Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 366550 times)

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #375 on: July 27, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »
I have read many posts here on this matter...it almost seems as if everyone has "The One Way" to get results.  Say, guys, it's just "shaving."  I am rather a Luddite, in that I get things down to the skin with little special prepping.  OK, here's how I get "perfection":  Shower in the A.M., washing bod and head with plain ol' soap.  Out of shower, and then slather cheap ol' shaving cream (Barbasol) on head and face; and then take up my pre-historic razor (Schick single-blade injector--they don't make 'em anymore, and I had to lay in a supply of blades), and away we go.  First pass over face 'n' dome (hand mirror for spots missed behind), and then finger-check for stubbly spots and second pass.  Wipe with washcloth.  A tad of Headlube in winter, and it's done.  I find some of the routines here a bit...well, over-elaborate, but whatever floats your boat.
Hey ming ~Its nice too see another guy that likes too keep it simple when shaving~  O0 ~not a bunch of creams ,lotions and fancy blades too deal with...This site needs a coupla tough guys for there advice and wisdom~~also included is a picture of me shaving this morning !                 

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #376 on: August 03, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »
I get in the shower (water as hot as I can stand it) and wash my face with Billy Jealousy "Bar None." Then I shower as usual ( I won't bore you with those details...)

I then apply Billy Jealousy "Hot Towel" and wait about 1 minute and apply Jack Black "Beard Lube."

I use a Fusion razor for most of my head and face (going with the grain) and then add more "Beard Lube" and do it again (against the grain) with lighter pressure.

I then finish it off (not in the shower, but at the sink) using a straight razor (around ears, beard line, sideburns) using Personna "hair shaper" blades.

I end it all with a cold water splash/rinse and then rub in some Epicuran Colostrom lotion.

I try not to shave more than every other day unless I just HAVE to be baby smooth.
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #377 on: August 03, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
Aarrggh - reminds me of Vin Diesel in the movie Pitch Black.

Welcome BaldBear!   (In case I missed saying it earlier.)  THanks for leaving out the details.  :)

Offline CliffCoultas

• GUITARIST WITH MYSTIQUE
  • Sly Jr.
    • MySpace
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2009, 11:47:25 PM »
I have a friend that shaves his head in the bathtub with his head underwater. He just keeps his nose above the water line and shaves with his head under the water. Htis is the most different way I ever heard of someone shaving their head.
Cliff Coultas

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »
That's generally how I treat headaches!  :)  Without the shaving of course.  I have even been known to take a nap in that position with the head completely submerged except the nostrils.  Best thing ever for migraines.

Offline CliffCoultas

• GUITARIST WITH MYSTIQUE
  • Sly Jr.
    • MySpace
« Reply #380 on: August 22, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »
Well thanks for the advice. I'll have to try that when the headache monster somes to visit me. Get out of my head you bastard! I'll try drowning him.
Cliff Coultas

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #381 on: September 02, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »
I've changed my routine around just a little since I started shaving.  I don't use the headslick anymore since I've converted to the "uber lather" routine.  If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest you do.  Also, after reading some posts from other members I've changed the way I shave by only going against the grain.  I feel that I get a closer shave by doing this and it practically eliminates any irritation associated with shaving. 

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #382 on: September 03, 2009, 09:51:02 AM »
I wash and rinse my scalp with dishwashing liquid a couple of times then once I get the oils and salt off I lather up with a drop of dishwashing liquid then a couple of drops of headslick.  I usually shave with my de but if I miss a day I do the same in the shower using my headblade then when I'm done and my scalp is dried off, I shave again over the sink with my de.  It's amazing how much leftover hair is on my scalp but the de takes it off.  When I'm done shaving, I splash some generic witch hazel on my scalp to tighten it up and bring out the shine.  The fact I'm shaving with one hand makes it more difficult but I wrecked my other hand and I'm not fully recovered so it's a one handed shave for now.

Offline TheGodfather

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Show me the Money
« Reply #383 on: September 04, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »
The Godfathers head shaving routine:

I have oily skin and adult acne so my skin has to be done to perfection.

tools of the trade:
-neutrogena TSAL shampooo
-Gillette Mach 3(razorsdirect 64 blades deal of the century)
- Target brand exfoliating scrub
-badger hair brush
-Bump Patrol Shave gel in tube
-Bump Patrol aftershave
-headblade matte finish lube
----I also use baldguyz wipes during the day(50pack @their website)

I shave in the shower and its the best way by far i believe.

1. I wash my head clean with hot water and use a very small ammount of TSAL shampoo and lather and let it sit in my little hair while i wash the rest of my body. let it sit in for about 3 mins.
2. then I take the Target scrub to my head to remove any dead skin etc.
3. clean head again.
4. a dime sized amount of BP shave gel on a brush and lather up my head for another 2 mins. 
5. Shave away i perfer with the grain but after joining this site i go against it by far better but im still testing the waters and then wash my head clean.
6. then i do the side stroke i do this with NO cream just water, to make sure all is gone. i think it works miracles.
7. get out of the shower, rinse with cold very cold h2o and towel dry my head over the sink. 
8. apply BP to my head which really keeps my head clean and spot free.  by far the best. I love BP brand so much i sent in my headclear and my old shaving creams and gels and they sent me theirs for free along with samples.  BP for those who dont know is a african brand but im Italian and i find this works great on my skin as well.
9. finally i lube with headblade matte lube.

try this and tell me what you think or if you have any suggestions id love to hear.

The Godfather
Pay homage The Godfather is in the Building

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #384 on: October 20, 2009, 03:25:07 PM »
I can't help but notice how many headbladers have to 'clean up' with the fusion.....?

Offline hasting316

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #385 on: November 13, 2009, 09:24:31 AM »
The first thing I do is figure out how long it's been since my last shave. Sometimes I get lazy and have to take the electric clippers to it. So if need be, I do this first.

Then I shower. While in the shower, I take a bar of lava pumice soap to my head. It's cheap and it works. I give it a good hot rinse and clean the rest of my body as usual.

After my shower, I leave my head wet and lather it up with regular old barbasol shave gel.

I use the cheapo disposable Bic razors. I get a bag of 10 for a dollar. I shave my head in sections. Starting with the back. Then the top. Then the sides. First I drag the blade with the grain, apply more lather, then go against the grain. I follow this procedure one section at a time. I use 2 razors to shave my entire head then I grab a new one to clean up anywhere I missed.

When I'm done, I wash with cold water and a bar of regular bath soap. I blot dry (not wipe). Then apply that blue lidocaine gel that you would normally apply to a sunburn. It is inexpensive and it contains lidocaine, aloe vera, and it contains no alcohol. It has a cooling menthol feel to it.

So there you have it. For all you Sly Bald Guys that are on a tight budget.

Here's another idea I got from a friend that works REAL well. Get a hand towel and get it wet. Throw it in the microwave for a couple minutes and get it hot. Wrap it around your scalp for a while before lathering up. Softens up the stubble and feels great.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:55:39 AM by hasting316 »

KentBaldGuy

« Reply #386 on: November 26, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »
I tend to do it in the reverse way to everyone else. I shave first with Mach 3 Turbo & Gillette Gel, flannel the worst of the gel off, and THEN get in the shower and was literally wash from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. Total time: 25 to 30 mins

I find this works best for me and seems to keep my head spot free.

Afterwards I may put a dab of facial moisturiser or after shave lotion on the scalp.

Tony

Offline TylerLutz

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #387 on: November 28, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »
Howdy, new to the board, thought I'd share my routine:

I shave before the shower at the sink with the Headblade Sport with Triple Blades.

I first use HeadShed which I've noticed makes a huge difference in how easy it is to shave.

I then aplly HeadSlick and go with the grain at first then against the grain and touch up the ears with the Headblade, although I've heard many folks say its hard with the Headblade I seem to manage.

I then shower and here is the kicker----I use HeadWash (even though it says you're supposed to use it BEFORE shaving I use it AFTER and it makes my head incredibly smooth.  If I don't use it my head is not as smooth. It's weird but it works.

Then I apply HeadLube Matte and just sit and wait for my girlfriend to rush up and caress my freshly shaven head.   O0

Offline TylerLutz

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2009, 03:13:42 PM »
Oh and I'm also going to try this "cold water" trick everyone has been talking about.  Sounds invigorating!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #389 on: December 09, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »
At six in the morning I get up to shave and (before  bald) I was back in bed ten minutes later  - fully shaved - - now after shaving my face I lather my head after covering it with a very warm wash cloth  and I use Bald Guyz shaving gel  - - which I like - - -I use the Schick Xtreme3 razor   -this takes me about 15 minutes - - - - - - THEN afer reading some of your reports on how you shave  - - -I soak my wash cloth in cold water and wipe my smooth BALD HEAD  and when it drys  - -The shine is unbelieveable - - several  bald guys at breakfast have asked what I use - - -and I found they do the same cold water rinse - -  it works  sometimes later in the day I use Bald Guyz moisture gel  - -again I like it - - - -I really enjoy being BALD  - - - I love being BALD-   as a BALD friend said last week "IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY"