Author Topic: Worklog - Project: Grunge Honey  (Read 5996 times)

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
Worklog - Project: Grunge Honey
« on: April 09, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Well with Tyler's permission I am setting up a work log here on a case mod I am starting.

Case modification (commonly referred to as case modding) is the modification of a computer chassis (often just referred to as the case), or a video game console chassis. Modifying a computer case in any non-standard way is considered a case mod. Many people, particularly hardware enthusiasts, use case mods to illustrate a computer's power (by showing off the internal hardware), and also for aesthetic purposes. Cases may also be modified to improve a computer's performance. - wikipedia

I'm posting my work log here because quite frankly, SBG has a greater sense of community than case mod forums anyway.

My goals for this mod is to increase airflow, aesthetics, and reuse as much of the case itself so I don't waste anything.

The theme is grunge, based around a stencil I based on one of my tattoos.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
Re: Worklog - Project: Grunge Honey
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »
I couldn't find an identifying manufacturing number, or a model name. But these show its construction, its made from lightweight aluminum, with the side and top panels from steel. It's a pretty big case, almost three feet tall. I am going to cut a 140mm fan hole in the upper rear with a small 80mm fan hole that should be directly across from the cpu once the motherboard is installed. I plan on putting dual turbine style 120mm fan intakes in the bezel. Other details I'll fill in later.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:57:19 PM by shdwwlk »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »
After drilling out a lot of rivets, I have the chassis pretty bare. I removed the rolling castor case feet, and I'll replace them with something better later.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »
I glued the 3.5" bay covers, I'm removing both 3.5" bay cages, throwing one out and relocating one up into a 5.25" bay later on.

Prepped the rear to drill the 80mm fan hole, I'm using a bi-metal hole saw kit by BMR for this and the 120mm fan holes later on. Drill mount holes is as easy as squaring the wire fan grills over the hole and marking them. I used a jig saw to cut out the 140mm fan hole.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »
I cut out the lower front, cut the hole in the side panel for a window, cut out the two holes on the top for a pair of recessed handles I had lying around and used the metal that came out of the side panel to cut a piece to fit what I cut out of the front.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 06:31:03 PM by shdwwlk »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »
I cut out the 120mm holes to mount the two front 120mm fans in the piece that is going to replace the front lower half. I then took a 5.25" bay cover and marked out three holes for some bad ass military switches, a chrome finish top flanked by two carbon fiber top switches.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
Drilled out with a half inch bit.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
Primed and sealed via Duplicolor Primer, and Duplicolor Primer Sealer. Chassis is done, but I only have the first coat done on the rest.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
You can see the size of the window here. I believe it is 11" X 17" inches.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 09:03:02 PM »
Painted the chassis and other parts with Duplicolor's Matte black, in a rattle can.

The 3.5" bays actually clip together one the bottom, so I sat one inside a 5.25" bay and marked where the clips rested. I drilled that out and squared it using a nibbler so that it can clip in, I also drilled very small holes at the end to secure it with rivets later on.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 09:07:05 PM »
And I painted the side panels and bay covers with Daytona Yellow engine enamel paint, by Duplicolor. I plan on doing on painting them tomorrow with Duplicolor's yellow/gold metal cast as a clear coat, giving it the honey color I want.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
Metal cast is applied, I made it run in places so that it gave the illusion of honey having run down the sides. I also applied the metal cast to the top of the bolts I'm using to secure the fans and recessed handles. It was as simple as poking them through a piece of newspaper and painting them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:57:00 PM by shdwwlk »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »
Lower front panel cut out riveted in. The rivets don't have to be even this is after all supposed to be grunge, mnpctech machined case feet bolted in, and the 3.5" bay riveted into the lower 5.25" bay.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »
I installed the recessed handles, the window kit and I cut out my stencil and painted the side panel without the window.

One of my cats knocked the side panel off my work table, and you can see the scratch. In this case it doesn't matter because it makes it more grunge I guess.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:21:01 PM by shdwwlk »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »
I started working on the bezel. I cut two lipped ducts that are approximately 120mm in diameter and cut them to the same length as the bezel is thick, and used a 120mm holesaw to cut the appropriate holes for them. I duct taped around the inside to secure them temporarily.

I am going to use short strand bondo to sculpt the front of the bezel, so I also prepped some applicators from a empty yogurt container. The ridges give them strength not found in the applicators you can buy made by bondo.