Author Topic: What made you go bald?  (Read 287561 times)

JWShaw89

Re: What made you go bald?
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »
The thinning got too much, so off it came.
It's like a bungee-jump - you spend so much time worrying about it, then when you get it over you wish you wonder what all the fuss was about - and you want to go again and again and again...

HoodooMan

« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »
wow, great thread guys. i starting with the receding hairline and thinning at about 18. i (think) i covered it up pretty well until about 20. rogaine, vitamins, shampoos, you name it i used it. even researched the transplant route. but i refused to take any pills or have any "procedures" done. i was completely distraught over the whole thing. very depressed. finally a month ago (i'm now 23, in college) i came home from a late gig at a bar with my band and i buzzed it low, then mach 3'd it all off. i woke up the next day and said "holy sh*^!" but i feel so free now. i don't have to worry about my hair any more. it's such a relief since i ride my motorcycle everywhere and don't have to worry about fixing my hair! family HATES it, but i feel like a new man!! remember, drunken lips(or thoughts) speak a truthful mind. so i knew all along what i had to do, shave it! it just took a case of beer for me to figure it out!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »
so i knew all along what i had to do, shave it! it just took a case of beer for me to figure it out!

Nice!!!! You got here my bald bro...

that's what's important! O0

marty22

« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »
Took me 3 years to finally work up to sly. You're lucky u had the balls to do it quickly.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »
Took me 3 years to finally work up to sly. You're lucky u had the balls to do it quickly.

Took me twice as long.

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »
I started thinning in college, but my friends and family were too nice about it.  I kept getting the lines like "you've got a full head of hair" and "it doesn't look thin at all".  While I appreciated the positive comments, I was not blind.  :D

When it first started thinning I would think to myself that one day I would have pugs done and everything would be fine.  The thought of shaving my head never crossed my mind.

Fast forward a few years, I accidentally got my hair cut pretty short and liked it.  I managed to grow it back out, but it didn't look as good.  I had this awkward way of styling my hair to cover the spot.  It wasn't quite a comb over, but I'd put some gel in it, spike it up and let it dry a little, then push it forward for the illusion of body lol. 

It finally got so noticeable that I began the online research only to find SBG.  I read the pics and testimonials.  At first, I still had no intention of shaving my head, but thought having it trimmed short would be the best way to go.  So, I trimmed it to a #3 for a few weeks. 

Then I caught myself staring at the thinning area in the mirror and that was the end.  I didn't know if it would look good, but I was tired of worrying about thinning.  Lurking the SBG site pushed me over the edge and I wish I would have shaved my head years earlier lol. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:40:46 PM by jhickman »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »
...I wish I would have shaved my head years earlier lol. 

Now how many times have we heard that?   :)

Glad you're happy with the "new you".  The goat looks good, too BTW.   O0

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
There's so many reasons I did it, here are just a few:
- I was already losing it (receding hairline and thinning top)
- I wear hats a lot (not to hide it so much, but more that I love how I look in hats) and being Sly allows me to never worry about hat hair
- My hair would grow so fast that I would have to get haircuts every two weeks, which adds up in terms of money pretty quickly
- I had to spend a decent amount of time styling my hair to get it too look just right. If it was a little bit off, it would bother me
- I hated dealing with rain ruining my hair, same with the wind
- My hair would get really greasy after like 12 or so hours, for example, in the morning, the oil from my scalp and the gel/wax I used to style it would just make it gross

I really could go on...

But being Sly is great because:
- I never have to worry about how my hair looks throughout the day or when I remove my hat or when I'm in the rain or wind
- I feel much cleaner throughout the day
- Anytime I get a little hot or sweaty, sticking my head under a faucet is no problem at all, even at work
- It looks pretty badass on me I think

Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2008, 10:45:30 PM »
Thx razor.

I'm with you BlackJamesRackham, having to deal with, style, and put product in hair was the worst!!

If only we knew then what we know now.  O0

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »
Thx razor.

I'm with you BlackJamesRackham, having to deal with, style, and put product in hair was the worst!!

If only we knew then what we know now.  O0

Amen to that, brotha!
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline BJ

• Sly
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
The thinning got too much, so off it came.
It's like a bungee-jump - you spend so much time worrying about it, then when you get it over you wish you wonder what all the fuss was about - and you want to go again and again and again...
Super analogy JWShaw. 
Welcome to the fold.  O0

Offline jerkNturk

• The Forum Turk
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • el oh el
« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2008, 03:21:59 AM »
I started losing my hair at about age 17. I'm 19 now, and have fully shaved myself once and liked it. However I kind of just keep it really really short as seen in my profile pic.

Offline babzog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
What made me go bald.  You mean, besides the cursed gene that took half my hair?   :x!

After I kicked out the ex in '04, I decided a new look was in order.  Tired of "pretending" I had styleable hair and not interested in transplants, combovers (gawd), concoctions from the local chemist (as if I wanna trade my sex life for hair), I got it buzzed to #2, shortly thereafter to #1.  Kept it that way since, shaving it off a couple of times for kicks. 

Been nearly two weeks now in the SLY style.  I like it.  Wife's not so impressed, she likes some stubble, but I like the feel.  Still getting used to it... I almost feel "phantom" hair.. like there should be something there but there's nothing but smooth (or velcro, depending on when I last shaved) dome.

Offline Diesel_Power

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »
My hairline started to recede when I was 19. I began buzzing my hair again right after wards. I then started getting high and tights and I kept going shorter. Then I started getting skin fades with  #2 at the top and finally I was getting a skin fade with a #1 at the top and then lastly I went to the barber and had him shave me completely bald.

Going bald for me was easier for me to except since pretty much most of my teen years I had a buzz cut and I always liked really short and shaved hair. I knew at a young age that if I was to go bald I would shave my head completely bald. Especially when I looked at my mom's side of the family and saw my uncle and grandpa's horseshoes. I knew I never wanted to look like that.

Offline baldspartan

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:23 PM »
Back in 1997 I was going to be up in the woods for about 10 days and decided to shave the head. I wasn't fooling anyone with the lack of hair on the top of the dome so I figured it couldn't hurt. About  a week into the trip, a good friend (female) came through the area and stopped for a visit (purely platonic I might add). She loved the look and the rest is history.

For the record I had thinning red hair that was kept pretty short anyways so shaving it down to the scalp wasn't too much of a stretch. 

My wife has never seen me with hair other than photo's and says that without a doubt I look better bald than I did with hair.  Lucky for me!!

O0

Enter your email address: