Author Topic: Help...Need advice !!  (Read 2563 times)

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
Help...Need advice !!
« on: January 05, 2009, 06:49:20 PM »
Hi guys. I am hoping one of you has experience in this department. A lifelong friend of mine that Ive known since kindergarten who lives in NJ was fired/laid off last year from her mid-level manager job where she was earning like 80k a year.  Shes been on unemployment for 6 months and just got extended another 4 months. She found a much lower paying job but the job was close to home and *seemed* interesting so she agreed to take it. BIG mistake.
She started today and hates it...they threw a bunch of stuff at her to do and no one in the small office was particularly helpful. If anything they were quite the opposite. She is the only american person in the company and they seem to not be too interested in helping her.  Everything in the company is a disorganized mess...She knows after one day of work its not for her.  I know this woman a long time and shes a top notch worker whos a great business person...very sharp but I think she took the job out of desperation with the economy and all.
She would like to just walk away from it and go back on unemployment and search for something better......unfortunately you cant get anyone in NJ  unemployment on the phone to even discuss.
Has anyone any knowledge on this subject ?

Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Help...Need advice !!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
As far as I can recall, you can't collect unemployment if you resign.  My advice to your friend is to keep looking for a better job, and in the meantime just grit her teeth and bear with the one she's got.   At least it's a paycheck.

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:09:25 AM »
DJ, in most states, if you voluntarily quit as they call it or resign, you cannot file for unemployment.  You can file, but you will be denied.  This is not gonna sound good but really the only way she can get out from under the job is to perform poorly and they would likely let her go on their own or as Razor said stay put until she finds a better job. There are jobs out there she just might have to be creative to find the right one for her.  Problem is most companies have a probationary period of 30-90 days in which they're evaluating a new hire's performance.  I have a degree in HRM and we were always told in our mgmt classes that the worst thing you can do is resign as it puts you in an unfavorable light to other employers and of course you will not receive unemployment benefits.  Hope this helps and good luck to her.

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
thanks guys. I guess I find it hard to believe if after ONE day of employment  it could totally blow your unemployment. But my friend had a sit-down with the owner and shes going to tough it out...
Finally got NJ unemployment on the phone and they said if you quit after one day its up to a "adjustor"
..I'm sure she would prefer not to leave it in a overworked state employees hands. Thanks again.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
thanks guys. I guess I find it hard to believe if after ONE day of employment  it could totally blow your unemployment. But my friend had a sit-down with the owner and shes going to tough it out...
Finally got NJ unemployment on the phone and they said if you quit after one day its up to a "adjustor"
..I'm sure she would prefer not to leave it in a overworked state employees hands. Thanks again.

The thing is, when you file for unemployment it gets charged back to the account of the company that used to employ you.  They can challenge it, and they probably would in the case of an employee that quit after one day.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
In this economy, any job is a good job!  Your friend should keep it and continue to look
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt