Author Topic: Digital speech recognition  (Read 3294 times)

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Digital speech recognition
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:25:38 AM »
In our office we use digital speech recognition since 1999. We have MBS Speech magic by Philips. I like it very much.
Now we have the 4th version and it becomes better and better. I think it's a very useful item.

About 98% of the words are correct recognised. There are always the same problems. In German language words end sometimes with an "n" and sometimes with an "m". That and similar discriminations seem to be difficult.

What are your experiences?

J

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
Re: Digital speech recognition
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:33:17 AM »
What do you use it for?
I've done some work on automated call handling for telephone systems (Avaya) and they are now very accurate.
Many years ago I looked at voice recognition for PC control and it wasn't really up to the job.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 06:43:30 AM »
I work as a radiologist. We dictate the findings and letters of our examinations by digital speech recognition. So we are independent wether there is someone to write our dictations.

J

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »
I sometimes use "Dragon Naturally Speaking",.  It's ok.  It just took a lot of time to "Train" the software.
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:50:35 PM »
I sometimes use "Dragon Naturally Speaking",.  It's ok.  It just took a lot of time to "Train" the software.
Did you use the Vocabulary Editor?

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:02:48 PM »
I work as a radiologist. We dictate the findings and letters of our examinations by digital speech recognition. So we are independent wether there is someone to write our dictations.

J

joergHH,

What software do you use?  I'm looking for digital speech recognition software with a medical lexicon.

Andrew
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »
Digital speech recongnition has been used in Radiology for many years now.  makes life easier for the Radiologists.
It also can be seamlessly integrated in the PACS so the reports are much more timely.

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »
Did you use the Vocabulary Editor?
Yep...can still be a pain in the butt sometimes
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?