Author Topic: Overcome your fears  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Overcome your fears
« on: April 25, 2009, 02:18:22 AM »
In order to be successful at anything you need to overcome your fears.  Typically we're fearful that we will fail at the very things we need to do to become successful.   I was watching a video of a speech from Tim Ferris in which he talks about one thing he does to overcome fear.  The one thing that he does is that he asks himself, "What's the worst thing that will happen if I try this?"

If you can break your fear down by using that simple question, I think you'll find that your fear really isn't as big of deal as you thought it was.

Next time you are afraid to do something, just ask yourself the question above.  Write down the answers if you have to.  For example, what's the worst thing that could happen if you shaved your head?  Many of us know the answer to that and realized that the answer wasn't that scary.  In fact, many times what we thought was the answer never even came true.

If you are interested in the video, you can go to: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/tim_ferriss_smash_fear_learn_anything.html

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
Re: Overcome your fears
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:32:26 AM »
Very good message Bro'

another place that a similar idea is brought up is in "The Game"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:34:06 AM by nomad »

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »
Very good message Bro'

You're talking the one with Sean Penn and Michael Douglass eh?

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
Very true Tyler.    The biggest problem with having fears is that they are mostly irrational. 
I cannot believe all the fears I had about being bald (i.e. with shaved head).  Now that I have been shaving for 8 months
I realize how irrational those fears were.   

BALDANDRE

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:04:03 PM »
So true bro...thanks for the reminder! O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:35:02 AM »
Very good message Bro'

You're talking the one with Sean Penn and Michael Douglass eh?

No, I think he's talking about the book by Neil Strauss.  Though, I think the same message is delivered in the movie.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.