Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 366684 times)

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
Greetings sly bro Make sure you post in the new members/introduction so you get the proper welcome. You imo are a very brave man for using bic disposables, I'll will never go near one ever again. Im a headblader and time to time whip out the mach 3 or fusion. If you are having rzr burn or bump issues you could invest in a good shave oil like pacific shave oil or shave secret. Good look and soak up all the knowledge on the site O0

Offline CatchWrestler101

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #346 on: April 01, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
Hello to all! Newbie here. Well I should clarify that by saying newbie to this forum but not to shaving my head, as I've been shaving my head for more than 10 years now(finally gave in to mother nature). Nevertheless, I've always wanted that razor blade finish and shine and just recently began using the razor as opposed to electric clippers. A blade is definitely the way to go! My old routine use to include using my Andis Outliner II clippers to initially shave my head, and to get it even closer I would conclude my shave with my Braun Electirc Shaver. Well as of the last 4-5 months(after my electric clippers gave out) I finally decided to start using the razor and it has been a true experience! I first started going to a professional barber to cut my hair with a razor, but this can get expensive quickly as a result of wanting a close shave at least every 2-3 days.

Even when I use to visit the barber I still use to sometime get irritation and razor bumps/burn on my scalp as I have very sensitive skin. One particular time the irritation and burn got so bad that I literally couldn't cut my head for nearly 3 weeks, as it took this long for my scalp to heal. Finally after all of the obstacles and mis-haps I think I may have found a method that is working for me(1 month and no problems as of yet). I only shave my head at most every 4-5 days as I'm honestly somewhat fearful to increase the frequency because of scalp irritation and burn. Ultimately I want to "train" my scalp to take a razor everyday for that close and fresh shave that I desire, and I'm just now graduating from shaving every 4-5 days to every 2-3 days. My routine includes the following:

Wake Up
Stretch and be lazy for about 10 mins.
Place a damp towel in the microwave for 1 minute, 45 seconds
Place the hot towel on my head until it starts to cool off(roughly 3-4 minutes)
Lather up with Gillette Fusion Hydra Gel Ultra Sensitive and let stand for a couple of minutes
Shave with the grain using BIC Sensitive Disposable Razors (first thing I saw at Wal-Mart for Sensitive Skin)
Start with the sides using short strokes with moderate pressure, going over same area no more than twice
Shave back of scalp using same method as described above, and then conclude with top
(will start implementing the cold water technique at this point from reading previous posts)
Immediately apply B&C Skin Tight Extra Strength (recommended by barber for razor bumps & ingrown hairs)
Last but not least apply Vaseline on scalp which protects from minor scrapes/abrasions and helps protect.

So far this has been working tremendously for me as I was sincerely beginning to think after much trial and error that I was just in that percentage of the population that could not take a razor on the scalp. I still use electirc clippers/trimmers on my face for my goatee, and I'm okay and comfortable with this. Hopefully soon I'll be able tostart shaving my head daily as I hate this damn stubble and velcro that seems to grow almost instantly after I cut my hair. I found alot of interesting and useful information on this site, and I thank yall for sharing your methods. I'm glad to have found this forum, Thanks!

- Try using Gillette Sensor 3 razors. Bic are not suitable for head shaving!
- Vaseline will clog your pores up. Use Aloe Vera + Vitamin E Gel (Found a travel size bottle of it at Wal-Wart for a buck. Using it on head and face only, a bottle will probably last close to 3 months.)
- Also, after you shave splash some alcohol on your dome. I use wintergreen alcohol, smells good and feels great!

Offline CatchWrestler101

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #347 on: April 01, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
Shower:
- Exfoliate
- Shampoo and Condition

Sink:
- Apply Baby Oil (w/ Aloe Vera and Vitamin E)
- Apply Shave Gel
- Shave with the grain using Sensor 3 Disposable
- Splash wintergreen alcohol
- Use Bump Patrol
- Apply Bump Fighter Aftershave lotion
- Apply Aloe Vera + Vitamin E Gel
- Finish off with Headblade Matte Lotion

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #348 on: April 01, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
I'm bored so why not...

Get in the shower, wash up so the steam settles and my pores are open.
Scrub my head and face with dial soap.
Lather on some HeadSlick.
Using my best buddy, the Gillette Fusion, shave from front to back, I take rather short strokes for the front and follow up with a long one all the way to the back.
Reapply the lather on the back of the head, shave upward against the grain for super smoothness.
Get out, rub my head to check for missed spots.
If I missed a couple, I open my trusty medicine cabinet mirrors and look to shave over any patches.
Once I'm completely sly, throw on some Bald Guyz moisturizing gel.
Walk out of the bathroom screaming in victory.
Eat some food.
Find something to do.

Offline wovercast

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Life is Good
« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »
Been sly for over a month now, and here is the routine I have settled in on. I am lucky since my skin seems to not care what I do to it.

Shower and use my normal body wash on my head.
Turn up the heat right before I get out.
Get out leaving my head wet and apply Gillette Shave Gel
Shave against the grain. Center, sides, back.
Feel for missed spots and go back over them.
Rinse, dry, apply Vaseline face and body lotion.

Thats it!

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #350 on: April 23, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »
So, I updated my routine and thought I would share...

Firstly, I never realized how important it is to properly prep and apply the lather itself, now that I am doing so Im getting amazing shaves. So here I go,\

In the shower, scrub my head with my usual soap, then conditioner and let it sit while I clean everything else.
Get out, leaving my head wet.
I now use a small bowl I found in my kitchen, it has become an honorary member of my routine.
I run it under hot water for about a minute to heat the bowl.
Using a shave brush, I soak it in hot water as well for a couple of seconds, and shake any excess water.
I apply a small drop of HeadSlick into the bowl and rub it in for a good 30-40 seconds with the brush. If there isn't enough water, I'll apply small handfuls until I get my preferred amount.
Now that the HeadSlick is nice and warm, I apply it to my head, and man does it feel great.
Shave with and against the grain.
Check for any missed spots, go over them lightly with the razor.
Rinse with freezing cold water for around 30 seconds to a minute.
Dab it dry, wait for the noggin to air out until completely dry.
Apply BaldGuyz moisture gel, or HeadLube Matte depending on what I feel  like using as aftershave.
And that's it!

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »
I figure since I have been shaving for about 2 months now I would post my routine.

First I jump in the shower and slowly raise the hot water until I cant stand it anymore, I am normally in there for maybe 5-10 minutes, the bathroom gets all steamy and hot. While in the shower I first wash my head/face with old spice body wash then I put conditioner on my head and let it set for a second and scrub that off then I get out of the shower with my head still wet and I put on a blob of headslick and tub it all around and let it set for a second to loosen everything up and all that. Then use my gillete fusion and start at the back and go against the grain then do the sides and finally the top. I then go over and see if I missed any spots and take care of those. Once I am done shaving I rince with super cold water and rub an ice cube or two on my head after and let it air dry. And that is how I shave and get my amazing shine, lol.

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #352 on: April 24, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »
So that's the secret to your shine! Lophura, I highly recommend you apply the HeadSlick with a brush, it makes a huge difference. Really convenient too.

Offline Jtro

• Sly Jr.
  • 3/26/09 first ever razor shave
« Reply #353 on: April 30, 2009, 06:32:23 AM »
Headslick seems to me that hair does not seem to grow back as quickly this is what i've noticed.  I love Gillette Fusion Gel as well but hair seems to grow much quicker when shaving with that. Its not just with my head, i've done R and D on my face with the two and noticed that headslick always grows less everywhere i shave. I've never had razor bumps with any of the two products, the both do an exceptional job while shaving. I always take a shower before shaving, leaving the head still wet when out of the shower. I always use extremely hot water to rinse my headblade/Fusion Phenom after every stroke of the blade. My shave routine is shaving against the grain in the front towards the back, then back to front. For the sides i use a diagonal pattern criss crossing. One thing i have yet to master is behind the ears, arrr its such a pain.  I've realized that when i used to shave my head then take a shower my scalp was extremely dry and flaky. After a few months of trial and error and reading forum posts on here and watching videos on youtube, its a must to take a shower first and do not wash the cream that you used off your head after shaving, i just use my wash cloth and remove the excess cream and my head is nice and sly with no dryness or flaking. By doing this i also found out that i do not have to buy nivea skin lotion for men as well as the headblade headwipes, but i always keep headwipes on hand and keep one in my wallet just in case you see that group of hotties and your head isn't in prime condition. I just want to thank everyone here, going sly has helped me emotionally and my confidence level is at a point which i've never had before.  THANK YOU!!!
show me your war face!

Offline anaboliQ

• The Problem
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #354 on: May 01, 2009, 05:31:17 AM »
New to the board...sly for 8 years. (fully shed by 21)

My routine:
Wake up 6AM...turn on sirius radio
Get in shower turn on fogless mirror/mp3/radio n tune into Stern frequency.(best 20 bucks ever spent on Ebay...not so much for the domepiece but for the tunes and ability to save time doing the face quickly)
Run warm water (had seborrheic dermatitis before and this was reccomended by the doc...dont want it again so I stick with the same regiment)
Exfoliate face and dome with generic face wash (just ordered some Aveeno apricot after lurking and seeing the raves)
Shampoo head with Head & Shoulders intensive treatment (again...the dermatitis...f**k that.) Leave in 5 mins.
Lather up face w/Nivea for Men...wash body while the shampoo n shave cream set.
Shave face with mach 3 (with the grain only :( neck gets bumps if against)
Apply Nivea for Men to domepiece (allow set a couple mins)
Headblade sport against the grain for one pass...feel for smoothness...zip any stragglers.
Cold water rinse.
Exit shower. Pat head and face dry with Adidas sport towel. Dry rest of body with regular towel.
Apply witch hazel...brush teeth while hazel rests. Wipe clean with sport towel.
Apply Lubriderm everyday moisturizer with SPF to dome and face.

...all in all about 20mins...quick zip of deodorant...spray of Acqua di Gio...dress like a pimp n I'm out the door.

Call me whatever u want now cuz in 3 years you have to call me Doctor.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #355 on: May 01, 2009, 09:06:01 AM »
JT --- yeah, that area above the ear is a real pain in the a..  ;D

anaboliq --- great routine!

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »
For many years the routine down but since coming here I've made some changes.

1. Fill the sink with very hot water and leave the hot water running. Constantly spashing the hot water on my head for a couple minutes. . Take about 5 or 6 pumps of Head Balds Head Slick into my palm.
3. Squirt 3 or 4 drops of One Planet Shaving Oil into my Head Slick and use a brush to lather.By using the brush I've cut my consumption of Head Slick to probably a third of what it used to be! Thanks to the slys here!!
4. Brush this mixture onto my face and then my head.
5. Take my Gillette Fusion Power and shave my face allowing more time for the Head Slick to
soak into my head.
6. I start with the top, front to back  then sides bottom to top, and then the back of the head.
7. I then wet  my left hand and go on a search for places that may have gotten missed!
8. Clean up, hop in the shower and wash away the goop! Then get out and towel off.
9. I then grab some Head Lube Glossy Moister Lotion and I'm set to go.
It's all about attitude!

Offline capthappy8p

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #357 on: May 17, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »
would i have to use headslick to go against the grain? cause i havent used it and when i go against the grain it doesnt work out as well and start to get razor bumps on the back of my neck
Smile, cause im Happy

Offline DogStar Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
    • DogStar Training Systems
DAY 8 Your Shave Routine
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
At my eighth day, I seem to have gotten my first routine down.

1. Shower, lots of head soaking with hot water.
2. Use an oil product on scalp, 6-7 drops, massage in.
(Still trying assorted oil products have not focused in on one yet)
3. Prep shave cream, using HB Slick and some additional oil product.
(I mix it all up into a lather in a small bowl with a shaving brush.)
4. Apply to head with brush.
5. Shave mostly with HB and use a hand held for some additional touch ups.
6. Complete my shower and use a final rinse on my head ONLY, of cold water.
(Until I say WOO!)
7. Dry off "towel" dry.
8. Apply some Witch Hazel to my dome and allow it to dry on it's own.
(meantime I start to dress etc.)
9. After the WH is fully dried I apply BG Moisturizer Gel, just bought 2 tubes at BB&B for a deep discount yesterday, I REALLY like this product. Will go back today to buy what remains, 2-3 more tubes.
10. Sometime later, but before I leave the house I finally apply a sunscreen.

In the evening or at the end of the day I am using some self tanning products, trying to give my dome just a hint of color. So far this is not working well and today I started using a different product. Will keep all the Sly Ones appraised.

Eric

Offline Meatman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
Hey Guys...a new member here and this is my first post.  have been shaving my head for about 3 months or so now and have developed the following routine

shower and wash my head with HB HeadWash...
after I'm out of the shower I don't dry my head and put on first a bit of silicon oil by King of Shaves and then put the HeadSlick on over that.
I use a Gillette Pivot Plus 2 blade razor and start on the sides near the ears and work my way around the back and do the top last. I shave in med length strokes going against the grain
after I am done I wet my hands and rub my head using the remaining Head Slick thats left to feel for missed stubble and remove that
I then rinse my head with cold water first and then wash with HeadWash again.
I normally just pat dry and depending if I am off to work or if I'm heading outside I might put some HeadLube on or some Sunscreen..or leave it be.  I tend to have an oily head so there are days when I do leave it be.  I think I'm going to get some of the HeadMatte for this

I welcome any help or comments from you guys that might help...I tend to have to shave everyother day at a minimum to stay slick or close to slick. is this normal?  I am a bit on the heavy beard/hairy side of the spectrum.

thanks