Author Topic: In Need of Some Golf Wisdom  (Read 9566 times)

spaceape48

In Need of Some Golf Wisdom
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:04:05 PM »
So I've always wanted to give golf a try- but I know mostly nothing about the sport. I'm wanting to get a driver to start out, but I don't even know where to begin choosing one. I'm not wanting to spend a load on one as this will be my first attempt. Also, if you know of any websites that give a good tutorial on golf and how to grip the club/swing it, please let me know. Thanks- O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: In Need of Some Golf Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 05:25:05 PM »
Our resident golf veteran is Schro....and as soon as he sees the word "golf" after logging in he'll be all over it.

I would say that for just startin' out, just make sure you find the right length of clubs without skimping TOO much on quality.

My uncle gave me his set of clubs that just happened to be about the right size and have worked fine...never replaced any of them, or added any...including the driver.

Check with a golf pro shop or Sports Authority and talk to a salesperson/instructor that's passionate about the game (as opposed to passionate about selling you something).

Also...without a doubt....the best video/dvd I've EVER watched that helped my game the most is called
"The Little Green Video" by Harvey Pennick.  

I talk about it in this thread:

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=43.msg3055#msg3055

6th post down on page 1...

The whole thread is good...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:26:50 PM by Robmeister »

BaldRob

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 05:34:06 PM »
Here's a little bit of wisdom:

Drive for show, Putt for dough!

Don't worry about getting a big ol' fancy driver... Get yourself a decent set of clubs, typically a 1-3-5 Wood and 3 - PW irons.  Once you practice at the driving range a LOT and play some rounds, then worry about getting a big ol' driver!

Schro can chime in because I think he's the SBG Golf Pro...

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 05:47:19 PM »
So I've always wanted to give golf a try- but I know mostly nothing about the sport. I'm wanting to get a driver to start out, but I don't even know where to begin choosing one. I'm not wanting to spend a load on one as this will be my first attempt. Also, if you know of any websites that give a good tutorial on golf and how to grip the club/swing it, please let me know. Thanks- O0

Golf wisdome......... Ok I got it,, just ignore the big truck driving buy the course and blasting the air horn just as you take your swing ;D becausr that would be me. ;D
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
Just watch the movie "Happy Gilmore".  Best golf tutorial available.  One of my favorite movies, watched it twice this week on AMC. O0

spaceape48

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:13:33 PM »

Don't worry about getting a big ol' fancy driver... Get yourself a decent set of clubs, typically a 1-3-5 Wood and 3 - PW irons.  Once you practice at the driving range a LOT and play some rounds, then worry about getting a big ol' driver!

Newb question: What does the PW stand for when you said PW irons? I was reading up about clubs some- so wood drivers are less precise than irons? They also mentioned composite drivers as being an in-between? I think I'm going to hold off on getting a whole set of clubs till I get my drive down.

Golf wisdome......... Ok I got it,, just ignore the big truck driving buy the course and blasting the air horn just as you take your swing ;D becausr that would be me. ;D

That's cool, just look out for the ball coming at your windshield. I can see it now, I'll be the only guy hitting balls backwards, away from the range.  :D

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 09:06:24 PM »
wanna make golf more fun?   slam a beer for each stroke over par.  makes the back nine more interesting. 8)

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 09:42:49 PM »

Newb question: What does the PW stand for when you said PW irons? I was reading up about clubs some- so wood drivers are less precise than irons? They also mentioned composite drivers as being an in-between? I think I'm going to hold off on getting a whole set of clubs till I get my drive down.

That's cool, just look out for the ball coming at your windshield. I can see it now, I'll be the only guy hitting balls backwards, away from the range.  :D

The PW stands for Pitching Wedge.

I've dabbled in the golf business and I heard questions like this quite a bit. You can get a starter set of clubs with bag included for around $100-$199. I would suggest getting a set with some hybrid clubs. There is nothing wrong with a Sports Authority or other big box, but try to find a Golf USA, Pro Golf, or Golf Galaxy. They will probably have a better selection of starter sets.

BaldRob

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 08:47:50 AM »

m

Johnny answered good... 3 iron through Pitching Wedge.  The "woods" are not as accurate as the irons because they're longer with more flex in the shaft, but will give you the best distance once you're used to using them.

Don't wait to until you have your drive down to get a whole set of clubs...

http://www.nevadabobs.com/golferswh/default.asp?s_id=1
http://www.golfgalaxy.com/galaxy/
http://www.golfusa.com/
http://www.golfsmith.com/

spaceape48

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 05:24:52 PM »
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Might go have a look around at some clubs this week. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »
Many golf shops will offer used clubs.  I would recomend either a decent (good shape) used set or basic generic (knock offs) starter set.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:13:17 PM »
First Off, don't buy OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) gear. This would include name gear like Titleist, Taylor Made, and Ping. They will pin the cost of advertising on buyers b/c they pay endorsement fees to PGA pros to use their gear. Unless having name gear is important to you and your ego, it's really not worth the extra $$$.

For 7 years, I have played Snake Eyes irons made by Golfsmith.com. I had a set of irons custom fit for $220 (incl. shipping) by Jim McLain (www.mclaingolf.com). The custom fitting was performed over the phone with me on speaker phone and taking measurements while writing on the wall with a pencil. Since then, Jim has kept my specs and he builds the best stuff out there. I have tried most equipment out there and have not hit anything better. If you want good equipment at a great price (excuse the corny line), get in touch with Jim and tell him Steve Schroeder sent ya' !!! If you're just starting out, shy away from a driver and any iron longer than a 5 iron. I don't like hybrids (prefer fairway woods), but most teachers and equipment experts universally suggest hybrids. The Snake Eyes line are regarded as some of the best hybrids ever made.

As far as lessons go, that's more of an individual thing. I haven't taken a lesson since 2001, because I have a pretty good idea what works for me and it's just a matter of practice for me. Also, I've played my best golf this last year (handicap down to a 4) by having a few cocktails and relaxing while I play.

Obviously I love talking golf, so feel free to ask me anything.
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:23:16 PM »
Check out some of the videos made by the golfing great (and fellow Georgian) Bobby Jones.  They are compiled from some shorts he made in the 1930's.  The man's techniques were flawless then ... and flawless now.  Also, a great movie was made about him winning the Grand Slam.  It is on video / dvd and stars Jim Caveziel.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 09:16:38 PM »

wanna make golf more fun?   slam a beer for each stroke over par.  makes the back nine more interesting. 8)

Don't think I overlooked this nugget of sound wisdom, Paulie O0

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 05:36:16 AM »
thought maybe it was another failed attempt. been off the game lately.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!