Author Topic: what age does hairloss not became an issue  (Read 16126 times)

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
what age does hairloss not became an issue
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »
I am just curious because we often hear guys who are in their 20s complaining that they are losing hair too early and how it sux.    We hear the argument that if they lost hair in their 40s for example it wouldn't matter because by that age it's normal.   
But now I remember back a few years ago, one of my psychology professors had lost most of his year and he was 42.   He didn't have much at the top and once a while he would joke about his bald head.  You know it was the kind of joke you could tell he didn't feel good about it, that he was sad about it.
Also, we got a member here last week asking for advice because his 40 yrs old cousin wouldn't leave him alone about his bald head.   That 40 year old was taking propecia I believe.
I didn't know that some men feel insecure about hairloss or a bald head in their 40s.   :/O
I am not 40 so I don't know how I will feel at that time, but it kind of is scary.   And in another sense, it's an eye opener to those guys who have hair thinning or are losing hair in their 20s that the grass is always greener on the other side.  You might think if you lost hair at 40 you wouldn't care but it is not true.
As Razorx put it, if you lose hair early in life you have the advantage of getting over your hair loss by 40.   
I guess it's one of those things that makes you wonder   :/O      But is there a certain age after which most men wouldn't care about hair loss?

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: what age does hairloss not became an issue
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »
im 20 now and im badly receding. if my hair is as bad as it is now at 25 i wouldnt care. if i had a horshoe at 30 i wouldnt care THAT MUCH. by 35 i wouldnt care at all.

right now its extremly tough though cuz most people arent as accepting of a 20 yr old whos balding. its good joking material. by 25-30 i feel that its not a big deal in others eyes.

marty22

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
there is no age for accepting it actually.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:00:57 PM »
Ok marty I believe you, but it's sad.   So a man could start losing hair at 48 for example and he will be sad about it.
I just remember that psychology professor,  it looked as though hair loss had destroyed his confidence & happiness.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:08:41 PM »
Ok marty I believe you, but it's sad.   So a man could start losing hair at 48 for example and he will be sad about it.
I just remember that psychology professor,  it looked as though hair loss had destroyed his confidence & happiness.

well ya. i mean no ones gonna be happy for losing their hair lol. of course everyones gonna be sad cuz its a big change whether your 20 or 60. hair falling out sucks. some people just accept it better than others.

or at least pretend to.........

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
I believe that the older you get, the easier it should be to accept, since you are less likely to be in the minority.  It seems like there are plenty of guys in their 40's with some type of hair-loss.  It does help a little.

Shaving it all off is like the great equalizer, it's like my revenge against mother nature.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline pharmer

• Sly Jr.
  • lurking...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
I believe it depends on many factors.  I had a physician call in Propecia last week for a guy in his 50's.  The physician mentioned to me "he is really upset about it."  This guy was recently divorced.  I believe factors such as marital status, overall confidence, etc play into the equation at any age.  Just last week I had a really open conversation with a 30 year old friend who has lost quite a bit of hair.  He admits that it bothered him much more when he was single.  

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
I believe it depends on many factors.  I had a physician call in Propecia last week for a guy in his 50's.  The physician mentioned to me "he is really upset about it."  This guy was recently divorced.  I believe factors such as marital status, overall confidence, etc play into the equation at any age.  Just last week I had a really open conversation with a 30 year old friend who has lost quite a bit of hair.  He admits that it bothered him much more when he was single.  

I think you hit that one on the head.  Most people I've talked to are worried about losing out on opportunities with women that may have given them a chance with a full head of hair.  But that shallow person may have not been worth your time anyways.  Tough situation

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »
agreed. if you have a significant other theres no point in worrying about it cuz theres no one left to try to impress. especially if your married or planning on getting married.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »
agreed. if you have a significant other theres no point in worrying about it cuz theres no one left to try to impress. especially if your married or planning on getting married.

No but this is exactly the reason why I started this topic.   There are many men who lose hair in their 40s and have a beautiful wife, have children, etc. but are worrying about losing more hair.   Ghost, it's a fantasy that if you have a sexy girl on your side that worrying about hair loss will be gone.  It doesn't go away like that at least for many men who lose hair.   The significant other really doesn't help much.  It might in the short-run, maybe for a few months but that's it man.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
ya true i guess. all i know is hairloss sucks. i wish more girls could experience hairloss so they could relate to us guys lol.

maybe if men and woman both suffered from hairloss than it wouldnt be a big deal at all.

i think mother nature needs to change her ways and at least make EVERY SINGLE male experience hairloss instead of just 50% haha.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:18 PM »
lol Ghost,  who knows maybe 25 years from now most men will be bald by 30.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »
maybe 25 years from now babies will remain bald after birth haha. then the whole world can be sly.

i like that idea  O0

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
everyone is different, we have all had different life experiences that have shaped us into who we are today... people will cope with losing hair differently...
but personally I believe that women are attracted to confident and intrinsically happy men.
which means find away to get over you hair loss, be yourself and be proud and happy to be yourself.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
The problem with losing your hair when  you're older is you're likely already dealing with age-related issues, especially starting to look older.  The hair loss is just one more unwelcome thing to contend with.