Author Topic: A couple of HeadBlade questions...  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Drake Aldan

• Learning the way of Sly
A couple of HeadBlade questions...
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
Hi everyone. A few things came up recently which prompted me to wonder...

1) You can use a number of shaving lubricants with the HeadBlade, correct? I ran out of the HeadSlick sample on the first shave (in retrospect, I probably used too much) and I've been using baby oil instead (I read somewhere that it was passable). Though, I still can feel some razor drag, and it is probably not the absolute best thing to be using. I heard some good things about the Aveeno Positively Smooth shave gel, so I went to my local Walgreens (convenient!) and bought some this afternoon- hopefully that'll work out.

2) I shaved this morning with the HeadBlade, as Tyler suggested- front to back, then back to front. It may be that my head wasn't wet enough, or baby oil just isn't cutting it, but I seem to have a pretty close shave... but not a really close shave. There are still some rough patches, especially on the crown of the head. Would it be grasping for straws if I tried during shaving to shave in different directions other than vertical for places like these, or is it safer to just accept my head as it is?

3) When can you tell it's time to change the blade? Is there something to look out for? I kinda don't want the indicator being the razor scraping my head before I realize it needs changing.

4) What should you put on your head after shaving? I am running out of the lotion samples that came with the blade... Is it even necessary to put something on after shaving? Thinking about getting the HeadLube SPF 30, since I'd rather just use one product instead of a whole bunch for head care. Maintenance isn't supposed to be hard or complicated, right?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A couple of HeadBlade questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
1) Headslick is awesome as well as Baldguyz shaving gel.  Either one is what I would recommend.  You do not have to use very much at all.  Try just using about a nickel size amount and if that isnt enough apply a little more.

2)  You can go in any direction with the headblade-sp.   It may also help if you change hands if you havent already.  I find that going from the front towards teh top of the noggin then working your way "UP" starting from the back of the neck.  Once you get use to it, it is easy to manuever.  I have mastered starting from the back and in one swipe right up and over the ear.  Your palm will sort of pivot on your ear.

3) you will know when it is time to change your blade.  Y ou will start to feel that it is real stubbly in the path you just shaved, and you will get alot of  "pull"

4) most us I think apply some kind of after shave lotion to a freshly shaved noggin.  Try this...after you have showered and shaved, rub an ice cube over your noggin. It will make it nice and tight and it is a refreshing feeling as well.  I keep 100% aloe vera in the fridge to keep it nice and cold.  ALoe wil give it a nice shine as well.  Always remember to put sunscreen on when you are going to be out doors.  WE CAN NOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:29:46 AM »
Timmj............ actually having serious, and correct, answers for once......... :*))
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »
1) Walmart has a thing called "Shave Secret" which is clove oil and some other stuff, comes in a small (1 oz?) bottle. After I wash my skull I put about 10 drops of Secret in my hands and rub them together and then massage my skull with it. Do this while the skull is still wet. Then I put whatever shaving cream I happen to be using right over it. I tend to favor Head Slick or some of the Edge gels.

2) I go front to back on the top and sides and back to front on the back. Basically it's just going against the grain. After the initial shave I run my hand over my head and feel where there is stubble and I go against the grain in those spots as well.

3) I usually watch the lube strips. Once they start to appear worn I change the cartridge. Better that than blood letting. In the event of a cut a styptic pencil burns like hell but it does stop the bleeding. Also, did you know that the original HB is made for cartridges that fit, I believe, the Atra razor? They also make an adaptor that takes Sensor-type carts. My fave is the Sensor Excel but there are some other brands, like Personna triples, that fit, too. I don't have real good blood retention with the HBs for some reason.
Point being that there are other, less expensive, carts out there and there will inevitably be the one that you find to be just right.

4) I use a mixture that I make myself as an aftershave. I get a bottle of Dickinson's Witch Hazel and mix in a good portion of Aloe Vera gel, enough to thicken it just a bit. Then I drip in about 20 drops of Tea Tree Oil, I always get the real oil and not just a fragrance. Health food/vitamin stores (GNC, etc) carry the oil. Shake it before every use as there is always some separation  of the ingredients.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:39:04 AM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
1) Walmart has a thing called "Shave Secret" which is clove oil and some other stuff, comes in a small (1 oz?) bottle. After I wash my skull I put about 10 drops of Secret in my hands and rub them together and then massage my skull with it. Do this while the skull is still wet. Then I put whatever shaving cream I happen to be using right over it. I tend to favor Head Slick or some of the Edge gels.

2) I go front to back on the top and sides and back to front on the back. Basically it's just going against the grain. After the initial shave I run my hand over my head and feel where there is stubble and I go against the grain in those spots as well.

3) I usually watch the lube strips. Once they start to appear worn I change the cartridge. Better that than blood letting. In the event of a cut a styptic pencil burns like hell but it does stop the bleeding. Also, did you know that the original HB is made for cartridges that fit, I believe, the Atra razor? They also make an adaptor that takes Sensor-type carts. My fave is the Sensor Excel but there are some other brands, like Personna triples, that fit, too. I don't have real good blood retention with the HBs for some reason.
Point being that there are other, less expensive, carts out there and there will inevitably be the one that you find to be just right.

4) I use a mixture that I make myself as an aftershave. I get a bottle of Dickinson's Witch Hazel and mix in a good portion of Aloe Vera gel, enough to thicken it just a bit. Then I drip in about 20 drops of Tea Tree Oil, I always get the real oil and not just a fragrance. Health food/vitamin stores (GNC, etc) carry the oil. Shake it before every use as there is always some separation  of the ingredients.

I find that putting some headslick on the lube strips after shaving seems to make them last longer.

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
  • They call it the Damato
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:03 PM »
Timmj............ actually having serious, and correct, answers for once......... :*))

He must have taken his meds.

Enter your email address: