Author Topic: Well, it's over!  (Read 6093 times)

GASlick

Well, it's over!
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »
As many of you know, my wife and I own a small business in our hometown of Griffin, GA. 

We closed it up effective Monday.  The sales just are not there to support it.  We started it April 2007 and closed it May 4, 2009.  Not a bad run really for two people that have never run a business before.  We made some mistakes, but we did a lot of things right.  Most importantly, we learned from it.  (with our marriage intact - lol!)

I still have my night job and she still has her regular job so all is not lost.  We have steady income for the mortgage and all that stuff; and for that we are truly thankful!  It is sort of sad to see something that you put everything you have, financially and personally, into but it is also good that recognize when it is time to move on.

Financially, we are ruined.   I didn't know credit scores went that low - LOL  But again, we just pick up and move on.  We have an appointment with a bankruptcy attorney next week to help us sort out our options.  God is good and everything is in His hands.  So we march forward knowing that this one time that He is carrying us instead of walking beside us.  But He is always there.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Well, it's over!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:51:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that GA!  Hopefully this won't deter your entrepreneurial spirit.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
Stephen-

Way to keep that chin up. Faith will take you far.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:28:41 PM »
Well done on that positive outlook.  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
hey stephen:  i'm so sorry 2 hear about that.  i admire your positive outlook.  take care and GOD  bless U  & your family. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:31:21 PM »
Sorry about the circumstances....you're right though, 2+ yrs in this economy is not bad for a start up business.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 05:09:20 PM »
It really is a tough environment to start a business right now, and the climate in Washington these days isn't helpful either with politicians demonizing businesses that are just trying to survive.  I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight and wish you the best in the future.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that GA.  I know you put a lot of your heart into your business.   My prayers that you come out of all of this all right.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
Good luck in all that happens; you gave it a try and will never wonder "what if I had tried ...."
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »
You said the most important thing..your marriage is still intact..and man if you you still have your family you still have it all. Praying everything works out for your good.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

BaldRob

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about that...  Keep your chin up though!  You've still got the wife and a shiney bald head!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
Oh man...so sorry bro...

Hang in there and be lucky you have the wife, job and nice lookin' bald dome! O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »
Sorry it didn't work out.

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
Sorry to hear that bro!  Sounds like you made the smart choice though and you do still have your family and marriage and both still have steady jobs so kudos to you for going for it and succeeding.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
Sorry about your business, but you still have your family and a great attitude to move on and keep going, and hopefully when the time is right go for it again with your new found experience. O0 O0 O0

Enter your email address: