Author Topic: We can never say it enough  (Read 2216 times)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
We can never say it enough
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
Thanks to all you men and women out there who are currently serving or have served in the United States military. Without you doing what you do and have done we would not enjoy the freedoms we have today. And there aren't the words to thank the families of ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives. Our military are the true hero's who stand on a wall to protect us every night and day.

A special thanks to three great men that have been a part of my life.

My Dad-Homer Fisher who was a Army veteran of the Korean War. Passed on in 1990

My Uncle-Sergent Major Retired U.S Army Anthony Kusilka...one of the toughest and yet most compassionate men I have ever known rolled into one. Passed on in 1999.

Finally my brother Phillip Fisher-Army Veteran who served two tours of Vietnam. Thankfully he still with us.

Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: We can never say it enough
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
Hear Hear
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
  • Testing out the sly side of life
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »
No matter how much our past presidents have abused the military, it's not an excuse to denigrate the men and women in uniform. Those who died in action deserve to be remembered with dignity, regardless of the date on the calendar.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:07 AM »
I agree with Hammer.... Thanks to all who have served.

A special thanks to my Dad who was in Airborne..... Dad is 73 years old and still with us.

A very special thanks to my Uncle Ron Collins. He was a career military man and served as a Green Beret in the Vietnam War. He was the toughest man I've ever known..... and also one of the most compassionate. A mountain of a man with the heart of a teddy bear. Sadly Uncle Ron died about 10 years ago.... way too young.

Dad and Uncle Ron were best friends from the day they met in the military..... then they married sisters and were brother in laws and best friends for 40 years until Uncle Ron's passing.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »
It is unfortunate that we are loosing the WWII veterans so fast.  Fortunately, my dad is still with us.  He was given his HS diploma 6 months early so he could enlist in the Navy at 17.  He spent the war in Florida.  He was in a training squadron doing carrier qualifications for crews going to the Pacific.  It was his job to keep the training planes flying.  Not nearly as dashing as being on the front lines, but it was a job that needed to be done.

We should also remember those who served on the Home Front.  My Mom was a teletype operator for Western Union in Chicago.  They passed a lot of military and personal messages over the wire.  Unfortunately, we lost Mom last Easter.

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:57:54 AM »
Wonderful posts guys.

My grandfather (my dad's dad) was a PFC in the Army during WWII. He took a chest full of shrapnel during the war, and was still strong as an ox. He passed about 2 years ago.

My other grandfather was in the Marines right after the WWII (not sure of his rank, he passed when my mom was 16)

My great uncle was career Army, and was in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He passed about 10 years ago.

My Uncle was a PO1 in the US Coast Guard and was overseas during the Gulf War. He passed 2 months after my grandfather did. Far too early.

Thank you, every single one of you. And thank you to the families that are left behind while your sons and daughters ship off. "Those who wait, also serve."
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »
Had four uncles and a second cousin who fought in WWII.   Two in Burma, one on Guadacanal and the Aleutians, and the other in Europe.    Besides myself, nine Marines in the family including my Dad, two uncles and 5 cousins.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost