Author Topic: Personal Trainers  (Read 1525 times)

Offline rward086

• Sly
    • Myspace
Personal Trainers
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
Before pays a personal trainer for their services, there are two things you should ALWAYS confirm.

1. Do they have a Bachelor's degree in Kinesilogy or Exercise and Sports Science.

2. They have a certification from either the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) or National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). Both these certificaitons are NCCA accredited.

There are at least 20+ "Personal Trainer Certifications", and some of them can be acheived over a weekend course and require no background education. Both certifications above require a bachelor's degree in a Health Science. The personal training industry is full of unqualified wackos, so be careful who you pay to train you. If your personal trainer does not meet the two conditions above, drop them!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:12:26 AM by rward086 »

"God only blessed a handful of people with perfect heads - The rest he covered with hair."

W3!ght

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Personal Trainers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14:44 AM »
I, for one, am really glad you're here. We have guys from a whole range of backgrounds but I 'm pretty sure you're our only person schooled in this specialty.
A lot of guys here work out and it's great to have someone to turn to with questions.

Thanks for your expertise and your willingness to share it.. O0
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

SlyHigh

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:20:54 AM »
Just because a trainer doesn't have those certifications or a degree doesn't mean they aren't any good.  Having all that does mean it's more likely they have the necessary knowledge, though.

I would ask the trainer about what kind of certifications he has, his experience, etc.  Some larger gyms have more requirements for their trainers than the small local place that may hire anyone off the street.

Word of mouth is very good, too.  See if you can find other people he has trained and ask them about the trainer.

I'll admit that my wife is a personal trainer.  She doesn't have a degree, and her certification is through ISSA.  For the types of clients she prefers, her knowledge is adequate.  She works for a large gym with lots of other resources for her to go to for advice.  Her clients seem to like her because they keep coming back.

Yes, there are some wackos in the business.

marty22

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:41:57 AM »
I agree with my pal Sly High to some degree. My guy opened up his own professionaltraining place locally and I never asked about his qualifications. My former trainer was a top bodybuilder and I never could figure out hisworkouts. For my purposes, you know if your trainer is helping you reach your goal after say 10 sessions or so.

A couple of trainers couldnt train people if their lives depended on it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:54:03 AM by marty22 »