Author Topic: can someone tell me some good "at home" workouts?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
can someone tell me some good "at home" workouts?
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
im starting to lift and workout but i cant go to the gym everyday so i was wondering some good workouts i can do at home for the off days. possibly with dumbells.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: can someone tell me some good "at home" workouts?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »
Add me to the list!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
There are tons of things you can do at home.Pushups,dips,pullups,dumbell squats.
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:21:01 AM »
Pick up a copy of The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko.  Even though you may not be interested in the diet portion, there is an extensive section that shows how pretty much any exercise routine can be modified so it can be done at home with dumbbells.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »
sit in recliner...get up and change channel manually on tv.  Move the cordless phones to the other side of the room.  never holler at your kids to get you a drink while you are watching tv...get up and get it yourself.  LOL 

Sorry I really have no routine...I need one though.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »
sit in recliner...get up and change channel manually on tv.  Move the cordless phones to the other side of the room.  never holler at your kids to get you a drink while you are watching tv...get up and get it yourself.  LOL 

Sorry I really have no routine...I need one though.

Tim, is there a way to work yourself up to your routine?  I don't want to overdo it at first.  I do need to be able to make it into work.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »
Pick up a copy of The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko.  Even though you may not be interested in the diet portion, there is an extensive section that shows how pretty much any exercise routine can be modified so it can be done at home with dumbbells.
I agree, Razor. Zinczenko also has a couple of quick-reference books out, including "Eat This, Not That." Lots of good information about making smart choices.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Stu....you looklike  fairly stout man, you can handle it....now get yoru bootie up and get busy! LOL

Offline Impaired

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »
I personally  suggest a subscription to ``Mens Health`` magazine.This is a top notch magazine and it gives advice on anything from workouts,food,women,dating,sex, you name it.I dont work for the magazine or have any attachment to it other than I subscribe but it is a great magazine.

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
Men's Health Homegrown Muscle is a year long program you can do at the gym or at home with bar bells or dumb bells. It also has a beginner workout and an advanced workout. I have been through the entire series and began again. Excellent workout you can do at home.

Men's Health Poster Series: Homegrown Muscle
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=9bd999edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd____

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »
On a similar vain, http://www.shapefit.com/trainingmap.html

On the right menu, they've also got videos and gifs of various workouts

Offline ORdome

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »
I actually do the "body for life" way of nutrition because I've noticed it has helped a lot in lowering my body fat (had a little set back between thanksgiving and new years with all the pigging out but getting back to it) and I just started doing the p90x workouts at home. I think it might cost a little more than some want to spend, but you can do all the workouts with just a pullup bar and dumbbells or resistance bands....and they are pretty intense workouts.

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
Im currently doing Power 90 (which is the workout that came out before P90X) 
You work out 6 days a week for about 25-40 minutes.  Its a great overall fitness program and its short and intense.
It cost about 59.00...I like it and a couple other sly guys do it too.
After I get done I intend to start doing crossfit again.  google both of these...power 90 all you need is some dummbells and a chair. 
Shave your head.....free your mind.