Author Topic: To tattoo or not a sly thing?  (Read 18603 times)

Offline jasonworld

• Sly Guy in Training
To tattoo or not a sly thing?
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »
Okay here is the deal. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo on my upper arm where a typical t-shirt sleeve will cover it. I have already done the design for it myself. I'm not a bad artist and it's a cross with a burning sun behind it. I'm thinking of adding a tribal band that wraps around my arm in with it.

I guess what has drawn me to want to get one at age 35 is the whole sly with tats bad ass thing. I'm like every sly that went through the MPB stage and how you have to make changes. I have found that staying physical fit,tanning bed,attitude,working with your dome to make it look good helps. I love the chicks so anything to help, i will do in a heartbeat. I have also found that being sly does draw a different type of gal anyway. I never really liked the barbie doll go play with Kens hair type anyway.

The only draw back and one of the reasons I have not got one before now is  I hate to say is my Mom :-[ she is very religous and that's why i like upper arm area so at family functions i don't have to listen to the your going to burn in hell kind of thing :) trust me a bunch of old school religous gals can be rough on a dude.

I guess my point is do you guys think the sly and tattoo kind of go in hand to a certain degree?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: To tattoo or not a sly thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
>I guess my point is do you guys think the sly and tattoo kind of go in hand to a certain degree?

Without a doubt.

I'm still in the design phase of my first (at 51).

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:32:26 PM »
I am fixing to get one...just do not know what it is going to be yet.  My wife..she isnt too keen on the idea, but she would tolerate it.  So she says....

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:34:26 AM »
I am fixing to get one...just do not know what it is going to be yet.  My wife..she isnt too keen on the idea, but she would tolerate it.  So she says....
:*))

Why dont you get a pair of red and whites tattooed on Timm?
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:35:15 AM »
I think you have already made your mind up. Go for it!  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:23:03 AM »
I think tats and SLy do sort of go together.... but I believe that it has a lot to do with the fact that both are sort of working outside the norms of society. If you shave your head, which many paople don't do, I think you're more likely to do other things that most people don't do....... like  get a tattoo.

I got my first tattoo at 47.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 06:13:51 AM »
To be honest, I am personally not a tattoo type of guy.  But I do feel that tattoos and shaved heads often do go together.

It is a good idea to do it above where a shirt can cover it.  Not only would you possibly keep the old traditional "religious" gals from telling you that you are going to hell, it would help in the job market.

When I used to work for Starbucks, which can attract trendy type kids, the regulations were that tattoos could not be exposed on the work floor.  I know that in the business world, appearance can be a issue.  I don't know if you would deal with any of this kind of stuff, but I do think it is good to err on the side of caution if one is to get a tattoo.  So no facial tattoos either!   :*))

As for the "religious" folks, I should say that I am a Christian and know others in my church with tattoos.  To me, Christianity or any faith, is supposed to be a matter of the heart, not appearance.  Sometimes well meaning "religious" or Christian folks get their focus off of God and onto appearances.  So if you do share some of your mom's faith, I don't believe that tattoos are necessarily contrary to having faith.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 06:59:09 AM »
:*))

Why dont you get a pair of red and whites tattooed on Timm?

Heyyyyyyyy!  Thats an Idea!  hmmmmm

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »
Yea if you want 1, definitely get 1...
I just got my first in January, its at the top of my arm well out of sight, although both my 'rents have seen it and are cool with it.

For some ppl tats and shav'd heads do go hand in hand... I think of it as more of an individual thing. so if you want 1, get 1... just 1 tho. don't go over board. each tattoo should be seriously thought out.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
I have quite a collections of tats.  I've not received negative remarks about them, mostly curiousity. I really don't think the religious factor come into play; more of judging attitude.  My neighbor lady who is very religious is OK with the tats, but raked me over the coals when I went Sly.  Go figure? I say, if you want one, more power to you.  Go for it!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »
One basis for the "religious" issue on tattooing is based in the Bible, “You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord” (Leviticus 19:28) Accordingly Jewish people have had rules against it.  Muslims as well have religious reasons to avoid it.  Things change, but that it is the basis for it.  Muslims in Iraq have had tattoos in order to provide a way to identify the bodies of those killed in the resistance movement.  I found the following excerpt on the web concerning the teachings of Islam, ", The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam, the prominent Muslim scholar, Sheik Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:
'Islam denounces excesses in beautifying oneself when it alters the physical features that Allah created him with. The Glorious Qur'an considers such alterations as inspired by Satan, who "...will command them (his devotees) to change what Allah has created...' (An-Nisa': 119) "  Thus tattooing since it changes the "creation" is a satanic inspiration.

Although I wouldn't do it personally as an aesthetic matter, rather than religious, I do think some of the tribal bands on guys arms aren't bad looking.  I just wonder what time and the sun will do the the crisp edges.  I think it was Jimmy Buffet--and he's an controversial character to some here--said one time that a tattoo is a "permanent reminder of a temporary state of mind."  That's pretty good.  Clearly a matter that is totally in the subjective realm of choice--but it's a long term choice and very expensive to reverse. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:11:40 PM by saintc »

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »
I say definitely go for it.  tats look really cool with a SLY shaved dome.  Upper arm is good, and I like the design you mentioned.  I myself am 38 and not got a tat yet, but lookin at the ages of some of the guys here when they got their first I realise I still got time.  

I'd like a couple on upper arms and maybe lower leg, which looks cool with shorts in the summer.  I certainly hope to get my first tat before I'm 40 in a couple of years. 8)

I say go for it!  Hopefully I won't be far behind! O0

BALDANDRE

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »
Without a doubt...go for it...but think about it...and I suggest if you're kinda not sure...livin' with a markered up version on your area you want might be a good way to have a trial run... then, do ya like what that likes like on your arm..

if yes...do it! O0

Just don't mark up your sly dome with tats...keep it lookin' clean! ;)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »
Never had any desire to have a tattoo.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »
The general rule for anyone thinking about a tattoo is to wait a year and a day, and after that if you still want it. Go for it.

People may harp on you that they will be stretched/faded/look bad later in life but the truth is that tattoo technology has come a long way in the past 30 years and for the most part as long as you go to a reputable artist you shouldn't have many of those problems.

Granted not everyone takes care of their tattoo's and bakes them in the sun w/out sunscreen only weeks after getting them, or goes swimming in a chlorinated pool [big no no's while it's still new] I've seen many a tramp stamp turned into a puddle of color.

The best place for tattoo stories, and advice is http://www.bmezine.com/ Just about every kind of body modification you can think of.