Author Topic: 1 month sly  (Read 3010 times)

sdb9

1 month sly
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »
well....i'm a little embarrassed to admit that its been a month of being sly and no complements.  some comments i have received are:

"You look like you just got out of prison"

"Did you shave you head with a razor......WHY??"

"O My God"

"What were you thinking?"

After reading some of the sly reactions i have to admit im surprized by how many negative reactions there seem to be......especially considering how many bald people there are.

anyways.....anyone receiving negativity for being sly, keep your head up!

it will all work out in the end

Offline outsider82

• Sly
Re: 1 month sly
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:09:12 PM »
Congratulations sdb9,

I am just 3 days sly again. My parents saw the finished product last night and didn't mention much at all.

Mum just said, "Did you wax your head or something?"

I said "No, that would really hurt"

At rate I think i will make the 30 days trial period :)

Keep up the good work mate.

Pete

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 05:20:01 PM »
Hey #9,

Welcome to SBG, bro.

The guy I see on your avatar looks great (although a little blurry  :D) with a chrome dome.  Keep it for 30 days and see what happens.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »
Im curious as to where you live ?  Big city or small town ? US or elsewhere ?  The local demographics have a lot to do with how people react to a shaved headed guy. It is also a generational thing. Older people in their 60s, 70s + lets say , still have ideas from their youth and upbringing that a shaved head can be a negative I think.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:57:55 PM »
Have to agree with BostonBean -- although blurry, it looks like you really pull off the look well.  I'm glad you've made it a month despite no or negative comments.  Keep with it because it looks like a winner.  If you have a better pic, post it up.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:59 AM »
Hang in there sdb9.   What really matters is that you like being sly.  It's hard to tell what drove those other comments, could be envy and jealousy, you know?
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

sdb9

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 05:50:46 AM »
Im curious as to where you live ?  Big city or small town ? US or elsewhere ?  The local demographics have a lot to do with how people react to a shaved headed guy. It is also a generational thing. Older people in their 60s, 70s + lets say , still have ideas from their youth and upbringing that a shaved head can be a negative I think.

I  live in a small community from Canada.  Most of my comments come from people who know me but it is their first time seeing me sly.....and we tend to give each other a hard time about whatever we can think of, so i knew i was going hear a lot of jokes at my expense...... but the jokes do not bother me, especially from friends. 

I am sly because i am balding and i do not like the look of thinning hair/receding hairline atop my head......bc of this i was expecting a person or two to be a little supportive....but i haven't received anything positive from anyone.

I do not like to complain or even talk about myself, but after reading some similar comments to mine i felt i should write a post.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:19:04 AM »
Hang in there bro, it sometimes takes time! I recieved little to no negative on mine but I had been trimming it with a number 2 for a long time.

When getting the negative comments, I just respond with positive ones. Ya can't fight that!!!

(Man what did you do to your hair) "I shaved it and I love it. Best thing I ever did for myself"

Try it out and hang in there it really should get better.
It's all about attitude!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 07:34:31 AM »
#9, as you said, your friends are giving you a hard time in jest.  In reality, they have to like it as it does suit you.  Hang in there.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline youngtraveller

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
Hey dude, like the others have said - judging by that blurry photo you seem to look good!

I'm in your position - sortof - I havn't gone sly yet.. I'm waiting till I start to travel overseas and get away from all my friends and people I know who I'm sure would make life difficult for me..

But I think the reason you arn't getting any support / positive comments from your friends might be because they don't have to deal with MPB? So they don't realise how nasty it can be and how it eats away at you.. I know I never realised it could have anywhere near the affect it has on people until I experienced it myself..

Anyway, stay in there dude. If you like it, keep it.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »
Im almost 50 and have razor shaved my head for years. Im from a conservative small farming town and grew up in the 60s wearing crewcuts, etc.  A man with with a close haircut or shaved head was almost always thought of being a policeman or military man(or a veteran; many men kept it short or gone after coming home).  Additionally, close haircuts, flat top/shaved was identifed as being a working mans haircut. I remember flat tops being called that.

So, at least from my experience, that was the image of a flat top or shaved head where Im from.  The negative stereotype was long hair and earrings, body tatoos, etc. Men didnt wear them.  The only tatoos you saw were the ones of a military unit crest or a girlfriend on the insides of a veterans forearms.  (the reason soldiers and sailors often got them there is that they were hidden from front and side views in short sleeved uniforms).

Anyway, just my insight and observations...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:05:21 AM by skinhead002 »

Offline capthappy8p

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »
hey ousider and sdb, the bald look suits both of u very well and the negative comments happen...

shoot my firends tease me all the time, even though im not the only sly guy in the group and a few of my friends have thinning hair around the crown area...

my bald friends dont say anyhting its always the others..

I was called the bald nazy vampire, or "Naziferatu" which in a way i actually think is funny and kinda like...

or they call me chemo patient or crack fiend Tiberious (tiberious is my bald friend who shares the same height as me but has a few more pounds then i do)...

though i laugh it off when im around em im not gonna tell them it hurts my feelings, cause thats what they do tease anybody and everybody, but the bald jokes usually run out when we have some noobys in the group, thats where their attention gets focused on
Smile, cause im Happy