Author Topic: inexpensive, but reliable clippers?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline foodfor4

• Sly Jr.
inexpensive, but reliable clippers?
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:45:44 PM »
Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone can recomend a inexpensive, yet reliable pair of clippers in case my dad is too modest to have his head shaved at a barbershop. I do not know if he plans to go sly or just clippershave ( I will definitley go sly ;D). Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: inexpensive, but reliable clippers?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
You can probably get a set for about 25-30 bucks.  I am sure they will do well for you.  I have a pair that we bought, do not remember the brand, but walmart sells them and we only paid about 25 bucks for them.  I hardly ever use it though only to trim my beard and stache down with.  My wife uses them....on Logan's hair LOL

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »
Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone can recomend a inexpensive, yet reliable pair of clippers in case my dad is too modest to have his head shaved at a barbershop. I do not know if he plans to go sly or just clippershave ( I will definitley go sly ;D). Thanks for any suggestions.

The clipper shave is probably the best way to go; I don't think people who are going through chemotherapy are supposed to use razor blades. Just buzz the hair as close to the skin as possible so it won't be noticeable when it starts to fall out.

The first set of clippers I ever got was a $10 Conair set from Walmart.  I'd gotten my hair buzzed at the barbershop the day before.  I'd planned to go to a #1, and I'd never gone that short before.  I chickened out at the last minute and got a #1 1/2.  I regretted it when I got home and decided to get some clippers and take it down a bit shorter by myself.  The #1 setting didn't cut as short as the #1 the barber uses.  I couldn't get the hair any shorter so I ended up taking the guard off.  Totally f---ed up my hair, taking it way shorter than I planned.  I had so little hair left afterwards, I decided that I might as well just shave the rest off with the razor.  That was my first, unplanned, headshave back in January 2002.   :)

Bottom line:  for something like this a cheap set of clippers from Walmart should be all that you need. You don't need something that's more adjustable with 10,000 different attachments, because it's not as if you're going to be giving a haircut that needs to be blended and styled.

Kudos to you for supporting your dad this way.   O0

Offline rodubls

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »
I have like a $40, corded wahl that I got a few years back. I used to buzz before I went sly and now if I ever go like a week or so without shaving (sin, I know) I will use that to knock it down. Easy to clean, very powerful, came with a few attachments. It is heavy as hell but to me, its a good thing, not like some cheapo all-plastic beard trimmer or something.
Buck:

"I'm on the gravy train with biscuit wheels!"

"I like to hump, I like to eat, and I don't like to drive."