Author Topic: When did you notice the increase of shaved headed folk?  (Read 4384 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
When did you notice the increase of shaved headed folk?
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:53:56 PM »
It seems to me that in the past, it was very uncommon to see a man with a shaved head.  Obviously, there was always Telly Savalas and Yul Brenner.  I also remember in the early 90's the lead singer for Midnight Oil.  That was about it for famous people.  On occasion I would see a shaved headed guy.  One was a semi-regular customer in the store that I worked in who was a fireman.  But it seemed to be about 1994 that I took notice of the trend.  Here in Seattle, I especially remember Jay Buhner Buzz Cut Night at the Mariners.  That is about when I started noticing the popularity of the look.  As my hair started to thin, I toyed with the idea and then actually got a headshave at the Mariners.  When did you all start noticing the bald is beautiful trend?

Offline medicineman

• Head shaver/Beard grower
  • Sly Jr.
Re: When did you notice the increase of shaved headed folk?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
The first time I shaved my head was in 1998/99.  At that time there just wasn't any shaved heads on men (white men anyway) in my area (Western PA).  The only ones who did were racist skinheads.  I took more crap from family/friends/co-workers about the look that I eventually gave in and grew my hair back.  I wasn't until 2003 or so that I started to notice more men locally who shaved their heads.  It took me until 2005 to do the deed again and I have never been happier about the look.

Offline dieseldan04

• Dieseldan04
  • Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:44:34 PM »
I first shaved my head in 2000 and it was fairly uncommon around here.  I worked as a corrections officer then, so some of us did it especially with all of the former military people we had there.  Here in Wyoming it didn't catch on much until about 2004, but it isn't very common because of the extreme climate.
Dieseldan04

Shine On Fellow Chrome Domers!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 08:31:14 PM »
That's a good question, Marsh.

I guess it would be with guys like Michael Jordan, Shaqeel O'Neal and those guys.  Then maybe some of the Olympic swimmers & divers.

But the conclusion was, "man, black dudes sport the bald look very well."

I guess it was after that that I noticed more and more white guys sporting the look.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
I first noticed some white guys with shaved heads in the mid-90s.  It was still fairly uncommon and seemed like an odd thing to do.  I remember asking myself why anyone would do that.   By the late 90s,  the look had grown in popularity.  My hair was starting to seriously thin by then and I was beginning to think about giving it a try. 

Now, of course, it has become totally mainstream.  I think we're pretty much to the point where any guy who is balding and under the age of 45, who doesn't shave his head is considered the oddity, instead of the other way around.

Offline TXFergie

• Sly Jr.
  • TXFergie on Day two of being shorn
    • TXFergie's MySpace Page!!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 10:09:43 PM »
Granted, I am still a newbie, but I have noticed more and more men around here (Austin, Texas) have been shaving. At my job, there are probably 10 guys in my groups of 50 that are shaved. Well, I guess they can make it 11 now!!

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:42:36 PM »
well if we keep this up..the women will no choice but to like bald guys!!
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:16:43 AM »
well if we keep this up..the women will no choice but to like bald guys!!

AYE!!!!!!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline agassi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 11:32:30 PM »
i didnt notice how many there was until i shaved my head

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 02:06:47 AM »
i dont know if it cuz i shave and just notice it more but i see tons of guys now that shave..its an sly epidemic! O0 whats cool is i dont think it will stop either...especially for balding guys...there is now another option on the table other than hats and plugs and horseshoes...
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »
As soon as I started shaving my head!  It's like when you buy a new car, suddenly you notice everyone on the road with the same one!   :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 03:44:41 PM »
I see lots of guys with shaved heads every day.  Yet none of my friends shave, nor do any of the people I work closely with.  I often find that I'm the only bald guy in the group.  I keep thinking that eventually some of my friends will lose enough hair that they'll end up shaving it.  But so far I am way ahead of all of them as far as MPB goes.

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
LOL after I shaved mine. I seriously think they are just trying to be like me.

Enter your email address: