end up going direct with no comb. I did that for a while, clipping every two or three weeks and my head also naturally got a bit of color.

Then move onto Sly when ready

It all depends on the individual but I personally enjoyed the journey from paying for haircuts, to clipping it myself, to ATX Sly
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline alexk15810

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll shave it down with a 1 guard all over this weekend and see how that goes. And I'll try smiling in future pics  ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:13:22 PM by alexk15810 »

Offline Who Knows

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:18 AM »
Im sure you would look fine with a shaved head, you could do as I done kept taking it down a setting every now and then on your clippers to gain the confidence, from experience I wish I had went sly sooner I started balding when I was 16-17 and just went sly for over a month now, yes its going to take a little dedication to keep that dome shaved but its all worth the time and effort.

Check my progress out and I hope it helps on you making a decision!

http://www2.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=17617.0

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 04:52:58 AM »
Good recommendation. Go for a #1 all over. You can do it yourself.  Because of your thinning hair, if you don't like that look, just continue on and shave it all off.  You have options.

What hair you have, grows back pretty fast, if you decide that #1 was too short for now.

No need to fret over thinning hair. Bald is a very popular hair style these days. Just look around at all the guys who shave bald or buzz so short that you think they are bald. 

Offline alexk15810

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
Thought I'd give an update. It's been about 3 months now. I started shaving with a number 1 all over...tried that for a while and really thought it would look better completely shaved off so I went ahead and bought a pair of Wahl Balding Clippers and have been shaving it all off for about 2 months now (see profile pic). Also shaved it smooth with razor a few times but I prefer the clippers. I got a new pair of glasses too, I was due for a new prescription anyway.

Reactions from people were mixed. Some loved it and some hate it and want me to grow my hair back. My co-workers were shocked, it made for an interesting day at work. I really like it and am going to keep it. Not gonna lie I miss my hair sometimes but overall I do think I look a lot better this way.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:18:12 PM by alexk15810 »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 04:00:54 AM »
Looks good! As far as those who comment, especially negatively, just give them a smile and keep the response short. As long as you like it, that's all that matters.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.