Author Topic: Shaving with moles....  (Read 6133 times)

Offline bobsp

• Learning the way of Sly
Shaving with moles....
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have been shaving without the guard for sometime, and I like the look, as do friends family etc.

I want to shave though, the thing is I have a few moles, and am concerned about cutting into them with a blade. I have a couple hat are not raised, so they do not concern me really, and have one that is slightly raised, that I am sure I would, at least a few times cut, and I have one at the back of my neck, at the base, that I have had for years (I am 37).

I have thought of getting the Panasonic wet dry. What do you guys use that have moles? How do you take that bit of extra care.

Looking forward to going sly..............

Bob

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: Shaving with moles....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:33:23 PM »
First, welcome to sly bald guys!!!

Hi, here are a few previous discussions on moles.  I hope it helps.
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=6180.0
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=428.from1165790389%3Btopicseen
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=printpage;topic=7520.0

I don't have any moles so I can't answer your question myself.   I hope you stick around. O0

Offline bobsp

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »
Cheers, I will get reading.............. ;D

Offline bobsp

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:37 PM »
Ok, I had read those before, but didn't hurt to read again. I am pretty sore they dont need to be looked at, I have a few over my body, some big which I have had for as long as I can remember, but most are smoothe. On a closer look at my dome there is one that is slightly protruding, like a soft small bump. I will give it a shot on Friday in the shower with my Mach 3........ O0

Offline Eweb

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »
I have a mole that's slightly raised... I have had it for as long as I can remember, but I think I am going to see if I can get it removed...

As for shaving with it, I have used a Fusion and have never cut it with that. I have recently switched to a Mach 3 and have yet to cut it with that... About two weeks ago I wanted to try the headblade; I bought one and on the first pass I cut my mole, so I finished my shave with the Mach 3...  I just try to keep in mind that it's there and avoid it as much as possible and go over it very lightly if I have to...

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:33:34 AM »
I just had this image of you shaving with a bunch of moles (animals) ;D

I have a mole on my face, which I regularly shave over and it seems okay.  However, as the skin is less flexible on the head I would go more carefully.  i too use the Fusion and have used MachIII.  Both seem kind to moles.

marty22

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:36:33 AM »
if you're not sure about the mole; get it removed.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
I don't have moles on my head but, every time I cut myself on the dome I do it big time. This doesn't happen often, usually if I make the mistake of changing to a different type of cartridge for the HB. When I do cut out a chunk I need to go with my Braun electric and Williams Lectric Shave for a week or so.
Definitely, like Marty said, think about having the mole removed. At least have it checked by a dermatologist to make sure that it is not more than a mole. I have a thread in the "Protection for Your Bald Head" section entitled "Skin Cancer; My photos" that is just an illustration of what you have to go through if you are one of those guys (like me) that always waits til later.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:40:35 AM »
I just had this image of you shaving with a bunch of moles (animals) ;D

I have a mole on my face, which I regularly shave over and it seems okay.  However, as the skin is less flexible on the head I would go more carefully.  i too use the Fusion and have used MachIII.  Both seem kind to moles.

I am glad we are mindful of mole welfare. I am sure Tyler would not be wanting the animal rights people giving him a hard time. ^-^
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »
if you're not sure about the mole; get it removed.

Great advice Marty.  I had a mole on my back that started acting up in the late 90's and the dermatologist had to submit it for a biopsy to make health insurer happy.  Well the insurance company said not pre-cancerous nor cancerous therefore not eligible.  John, the dermatologist said it could wait a while--I had one child in private school and another in college so it was tight money wise at that time. 
It calmed down until the summer before Katrina, so John did another biopsy and same result with the insurance company, but kids out of school, we set an appointment to remove it in early September, but the City was in shambles, John was in Jackson MS, so I let it slide.
Christmas, 06 it started acting up again, but this time the biopsy came back squamous cell cancer--2.5 cm.  John sent me to a Moh's surgeon who cut it out, but I've got a nice red scar now and the insurance company paid one huge bill--$2,000+
My thought is that had the insurance company been forward thinking they would have taken it off in the 90's when the cost would have been minimal compared to what finally occurred. 
Long story short, get moles off if they are getting irritated or change in any way.

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 04:04:39 PM »
My experience is that the flat, freckle-like moles cause no problems when shaving.  The raised bastards are the troublemakers that occasionally get snagged.  I had a couple of them that were vulnerable removed that caused trouble all out of proportion to their diminutive size.  It was kind of weird -- I could go for weeks and not snag one, then ZING -- a bleeder.  Clearly if they're big enough to cast a shadow, they're going to be tough to shave over, but these were little bitty buggers. 

Getting them removed was no big deal.  Completely painless, at least for me.     
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:36:27 PM by MLNHD »
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
This is gonna sound weird, but I have found that my moles will stay "retracted" if I push down on them, just before I go over them with the blade.  I discovered this, when i was using my opposite hand to guide myself over the area.  I had cut one of the moles a few times and I was trying to be careful.  So, the push down works for me.  Might be strange, but it seems to work.