Author Topic: Any turkey hunters?  (Read 12029 times)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Any turkey hunters?
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:46:18 AM »
While I have hunted deer since a kid, I wanted to try the spring turkey season which will be coming up soon.   Anyone done it?  Any advice?  This will be my first attempt.

"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Any turkey hunters?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:01:41 AM »
Never been turkey hunting, but I do know, ya gotta have good camo that covers the entire body. The scent blocker is a must also. Then ya gotta sit real still and carry a big gun. That's about all I know.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:45:08 AM »
Never been turkey hunting, but I do know, ya gotta have good camo that covers the entire body. The scent blocker is a must also. Then ya gotta sit real still and carry a big gun. That's about all I know.
Bought extra camo but didn't know turkeys can smell.  Ah, to have the wisdom of a redneck.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »
Been turkey hunting once.  They are real stupid birds.  Fired at one 4 times before I hit it.  Never moved.  Had a blast doing it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:15:55 PM »
never been turkey hunting...i mainly do squirrel,rabbit and duck/geese whenever i can, here in Virginia its hard to find a place to hunt and leases are way too expensive....but since i'm moving back to panama city i plan on getting into turkey and deer hunting as long as it doesnt hinder my fishing time.......i never shot a deer so i'll be on top of that one first!..maybe i can find a cheap lease in alabama with turkey and deer on it.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

spaceape48

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 04:30:16 PM »
Turkey hunting is WAAY better than deer, hands down. The thing with turkeys is that they have some killer eyesite. They will spot you very quick, so stillness is key. Try to not hunt on top of any mountains or hills either. They are notorious for using the skyline to detect movement. I like the squack boxes they have for calls- usally made of wood with one side for the male call and one for the female.

Your adrenaline def gets going when you hear that Tom calling back to you and running your way. Good times- keep us up to post. Practice with that box before going out there too.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »
where you at in florida spaceape?

the problem i'll have with turkey hunting is its not enough meat....i dont hunt for sport i hunt to fill my freezer and the deer will do that quicker than a couple turkeys...then once my freezer is full i can get back to fishin lol...i went deer hunting ONCE..hated it....i sat in a tree stand for 2 hours with squirrels moving all around me..smoked a fatty...waited awhile longer.. no deer.....and then got frustrated so i started shooting the squirrel's..haven't deer hunted since lol..of course i was a teenager and had zero patience at the time....

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
I love hunting..............for good fishing spots. O0

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »
lol i hear dat! ...i like riding around on tournament days with my handheld GPS  :*))

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »
I haven't been turkey hunting, other than the turkeys that we used to catch in the pin at my buddies farm and "prepare" for Thanksgiving dinner.  I have hunted Deer, Elk, Ducks, Quail, Pig, and Pheasant.

I do know that a good call, good camo, and stillness is required.  Don't take any red bandanas with you and start wiping your face with them while using a Turkey call.  You're likely to get shot doing that.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

spaceape48

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 05:20:18 PM »
In central Florida. Haven't been in a while, did most of my spring gobbler in PA though. The woods there were way more beautiful-more of a mountain guy. Plus no skeets to bother you. Deer def have more food per pound, but the hunt is much more enjoyable with spring gobbler, even if you don't kill anything.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:26:17 PM »
where you at in florida spaceape?

the problem i'll have with turkey hunting is its not enough meat....i dont hunt for sport i hunt to fill my freezer and the deer will do that quicker than a couple turkeys...then once my freezer is full i can get back to fishin lol...i went deer hunting ONCE..hated it....i sat in a tree stand for 2 hours with squirrels moving all around me..smoked a fatty...waited awhile longer.. no deer.....and then got frustrated so i started shooting the squirrel's..haven't deer hunted since lol..of course i was a teenager and had zero patience at the time....

Been deer hunting all my life, in fact in the U.P. opening day is an actual school holiday.  Want to turkey hunt to fill time between deer and bear season and the opening day of walleye season  If you want a lot of meat, need to go moose hunting, filll yours and a neightbors freezer.  Spaceape, thanks for the call input, just what I needed, an particular model or brand?
Ditto on the hunting for fish, Paul

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
Does hunting turkys and deer with my truck count? >:D >:D
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 06:01:05 PM »
Double barrel or over and under truck?

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »
Wild Turkey?  dr!#k

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Enter your email address: