Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 6028 times)

Offline batman36

• Learning the way of Sly
newbie question
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »
I just shaved the dome and now its white, flaking, and when I sweat everywhere I used to have hair doesnt sweat.  Will this pass?

Offline Chaplain Mike

• Sly Jr.
Re: newbie question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »
My experience has been the sweat will come.  Mine certanly did.  As far as white a little sun will clear that up.  But be careful, it is easy to go from white to fire engine red.  Use good sun screen to help protect but it it will eventually match the rest of your face.  THe flaking is the dead skin that happend rally all over our body.  Something that helps with this is using a good exfolient or scrub a couple of times per week.  That will get rid of the flaking.  Also moisturize with something made for you head or face.  There is a ton of product out there that will help.  I'm sure others will chime in and help.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
The sweat will definitely come.  It could be that without hair, the sweat evaporates more quickly and so you don't notice it as much, especially if you haven't been active enough since shaving the dome to work up a solid sweat. 

Offline sq

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:01 AM »
Only been sly 10 days or so - the sweat is one thing to get used to, nothing to stop it I guess - one heads up I would offer as a newbie if you are going to exercise be careful what you put on your head.  Whats on your head can end up in your eyes - someones here just suggested a sports sunscreen to me, (shine, moisture and "sweat proof") going to give that a try

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:14:11 PM »
Hey Batman36, where you from bro?  There is a guy that lives up the street from me that has Batman36 on the bumper of his truck.  Would it be you??  Just wondering.

Offline batman36

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
Nope not me but I'm in texas.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
I have had the same problem and there are only two ways I've found to avoid this.

1. Using a good post shave moisturizer.
2. Using a loofa in the shower
3. Take 2 or 3 days off from shaving.

Hope you find the fix!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline baldking

• Brian
  • Sly
  • "The time is now"
    • bald head shine
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:07:29 AM »
Use any good moisturizer
http://www.baldheadshine.com
slimgoodbody@hotmail.com

Offline rsotir

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »
I've been shaving mine for about two weeks now, and I've had some similar situations but have exercised some trial & error.  What I've found that works best in maintaining the scalp is this;

1.  Use a soap with an exfoliant before you shave.  I use the Dove Gentle Exfoliating bar and it seems to do a good job.  That will take care of the flaking.

2.  I've had a good experience with Gilette Edge gel.  Doesn't seem to clump up too much.  Make sure you lather it up and let it sit on your head for a couple minutes before you go to the blade.

3.  The razor that I use is the Gilette Fusion, and I think it does a really good job.  Just use long, smooth strokes and rinse often so that the blade doesn't get gummed up with hair & shaving cream.

4.  Wash it again with the soap to get off all of the excess shaving cream.  I find that doing all this in the shower is the best way to get it done in one fell swoop.

5.  Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize  The one that I've found to work the best and not feel tacky or greasy is made by Banana Boat.  It's one of their after-sun moisturizers.  I was using Lubriderm, but it seemed to actually make my head sweat.  Maybe it's just me... dunno.

6.  Get used to people wanting to rub your skull.  :)

R

marty22

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
welcome to another new yorker!

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 07:22:46 PM »
Rsotir, Welcome to the forum!! Do us all a favor and head on over to "Introductions" and tell us a bit about yourself and give us a pic so we can know who we are talking to.

Have fun and post often!
It's all about attitude!

usmcpelon

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »
Can anyone tell me why the top of my shave head is alway greasy.  I used to sport a High & Tight Horseshoe Flatop, and now that the top hair is gone, its alway turns greasy by 1000 hours.  Why?  I have to constantly wash the to with soap to remove the grease.  Will this go away or could it be permanent?

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:25:58 AM »
Could be alot of things, do you sweat alot? also some people have more oily skin. Just make sure you wash it before you hit the rack.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:38:58 AM »
usmcpelon -- it could be that your head has always been greasy where your hair was, and you never knew it.  My whole head (and face) is that way, but my hair was never oily to the touch.  It's a pain, but I have heard that I will not get as many wrinkles (not that I care) with skin like that... don't know if that's just an old wives' tale.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

usmcpelon

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
No I don't think so.  I'm a marine and alway had a flatop with the bald spot on top.  It was never greasy nor was my hair which was not much.  I just can't seem to see why the top part where the flatop was is the only area that is greasy.  I'm not talking about the whole head, just the top part.