Author Topic: Considering the military...  (Read 16642 times)

Offline Sandmano4

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Considering the military...
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »
Hey buddie, cool hair dew. Im quite jealous and lacking hair up top - umm Im thinking about joining the army myself. I didn't know you could do a practice ASVAB - you think its a good idea? how to you arrange it ? where would i take it ? Umm Navy sounds cool if you like the water/ocean - personally I get seasick though very easily. Best of luck  - I think you should go for it!!

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
when I took the practice ASVAB--it was in the office of an Army recruiter.  The test takes like a half hour and is comprised of a reading comprehension, two math sections, and like two word knowledge sections.

I literally walked in off the street, asked to see a recruiter and they gave me a laptop to take the test on.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

BaldRob

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 07:51:47 AM »
BaldRob--I was actually considering fire control!

What kind of openings has it left you with since you got out of the Navy?

Sorry Camp... I haven't looked at this post for a while...

FC is a great rate in the Navy because of the diversity of equipment that you work on.  As far as jobs outside the Navy that relate...  Obviously a lot depends on the economy at the time, but I was a field service engineer for a high-speed packaging inspection company when I first got out.  Other FCs that I know have gotten all kinds of different jobs:  Switch supervisor for a cellular company, maintenance manager at Harley Davidson, bench techs, field service, technical trainers, etc.

Biggest thing I can tell you is to make the most of your time in, no matter which service you choose!  The military has some of the best educational programs and benefits around.  Stay out of trouble and make rate (promoted)!  The higher your rank is when you get out, the more job opportunities are available when you get out...

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »
Camp,

I won't go into the reasons why but I did not serve in the military. Today, at the age of 45, it is the single biggest regret of my life. Alot of my customers are retired military and I have to tell you I still can't shake the sense of guilt I get when I am around those guys that did their duty. Without the military doing what they do it would not be possible for the rest of us to do what we do every day.  I don't know how old you are but when you are my age looking in the rear view mirror of life you don't want the words "I wish I had done that..." to pass through your mind.  I'll leave it to the experts on here to guide you more on which branch to go into but really think long and hard into the future about what your thoughts of yourself will be by not serving.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Enter your email address: