Author Topic: SHOULD BLACK MEN SHAVE HEAD GO AGAINST THE GRAIN  (Read 38426 times)

Offline Park99

• Learning the way of Sly
SHOULD BLACK MEN SHAVE HEAD GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:40:53 AM »
Hi, I am new to this site. I have read a lot of thing here that I found it helpful. I start shave my head about 2 week ago. I am using headblade tripleblade. I have shave my head going with the grain but when i get finish and when i rub my hand on my head going against the grain i really dont like that sandpaper feeling. I just wonder if I can shave against the grain to make my head smooth? My hair do grow fast. There seem to be a problem with black men getting razor bump and stuff if we shave against the grain. I just wonder is there anyway I can do to get a smooth head without cause problem? I really want a smooth bald head like NBA star Ray Allen, MJ, Billup and KG. I was watching the NBA game last night I notice some player head a smooth.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SHOULD BLACK MEN SHAVE HEAD GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:52:50 AM »
Hey Park, welcome to SBG. I hope you enjoy your time here, good info and great guys.

As far as your question goes, I don't know about what direction a black guy should shave to get the best shave since I'm white. But I can say you'll probably get different opinions on what is best. It really comes from trial & error. I notice you use HB trips (I use HB doubles), some go with the grain, others go against, some shave in the shower, others prefer the sink. I find the best shave comes from going against the grain using a combo of Headslick and Bald Guyz Shave Gel.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much. We used to have a few active black SBGs, but I haven't seen them around here recently. You might try sending a PM to Leigh_12Play. He might be able to give you some feedback as a black sly dude.

Good luck to ya!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:34:14 AM »
Hello Park !!  Welcome to the forum, great to have you aboard !!    O0

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:37:01 AM »
Hey Park..welcome aboard. Not sure what to advise you on this. A friend of mine on our county council is a black bald guy but he uses a product I think is called Magic Powder. He seems to be satisfied with it.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Park99

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »
oh ok. I know there is not many black men on here. But I know yall doing the best yall can to give me some advice. I am just going to so open maybe thing would come

BALDANDRE

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:02:18 AM »
oh ok. I know there is not many black men on here. But I know yall doing the best yall can to give me some advice. I am just going to so open maybe thing would come

Hey bro...there are black dudes here...you'll get an answer as soon as one of them logs in...hang tight and don't give up hope for that perfect smooth bald head, that we all dig here!

BTW...Welcome! 8)

Offline abdominator3

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
hey man.. it all depends on your skin and how it reacts to against the grain shave ,.. personally if i shave against the grain i get ingrowns around the neck and the back of the head and some on top to ..
shaving daily with the grain just takes me 3-5mins and there is not soo much of a difference if you are a daily shaver .. i have thick black hair which grows really fast.. and the nba players you talking about bro ,you do not watch their heads closely on the tv as u watch yours in the mirror and the camera and everthing makes us think that way..
so what i would suggest is shave against the grain and see how it works on your skin and make a choice O0

Offline Park99

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »
Well when I 1st starting shave i did shave against the grain and there wasnt no problem on the top of my head and side but when I was doing the back I start from my neck and went up and a few day later bump pop up on the bottom of my neck. I think if I had start from the top and go down to my neck I think i wounldnt have the bump on my neck. What do yall think about that?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 01:08:25 PM »
The back of the neck seems particularly sensitive to bumps. I'll get them if I go over the area more than once.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Park!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline jumissa.fi

• Finnish B.B.C.
  • Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:14:18 AM »
Welcome O0
--- BBC since July 2oo7 ---

http://www.myspace.com/jumissafi

PE#1

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 05:18:45 AM »
Welcome Park.  I worked with a few black guys at my last job and there were two guys that had bald heads.  They both said they used a certain kind of cream ONLY designed for black males to remove the hair.  They said razors broke them out waaaay too much.  But I'm sure it just depends on how sensitive your skin is and how course your hair is.  Good luck man and welcome.   O0

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
    • www.myspace.com/dangman
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »
Although I'm obviously not black, I know theres plenty of black headshavers who go against the grain. I think I saw a couple on youtube, one demonstrating the headblade the other with the rolling razor. Like someone else said, your best bet, is to just experiment and see what happens. Just don't become too obsessive about trying to get it super smooth. I know I used to get razorbumps like no other when I was trying too hard to get it smooth. When your feeling for rough spots or missed spots, just lightly lay your hands on your head and run them in all directions. Don't press down too hard because no matter what theres going to be SOME form of a rough spot, take it easy especially on the back of your head. Same goes with your blade, don't press too hard. I don't mean to sound like I know it all or that your stupid or something, just trying to shave my chrome dome wisdom with you bro. Good luck and just experiment and find what works best for you.

Take it easy man

-Dan
Its good to be bald my friends :)

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
Welcome dude, and good luck.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 08:53:34 PM »
hey park:  welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  if U want 2 cut down on razor bumps... i know some black headshavers that use "bump patrol".  here's the link:  www.bumppatrol.com.  U might also want 2 perform a cold water rinse after headshaving, followed by an ice cube rub, pat dome dry, & splash some witchhazel.  anyways.... welcome 2 the forum & we hope that U become an active member of the best forum on the internet. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Enter your email address: