Author Topic: Young guys (Bald at 21...finally)  (Read 30365 times)

Offline Lol

• Sly Guy in Training
Young guys (Bald at 21...finally)
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:26:32 AM »
Hi all

I've been 'lurking' around this site for the best part of 8 months now. I've read testimonies, looked at what celebs are going/gone sly, and thinking about my own 'situation'.

At 17, I had a full head of hair, really thick...I loved it. But I took it for granted. I had never really thought about going bald, naturally or by choice. My Dad is bald and to be honest (although I'd probably never tell him) it looks great on him. He would look weird and unnatural with hair. At around 18 I noticed my hair was going a bit thin, my old man once said to me: So what would you do if your hair started to go. My reply was: Just shave it off. It's only hair.

But when the time came...

Yes, you guessed it. I fought nature like hell. I went to consultations, looking at ways to keep my hair, to regrow my hair; anything to not be like my Dad.

At 18 it didn't seem fair. Why me? Why not my friends? I had never had a problem with confidence. I'd considered modelling (don't want to blow my own trumpet, but if no one else will!) but decided against it. I enjoyed playing sport and hanging out with friends. Now it seemed like everything had to stop. Why? Because I was losing my mop!

The lengths we go to in order to deny the obvious, the inevitable, the hand we were dealt. I would use a can of hair spray a day to keep it in place, wear an utterly ridiculous hair band to keep it down when I played sport. I was forever fiddling and touching my hair. I don't know why because the hair I had I hated. At 20 it was really going. My confidence remained in tact for the most part, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't keep me awake at night. Because it did. A lot.

I got into a relationship with a woman from work who is quite a bit older than me. She was, apart from my Dad, the first person I ever spoke to at any length about what I was going through. And you can probably guess what she said: Shave it off, please!

It affected our sex life, it was affecting my performance on the pitch at football, I would shower at hers but refuse to get my hair wet. So, one day before I was due to fly to Prague with a few friends, I did it. My Dad shaved my head and it's the best thing I've done in a long, long time.

Of course, at first I was unsure. But it's been two months now and the changes are incredible. I don't worry about balding, because I'm not. I'm bald, I'm healthy and most of all...I'm happy. Everyone has commented positively, even my friends (after some ribbing, of course) urged me to keep it this way.

What I want to say to young guys who are in my situation is this. I know how you feel, I sympathise with you. I've been there, at the bottom of a can of hair spray. It doesn't seem fair, it seems like everything will change. And it will. But I truly believe things will change for the better.

My girlfriend loves it. My friends and family think it looks so much better.

But most of all...I love it.

Think about your life, about the things that really matter, about the people who really care about you. The people you know now and the people you will meet in the future. The likelyhood is that if they're bothered about whether you've got hair on your head or not, they don't really matter.

Personally I try not to judge people on their looks. I will give as much time to a girl with a 34b cup as I will with a girl who has 34dd's. It's just your body. It's not who you are.

Guys, please, don't let your hair hold you back. Hold back your hair and shave it off!

Be brave, be bold, be bald!

Thanks for listening

Lol

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:29:00 AM by Lol »

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russell

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Young guys (Bald at 21...finally)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:30:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum Lol and thanks for sharing that uplifiting and positive point of view.  It is a must read for all the younger bros struggling with the decision to go sly.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:35:17 AM »
This is like the poster child story to why us young ones need to shave if its falling out. Well done, and welcome!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Lol

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:41:27 AM »
Hey guys and thanks

If our stories and shared experiences can help at least one person see the light at the end of the tunnel, then we did something right!!
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russell

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
Lol, welcome, and thanks for sharing that very positive attitude.   O0
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
A big Scottish welcome and thanks for that uplifting intron
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »
Such a very true post.. Congrats on the decision.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »
Great intro!  Welcome!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
great post man. you should post a pic. you seem like a nice dude.

also.....how much hair did you lose before you decided to shave it off? are we talking bald or badly thinning? its good that a lot of young guys can relate.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
Hey Lol,

Welcome here, buddy.  A story that will inspire all the young lads.  Thanks for that.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 01:37:12 PM »
welcome aboard!
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

flatdave

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »
Welcome Lol!  What an inspiration your story will have for alot of other future Sly Guys.

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »
yep, the first half of your story sounds alot like mine.
Glad to have you on the team. see you around.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »
great story and great decision... welcome
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline 20, bald, and loving it

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
Great story and welcome

Enter your email address: