Author Topic: Considering the military...  (Read 16645 times)

Offline KollegeKreed

• Sly Jr.
Re: Considering the military...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »
I don't know why you guys are jumping down throats about Iraq and Afghanistan...anyone who joined the service now would end up there...why is that uncalled for? Its a fact.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »
noone jumped throats for iraq or afghanistan.  that is just a fact and everyone knows it. the negative comment about "WAR MACHINE" was the problem. just to clear the air.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 09:20:03 PM »
I don't know why you guys are jumping down throats about Iraq and Afghanistan...anyone who joined the service now would end up there...why is that uncalled for? Its a fact.

You're missing the point.  The offensive part of the comment was the part about "do you want to be a part of the war machine?"  None of us would enjoy the freedoms we currently take for granted were it not for people who were willing to be part of the "war machine" and put their lives on the line for what they believe in?   Some may choose to protest, criticize and undermine these efforts, but they are living in denial while, as always, it's up to the grown-ups to face reality and tackle the problems head-on.

Offline KollegeKreed

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:10 PM »
Sorry I scanned the post and didnt see War Machine...my apologies.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 05:36:13 AM »
The original post asked for advice.... not political statements.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 06:28:52 AM »
Sorry I scanned the post and didnt see War Machine...my apologies.

that post was removed from the thread.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »
No worries about that post guys.  I think its fine if someone wants to let their opinion be heard (so long as they are ok with hearing everyone elses)

Anyway--I appreciate all the input from everyone so far!  Currently, I am in a firefighter academy, and after that I have a job this summer in wildland firefighting--so I'll have a  lot of time to debate whether or not I really wanna join the military.

Someone mentioned getting their bachelors degree while they were in the Navy? Is that right?  I think that'd be a great option for me if it is possible.  I have something like 70+ credit hours right now, and I'd really like them to get put towards a bachelors degree (otherwise why go right)?

Does anyone have any word about the places you could potentially be stationed in either the Navy or Airforce?  I'm leaning towards Navy because I have always wanted to be on/near the ocean (I'm one of those people that is DRAWN to it ya know?)

Also, how far will a high ASVAB score really get me?  As I understand, it really is only a preliminary thing to get you set into a job that you are capable of doing? Amirite?

Thanks guys
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline FrankyG

• Sly Jr.
  • Nothing beats jumping out of a plane at 800 ft :-)
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
Not sure about assignments for Navy or Airforce really.

As for ASVAB, for the Army I can say that it gets you job choices, but once you get in there are schools you would like to go to i.e. Ranger school, Special Forces, Getting commissioned while in, Changing your job if you decide to...Just do the best you can and no worries.

My recommendation is start talking to recruiters and ask these questions they are better handled at it. Just don't feel pressured to do anything right away.
Airborne, means never missing a chance to remind people you are better than them :)

BaldRob

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »
No worries about that post guys.  I think its fine if someone wants to let their opinion be heard (so long as they are ok with hearing everyone elses)

Anyway--I appreciate all the input from everyone so far!  Currently, I am in a firefighter academy, and after that I have a job this summer in wildland firefighting--so I'll have a  lot of time to debate whether or not I really wanna join the military.

Someone mentioned getting their bachelors degree while they were in the Navy? Is that right?  I think that'd be a great option for me if it is possible.  I have something like 70+ credit hours right now, and I'd really like them to get put towards a bachelors degree (otherwise why go right)?

Does anyone have any word about the places you could potentially be stationed in either the Navy or Airforce?  I'm leaning towards Navy because I have always wanted to be on/near the ocean (I'm one of those people that is DRAWN to it ya know?)

Also, how far will a high ASVAB score really get me?  As I understand, it really is only a preliminary thing to get you set into a job that you are capable of doing? Amirite?

Thanks guys

Depending on your job (Navy), you could be on either coast... East Coast main bases are Norfolk, VA; Mayport, FL; Kings Bay, GA.  West Coast are San Diego, CA and Bremerton, WA.  Lots of opportunity for being stationed overseas also... I have two sisters that are both in Yokuska, Japan right now!

The Air Force... in all honesty, you could be stationed anywhere...  Some bases are near the coast, but some are in the middle of nowhere also.  However, you always will have great golf courses... HAHAHAHAHAHA

As far as finishing a degree... absolutely!  You can take classes aboard your ship while you are  underway and if you stay in for shore duty, then you can take classes through Navy Campus or at a local college.  Best thing is they pay tuition assistance... it was 75% when I was in.

On the ASVAB, you are correct... it is your starting point.  The ASVAB is a barometer of how much learning capacity that you have.  Once you get your school, getting through it is up to you.  If you do score a 92 on the ASVAB, your job choices are wide open....  I scored a 98 and chose the advanced electronics field, weapon systems.  I'm not sure now, but you needed to score a 78 (or there abouts) to get into the most advanced schools the Navy offers, which is Nuclear Power, Electronics Tech.

Keep asking questions... We're not recruiters, so we will give it to you straight!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »
One of my biggest regrets was not joining the armed forces.

Ditto for me Schroman. I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves our great country.     O0

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
And don't sign anything that a recruiter promises you unless it is in writing and you get a copy.

Pshrynk

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »
Although this is not the place for a political debate -- I think socio-political reasoning should be a part of the OP's considerations and thought processes.  Does he personally believe and have deep faith in the rationale behind the US military presence in other countries right now? -- is he willing to kill or die for those reasons?    Does his personal belief system fit?

Offline FrankyG

• Sly Jr.
  • Nothing beats jumping out of a plane at 800 ft :-)
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
Although this is not the place for a political debate -- I think socio-political reasoning should be a part of the OP's considerations and thought processes.  Does he personally believe and have deep faith in the rationale behind the US military presence in other countries right now? -- is he willing to kill or die for those reasons?    Does his personal belief system fit?

Those are legitimate thoughts, and are not really political. A person needs to be able to ask themselves these questions and answer them honestly.
Airborne, means never missing a chance to remind people you are better than them :)

marty22

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »
I agree 100% with Mr. Gallagher above.

Offline Jim80

• Sly
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »
I've never served either and I do also regret not enlisting, My Uncle is over there fighting for our country right now, he is on his 3rd tour now, While I do believe in that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, My personal thoughts are that if you are against the war thats your own business but dont belittle someone that is willing to protect your rights that so many of us take for granted (IE freedom of speech)
I'm off my soapbox now