Author Topic: Cholesterol testing  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Cholesterol testing
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
On Saturday morning I went to have some blood drawn to have my cholesterol tested.   I didn't expect to get the results until sometime around the end of the week, but when I got home this evening there was a voice mail from the doctor's office saying that the results were in and everything was normal.    :)

So now I'm wondering, how often am I supposed to do this?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Cholesterol testing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »
Celebrate with a cheeseburger!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:56 PM »
Before I had my coronary artery issue last year and the stent, I would get it checked once a year at my checkup. Now it is at least twice a year and sometimes more often.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

marty22

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
once every two years Razor. I got sick 8 years ago and only am required once yearly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:18:52 PM by marty22 »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
On Saturday morning I went to have some blood drawn to have my cholesterol tested.   I didn't expect to get the results until sometime around the end of the week, but when I got home this evening there was a voice mail from the doctor's office saying that the results were in and everything was normal.    :)

So now I'm wondering, how often am I supposed to do this?

If you get your blood regularly tested anyway [like in my case, I'm paranoid about my vitamins and minerals] you can opt to have your cholesterol tested too.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »
Celebrate with a cheeseburger!

I actually already did that Saturday night.   ;D

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »
Seriously, mine is checked yearly.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 02:27:20 AM »
Not sure. Dont think I am old enough yet. They have Well Man clinics here for those over 40. Think they do it then. Oh well - 2 years to go. Had mine checked recently and it was fine. Celebrated with 6 bars of chocolate  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 03:17:55 AM »
Stephan Cholesterol is not only a 40 plus testing ;)
(checking it 2 or 3 times a year)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:22:17 AM by Ben32 »

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 04:22:35 AM »
When my cholesterol was high, I had to have it checked every few months. When I finally got it in the acceptable range my Doctor told me once a year was sufficient and I have it checked just before I go for my yearly physical. I think the frequency depends on your level to begin with... O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:15:25 AM »
If you don't have any other issues, hypertension, elevated blood sugar, they probably won't check it except at your annual physical.  The other limit issue is what your health insurance will pay.
Congradulations, good genes, good diet and exercise seem to work for you.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 07:08:12 PM »
If you don't have any other issues, hypertension, elevated blood sugar, they probably won't check it except at your annual physical. 

My last annual physical was circa 1986.   :-[

The other limit issue is what your health insurance will pay.
Congradulations, good genes, good diet and exercise seem to work for you.

Thanks.  I need to watch the cholesterol because it's a problem in the family.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »
I
My last annual physical was circa 1986.   :-[

Don't you think you carrier would pay for another, at your age other things could  be simmering, and it's nice to know they're not.  Just a thought--my father-in-law, who I never knew dropped dead at 42!  They can do things now.  And just to warn you, unless the tests are done as a whole they don't tell a whole lot.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »

Don't you think you carrier would pay for another, at your age other things could  be simmering, and it's nice to know they're not.  Just a thought--my father-in-law, who I never knew dropped dead at 42!  They can do things now.  And just to warn you, unless the tests are done as a whole they don't tell a whole lot.

It was actually a whole series of blood and urine tests -- I don't know what they did exactly.  I was just primarily focused on the cholesterol because my dad's is high.  I didn't even realize that I was required to give a urine sample until I got to the lab and they handed me a cup and told me to fill it.   :D