7 (23.3%)
Gillette Mach 3
14 (46.7%)
Headblade
8 (26.7%)
Schick Quattro
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Best Razor  (Read 12817 times)

Offline mouse404

• Sly Jr.
Best Razor
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
since so many people have different tastes, would be nice to see which razor is actually the most prefered.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
Re: Best Razor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »
I think that you should have a few more options, because I personally think that the HeadBlade is hands down the best razor for shaving my head, because of it's desighn (Thanks Todd) it offers superrior controll.

Having said that, I use the fusion for shaving my face, I cannot stand shick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline mouse404

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »
how come u dont like the schick tom?

i was goin to give it a shot after im done with these mach 3 blades.

and the headblade..............................idk i couldnt even get it to push without any pressure so i just stopped and went back to the mach 3.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:48:31 PM »
I don't like the shick simply because of those pesky little wires they have accross the blades. They are a good concept don't get me wrong, however I find that they make it pretty near impossible to rince the blade clean, especially if you don't shave every day, and your hair is a little longer.

Oh and Mouse404, I think that I missed your intro as well so I apologise for saying this late but, Welcome to the SBG Family.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:50:59 PM by Tom McGarry. »

Offline mouse404

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »
well ive tried the mach 3, headblade, and panasonic linear wet/dry.

so far its mach 3 for me, but for some reason i feel like maybe the fusion, quattro, or something else will give me a closer shave. i dont care how long it takes i just want the closest shave possible without irritation! (cough* panasonic cough*)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »
I'll have to write up a Master Class on using the Panasonic Linear when I get time.  You can get a close irritation free shave with it, but prep is everything.

More on that later.  (Mark would you like to collaborate?)

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:41:08 PM »
Gillette Fusion user over here, but starting tomorrow I'm going to fire up the Mach 3 again, mostly because it's a great razor and the blades are cheaper. Fusion blades crush my wallet.

Offline 20, bald, and loving it

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 12:14:55 AM »
I have always used the Mac 3 and really like it.

Offline Bald Kahuna

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Paddling outrigger w/Princess Kahuna-Maui coast
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
I've used the Mach 3 for over a year and love it but... I'd like to try the Panasonic Linear as I understand it's a wet/dry razor.

Red, what constitutes "prep is everything" ? I'm kinda lazy and would like to shave in the shower-what prep is involve, in and out of the shower? If this has been covered before could you point me to the specific posts that deal with it? C#)P
Bald Kahuna

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
I've used the Mach 3 for over a year and love it but... I'd like to try the Panasonic Linear as I understand it's a wet/dry razor.

Red, what constitutes "prep is everything" ?

OK, if you can invest about 30 minutes in your shave here's my routine:

OK, here goes.  I'm not one of those people who has ever shaved their head in five minutes.  I believe that pre-shave prep and post-shave treatment goes into making a highly successful shave.

Get into shower, wash head with St. Ives Exfoliant (every other day only) otherwise, wash head with the cleanser of your choice.  Right now I'm using Citizen Smooth head Cleanser.  Smells great!

Apply Mario Badescu Pre-Shave Conditioner (or any good shaving oil), then King of Shaves MagnaGel.  Leave on while washing all your other bits 

Shave head completely with the Panasonic Linear electric.  Keep head reasonably wet, but don't wash off too much of the gel.  Run the Linear all over your head in every direction that the hair grows.  Keep a good pressure on the razor, but don't bear down to heavily.

Apply more MagnaGel.  Now shave against the grain with the Gillette Fusion (or the razor of your choice).  Rinse, wash head and face with the facial cleanser of your choice.  I'm using Men Science at the moment.  Rinse, then do a cold water rinse before getting out of the shower.

Pat dry.  Apply Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera liberally.  Let air dry.  Now ice cube rub and another cold water rinse.  Pat dry.  Let air dry again.  Apply Origins Firefighter.  Let air dry.  Apply a good moisturiser before leaving the house.  I'm using Origins Organic or Mario Badescu After Shave Balm presently.  Yes, I am a product 'ho.  I'm always trying different moisturisers.  Start to finish, about 30 minutes.  While you're waiting on all these 'air dry' sessions brush your teeth, or whatever other daily routines you need to do.

That's it!  :o
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »
I like MachIII and Fusion, but I voted for Fusion because it just has the edge: it gets a good smooth shave, and I've NEVER cut myself with it 8)

I used MachIII a lot, but often cut myself.

The only downside of Fusion is the expense. >:(  But the great shave is worth it! ^-^

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
None of the above.
It's the Bull Mastiff. :x!

Offline darkknight1

• Sly Jr.
  • Yes, even Batman is sly!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
I have been head shaving for over a year now...I have tried all sorts of razors, from the fusion to Schick Extreme III to Headblade.  I prefer the headblade over all of them, because of the control factor.  However, my normal routine is to headblade with headslick.  Then, I apply some Aveeno Positively Smooth, and use my fusion for the final touch.  A great combination in my book....

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
    • www.myspace.com/dangman
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »

Red, what constitutes "prep is everything" ?

OK, if you can invest about 30 minutes in your shave here's my routine:

OK, here goes.  I'm not one of those people who has ever shaved their head in five minutes.  I believe that pre-shave prep and post-shave treatment goes into making a highly successful shave.

Get into shower, wash head with St. Ives Exfoliant (every other day only) otherwise, wash head with the cleanser of your choice.  Right now I'm using Citizen Smooth head Cleanser.  Smells great!

Apply Mario Badescu Pre-Shave Conditioner (or any good shaving oil), then King of Shaves MagnaGel.  Leave on while washing all your other bits 

Shave head completely with the Panasonic Linear electric.  Keep head reasonably wet, but don't wash off too much of the gel.  Run the Linear all over your head in every direction that the hair grows.  Keep a good pressure on the razor, but don't bear down to heavily.

Apply more MagnaGel.  Now shave against the grain with the Gillette Fusion (or the razor of your choice).  Rinse, wash head and face with the facial cleanser of your choice.  I'm using Men Science at the moment.  Rinse, then do a cold water rinse before getting out of the shower.

Pat dry.  Apply Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera liberally.  Let air dry.  Now ice cube rub and another cold water rinse.  Pat dry.  Let air dry again.  Apply Origins Firefighter.  Let air dry.  Apply a good moisturiser before leaving the house.  I'm using Origins Organic or Mario Badescu After Shave Balm presently.  Yes, I am a product 'ho.  I'm always trying different moisturisers.  Start to finish, about 30 minutes.  While you're waiting on all these 'air dry' sessions brush your teeth, or whatever other daily routines you need to do.

That's it!  :o

Jesus dude  I think you forgot to mention the part where you have to disassemble a nuclear bobmb of sorts. I gave up on all those moisturizers and what not. I just use a little bit of cocoa butter or noxzema right after i shave and i just let it sit while i'm cleaning up. then I rinse it off. I can't leave that stuff on there it leaves the slimey nasty feeling. I only use the moisturizers if its winter time and my skin gets all dried out otherwise i just stick with going bare so to speak.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:11:03 AM by Dan-O-Mite »
Its good to be bald my friends :)

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 09:14:41 AM »
I'm not sure about the US but here in Canada I've noticed that the Walmart stores here are now selling the Persona razor and and replacement blades. Persona now offers a 5 Blade razor compareable to the Gillette Fusion it also offers the trimmer blade at the top of the head like the Fusion blade. But here is the difference.

In Canada the Fusion Handle with One Cartrige retails for $ 11.99 plus 13% Tax, while a pack of 4 Replacement Cartriges Retail for $ 17.99 plus tax

The Persona razor called the M5 Magnum ( Compareable to the Fusion ) with Two cartriges retails for a woping $ 6.49 Plus tax and a pack of 4 Replacement cartriges retail for,,,,are you ready for this???...... $6.49, yes 4 blades for $6.49.

So the question then is does it do a good job?

Answere: Yes it does a fantastic job, I bought one because of the price, to try it out, and I am very happy with the results.

No the M5 Magnum blade will "NOT" fit the Fusion handle, but on the plus side the tripple blade cartriged from persona will fit the sensor adaptor for the HeadBlade and also works very well. The retail for $3.99 for a 4 pack.

Just thought you all should know.

Here is a link so you can check out the M5 Magnum.   http://www.personna.com/personna/blades/shaving/