Author Topic: best way to shave the noggin for the 1st time?  (Read 7099 times)

Offline slickjay

• Sly Jr.
  • It could not possibly get any better than this.
best way to shave the noggin for the 1st time?
« on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:41 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on going bald next weekend (I just decided, and I need time to do research).

My first question is: Can I use my facial hair trimmer to get my hair down to stubble? I don't really want to buy a new set of trimmers if I'm only gonna use them one time. And I don't want to pay a barber to do something that I think I could do pretty easily.

Also, I'm interested in the Headblade. If I'm a bald rookie, is the Headblade a good choice (since I don't know any different, or should I try something else, like the Mach3?

One last thing: Should I get basic shaving gel, or should I get something designed for the dome?

"It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure to the world."

East of Eden, John Steinbeck

GASlick

Re: best way to shave the noggin for the 1st time?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
Get your hair down to stubble first. Depends on how thick your hair is, if the trimmer will work.  You can get a set of clippers at Wal-Mart for around $20 though.

HeadSlick is the best for your head.  I don't use a headblade, hush guys.  (there are some hardcore headbladers on here - lol)

I use a Mach3.  Take it slow the first time.  It will take a few times for you to get comfortable shaving your head, but it is so worth it.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »
Slickjay, welcome to SBG, post up in the intoduction section of the forum !!    O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »
Hey Slick !  Welcome, man

Here's a couple good step-by-step articles that I used when I first started shaving:

http://haircutsformen.org/buzz/pages/tipsshave.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Heads-Up---Ten-Techniques-For-Safely-Shaving-Your-Head&id=118560

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:26:15 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Slick! And congratulations in advance on your upcoming Slyness!

For the first time shave, I would heartily recommend the Mach 3 over the HeadBlade (But I'm one of those who had bad experiences with the HB.) As for gel versus something specifically designed for the dome, I'd say that all boils down to your finances. If finances are tight, I've read that barbers who do head shaves go for baby oil under shaving cream, and you probably already have those on hand (Just be dang sure to wash all the baby oil off before spending any appreciable time in the sun unless you want a fast and wicked sunburn on your newly sly dome!) If you want to spend a little cash, the combination of Shave Secret (A shaving oil available at WalMart) and HeadBlade's Headslick (Available at www.headblade.com or your local Walgreens) make a really nice combination for a slick dome shave.

Be sure to post up some before and after pics! O0

Offline THier

• Super Sly
  • Sorry for bad camera phone pic,,
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:27:27 AM »
As a new SBG here is MY opinion,,

The beard clipper will work,,, but it will be a lot of work. I had a hair clipper and that was a piece of cake.

I bought and used a Head Blade Sport for my first and every shave. (everyday for me)

I tried regular shave cream,, had less than perfect results, I bought HB Head Slick,, MUCH better.

I shaved off a full thick head of hair because I got tired of taking care of it, I needed to get a cut every two weeks,, three at the max. Now I spend maybe 5 mins shaving the dome in the shower.

Oh welcome, enjoy the baldness!! O0

Tom

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on going bald next weekend (I just decided, and I need time to do research).

My first question is: Can I use my facial hair trimmer to get my hair down to stubble? I don't really want to buy a new set of trimmers.

Of course you can use your beard trimmer to go down to stubble.
 No need to buy expensive clippers for the one time trim.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
I used my beard trimmer for years for short buzzing my hair.

Last year I bought a HB sport and HeadSlick. My first shave gave me some nicks and cuts, but what matters?
For the first time the HB with triple blade and going with the grain avoided the floods of blood  O0:

Rule No 1-10: No pressure upon the blades!!!!!

After some days I changed the blades and use till now my HB with double blades, first with, then against the grain. It gives the smoothest shave.

My routine: Shower with hot water, every other day exfoliating with HeadShed, then HeadSlick and shaving. After drying the skin moisturing with HeadLube glossy and the day starts with a slick shining head.  ::)

Enjoy your way to baldness and your new look.

J

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »
Listen to BaldBen,  a one time buzz shave does not need 'real equipment"..

or get the cool barbershop experience of walking in with hair and asking your barber to shave your head completely bald, smooth and to the skin (extra cool if there is a crowd)...

or go to a $5.00 barber and have him buzz you stubble bald and you do the rest!

Just get there...you'll dig being bald! O0

Offline slickjay

• Sly Jr.
  • It could not possibly get any better than this.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
Update:

I decided on the Headblade Sport (the only HB they had), with triple blades. I've used the Mach3 on my face before, and always got a little blood. I'll probably get blood with the HB for the first few times too, but I just think it'll be easier for me in the long run. I also got the Headshield gel, and an aftershave balm with SPF 15. I'm sure I'll find my own routine from here, but is there anything else I absolutely need right off the bat?

Now that I have everything I need, I really want to just shave it all off now! I probably won't wait a week. But I do want my goatee to grow a little longer. Probably two days at the most.

How long do the shaves take, before I get used to the routine?
"It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure to the world."

East of Eden, John Steinbeck

Offline THier

• Super Sly
  • Sorry for bad camera phone pic,,
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 05:18:32 AM »
Update:

I decided on the Headblade Sport (the only HB they had), with triple blades. I've used the Mach3 on my face before, and always got a little blood. I'll probably get blood with the HB for the first few times too, but I just think it'll be easier for me in the long run. I also got the Headshield gel, and an aftershave balm with SPF 15. I'm sure I'll find my own routine from here, but is there anything else I absolutely need right off the bat?

Now that I have everything I need, I really want to just shave it all off now! I probably won't wait a week. But I do want my goatee to grow a little longer. Probably two days at the most.

How long do the shaves take, before I get used to the routine?

Probably less than 10 min. Trick to HB,, NO PRESSURE on the blades, for me it seems the HB works better with quicker strokes, Probably should rinse after every stroke, I usually make two passes then rinse. Start shaving WITH the grain for a couple shaves, then if you want it real close shave against the grain. I have to shave mine everyday or the stubble is horrible,,, so I always shave against the grain.

Get,, I steal my wifes,,, an exfoliant and use it every couple of days.

Oh yea the most important thing enjoy.

Tom

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
or go to a $5.00 barber and have him buzz you stubble bald and you do the rest!

agreed... go to a place like SportClips, and 'git er done.'
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 05:40:43 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Jay!

I'm a HeadBlader and love it...... but I would be cautious about using it for your first head shave.

just shaving your head takes few times to get used to it...... same with the HB... takes a few shaves to get used to it. Could be a bad combination. You may want to try with your current razor once or twice before trying the HB.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields