Author Topic: OK THIS IS NOT...I REPEAT NOT GOING TO WORK!  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
OK THIS IS NOT...I REPEAT NOT GOING TO WORK!
« on: September 24, 2008, 07:07:21 AM »
I am here pleading for any suggestion from all my bald bro's.  I NEED HELP!  No not that kind of help, the men in white coats are still out looking for me...but that aint gonna happen.  Anyways...you ever tried shaving your head in COLD WATER?  Well  I am getting ready to go down to Haiti and i will not have hot or even warm water.  I have been trying different things here at home before I go so I will know what will work best...and so far there is nothing..absolutely nothing that I can come up with.

SO I am asking you all to give me some advice...tips..idea's....ANYTHING.  If not...I WILL JUST HAVE TO WALK A LIL ON THE OTHER SIDE....

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: OK THIS IS NOT...I REPEAT NOT GOING TO WORK!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:16:30 AM »
I'm assuming you'll have somewhere to cook...even if it's a fire. Heat up a pot/bowl of water and use that....
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline captain blackleg

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:18:01 AM »
Take an electric razor with you?

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 07:21:11 AM »
I have tried to shave in cold water before and your right, it doesn't work well.....Have you tried an oil like Shave Secret and rubbing it in good and then put the shave cream on that? The only other thing I can think of is to go with an electric but there is probably no electricity there either....Hmmmmmm.....If I can think of anything more I'll let you know....how about heating water over a fire??   :D

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:28:23 AM »
Koz has the best suggestion....heat water.
If there are no matches, electricity, or gas in Haiti and you MUST use cold water, then some type of shaving oil/gel (KoS, Blad Guyz) would be your best bet.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:53 AM »
If there is a Surplus or camping store near you Tim, get some heat tabs.  These are Alka Seltzer size tablets that are great for heating up water.  Just make sure they are in your stowed luggage though.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:37:05 AM »
Hey Timmj,
                  I'm sure you guys have a similar product out there, but here in Canada, Canadian Tire has a portable hot water heater desighned for camping so you can have a HOT shower here is a link
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443288217&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672292&bmUID=1222266841304
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
Bold For Men :)
http://www.boldformen.com

Works awesome... I'd show you my review but I don't want to cause trouble :x!

Get it, it works. O0
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:41:54 AM by Lucky13MN »

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
  • They call it the Damato
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
Ok... you aren't gonna like this, but I can tell you from experience. I've been there, spent 10 days on a mission trip there and in the Dominican Republic. 

You are not going to want to shave while your there, unless it is with electric razor.  My reason?  You already are limited on drinking water that is available to drink with, and you do NOT want to shave with their other water that is not for drinking.  Their "drinking" water took our systems a few days to get used to (if you know what i mean) Imaging shaving and the chances of the "stuff" in the water being able to get right into your blood stream. 

On a side note it is pleasantly hot this time of year.  Day and night expect it to not get any cooler than 90 degrees at night, averaging around 95-100 during the day.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »
Bold For Men :)
http://www.boldformen.com

Works awesome... I'd show you my review but I don't want to cause trouble :x!

Get it, it works. O0

That looks pretty promising! And in the short time I've been here, Lucky seems to be the resident "I'll be the guinea pig dome, so the rest of you don't have to" guy  :P
Maybe that and some boiled water to kill off whatever creepy crawlies might enter one's bloodstream?

Offline captain blackleg

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »
Ok... you aren't gonna like this, but I can tell you from experience. I've been there, spent 10 days on a mission trip there and in the Dominican Republic. 

You are not going to want to shave while your there, unless it is with electric razor.  My reason?  You already are limited on drinking water that is available to drink with, and you do NOT want to shave with their other water that is not for drinking.  Their "drinking" water took our systems a few days to get used to (if you know what i mean) Imaging shaving and the chances of the "stuff" in the water being able to get right into your blood stream. 

On a side note it is pleasantly hot this time of year.  Day and night expect it to not get any cooler than 90 degrees at night, averaging around 95-100 during the day.

This is a great point and I'm actually embarrassed I didn't think of it at first, considering all the info I give out about similar issues regarding new tattoos and piercings. If I just had to shave my head while there, I'd definitely be using an electric, I can't imagine being in a new environment and dealing with whatever crazy head irritations a freshly shaved head could cause.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 11:35:05 AM »
Matt when did you go on a mission trip there?  We are leaving Oct 10 and this will be my second trip there.  We went the Spring of 07 and we are finding out that is it hot there right now.  Thats going to suck.  I just really am not sure what I will do while I am there.  All I can say boys is that this cat might have to just let his hair grow out that week.  I will be sure to send you all pics..

Timmay

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
You can get solar heated bags for outdoor showers for like 40 bucks. Use to have one, worked wonders

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
i would use one of those but we have to hang it out side and it will probably get stolen.

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
  • They call it the Damato
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »
Matt when did you go on a mission trip there?  We are leaving Oct 10 and this will be my second trip there.  We went the Spring of 07 and we are finding out that is it hot there right now.  Thats going to suck.  I just really am not sure what I will do while I am there.  All I can say boys is that this cat might have to just let his hair grow out that week.  I will be sure to send you all pics..

Timmay

It was the first part of October 2006 .... so yeah, trust me, It's hot right now.   After being there for 10 days, I nearly froze when I returned to the states and went anywhere with A/C for about a week.

Don't feel bad about letting it grow out. I'm leaving this evening for a 3 day men's church retreat and don't plan on shaving the noggin. We've been told hot water will be very limited.

Enter your email address: