Author Topic: New member with a few doubts  (Read 7968 times)

Offline sexybaldy

• Learning the way of Sly
New member with a few doubts
« on: October 01, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
Hi,
I am a new member to the shaved head family, I shaved my head because i was having male pattern baldness, i am 26.
first of all let me tell you i was very self consious of my shaved head for the past few days until i stumbled upon you blog, the stories i have read from this blog have given me tremendous confidense.
i Have a small problem, my dome is very shiny after i shaved it, I took the recommendation you guys have posted about applying sunscreen to protect my scalp, i used aveeno spf 30, but the problem is my scalp becomes very shiny, oily and glows. Last weekend a girl at a club made a pass on it and i felt really bad. I checked your previous post on matt looks, but can anyone please advise me which product will giveme a  dry,clean matt finish rather than an oily glow
i appreciate all your help in adavnce

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: New member with a few doubts
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »
Welcome dude.
The shine, especially on a balding head is normal.. something about as you're losing hair, you're head gets oily. (read that somewhere..can't confirm if its absolutely true).  So no matter what, you are going to get a shine, but there are products out there that can enhance or mute the look.  First off, sunscreen will make it super oily and shiny, unless you get something like Banana Boat Driblock, which has little to no oil.  Someone did a report on different matte products, and it seemed that the headblade matte finish lotion worked the best.  If that doesn't do the trick, you may try using powder, straight-up.  Maybe baby powder or the new "MAN POWDER"!!  I don't know if there has been any 'formal SBG studies' on powders on the head, but I've used baby powder on occasion to bring down the shine.  But don't like it much because of the smell.
Finally, lighting is going to be a big factor in your shine.  I'm assuming if you're at the club, and you don't like the shine, those random lights aren't going to be your best friend.
Also, if it makes you feel better about losing your hair at 26, I'm 23 and I don't have much "growing" hair on top.  Shaving has been the best choice I've made, because I can move on and live my life.
Glad you're here, enjoy the forum!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:29:41 PM »
Sandpaper is always a choice too.  LOL.  just fold it up in your wallet and whip it out when ever you need it.  LOL  NO DUDE...DO NOT USE SANDPAPER!

I am not one to ask about how to keep the shine down because I use Clear Aloe Vera on my noggin when i finish shaving.  It doesnt make it super shiny but it gives it a nice glow. 

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:43:52 PM »
I've tried the headlube matte and was not impressed. In fact I thought it left a really oily residue. I do use the Banana Boat Sport Performance for faces oil free sunscreen and it is great with no oily residue whatsoever. As far as keeping shine down the only way i can do it is to let my hair grow for a day. When it's freshly shaved i'm like a lighthouse.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 01:15:20 PM »
The two that I've found to be the best are Matte For Men or Dome Defense by Dome Essentials.  The powder idea is also a good one.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »
hey I just read this on website.  use corn starch.  No scent.  Cornstarch is found in baby powder which is the main ingredient.  Its cheaper than buying baby powder and Hey why not...give it a try...its all natural.  ???

Offline sexybaldy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »
Hey Guys,
I went ahead yesterday and bought the banana boat Driblock . Applying this immediately after shaving  does not reduce the shine to a considerable amount but from day 2 it does give a dry look. But i guess a partial glow after all is not that bad. Any way thanks once again for all you advises. 8)

BALDANDRE

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »
Send all your extra shine over here bro..

I dig when I'm shiny smooth...the more the better!

But the guys give good advice..hope it makes you like being bald more!

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
Send all your extra shine over here bro..

I dig when I'm shiny smooth...the more the better!

But the guys give good advice..hope it makes you like being bald more!

Totally agree with Andre....like shiny !!!   O0    But good luck getting the look you desire bro...

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »
Shiny is the BEST I love it too! 8)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »
I don't consider the shine to be a problem at all -- the shinier, the better.  Oiliness, however, can be a problem.  When I get home at the end of the day, I wash all the sunscreen off my scalp.  You shouldn't need it during the hours that you'll be in a club.  Wash your dome before you head out for the evening and you should be fine.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »
my sly head doesnt shy at all. i actually wish it would because it might make the receding shadow less noticeable then. i might buy a product to make it shine. as far as toning the shine down. theres powders you can use. jason taylor (washington redskins DE) powders his head so it doesnt shine. i heard that in an interview. i dunno what he uses though sorry. probably just an unscented baby powder im guessing?

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »
It's probably not any help to tell you I do everything I can to get a shine!  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 07:07:55 AM »
Personally I prefer my shiny. O0
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

slyatlast

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 07:42:41 AM »
Shine seems to be a matter of preference.  I thought the shine looked good on others so I bought a bottle of Head Lube Glossy.  Turns out I don't care for the look on me as it seems to magnify the little imperfections on my head (could compare it to the facets on a diamond -  but no, not quite the same!).   Now using the Matte and like it better.

Now I need to know some alternative uses for that bottle of Glossy. 

Any suggestions?   8)     

Enter your email address: