Author Topic: What made you go bald?  (Read 287367 times)

shakf

Re: What made you go bald?
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2007, 11:08:55 PM »
I guess a combination of genetics and it was the only real alternative. I had a really thick head of hair till my early 20's. I inherited this from my father (I also inherited the baldness) My father went bald in his mid thirties so when I was in my teens I figured that I have a long time yet, but it got to me before that. I married really young. Both me and my wife were 19 when we got married. We are both 33 now and have 4 kids the eldest being 12. I had all sorts of hairstyles in my youth ranging from flat tops to curtains and even a mullet. When I started to recede I kept my hair shorter like keeping it cropped and brushed forward. Anyway to cut a long story short I used to keep dropping hints to my family that I would get rid of it once it started to recede badly. I received fairly negative opinions mainly from my mother who said that my head wasn't the right shape and was not symmetrical. I have more of a protrusion on my right then on the left at the back. Also because my parents are divorced my mother really hates my father. She used to say that my head sticks out at the back like his and dreaded the day that I would go bald. To be honest a perfect head in my opinion is one that has very little protrusion and is not angular. Anyway I did the deed about 3 weeks ago. Initially my wife didn't like it but now she does and says it looks much better. My mother still does not like it and keeps reminding me about my head shape whenever she sees me. It has become a bit of a neurosis for me now because of constant bombardment. But all my colleagues and friends really like it. Just my mum who doesn't. Or maybe they are just too polite to say anything!

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2007, 02:52:31 AM »
Shakf I don't think your friends are just being polite. The look really does suit you bro, I think your mum's being a bit unfair really. It's not your fault if you look like your father! I don't think you've got anything to worry about either regarding head-shape - If I were you I'd be tempted to ask her to stop with all the negative comments - maybe tell her she's already made her opinion plain & you don't need to keep hearing it.

I mean if you're wife likes it ... well that counts for more than what your mum thinks doesn't it? .... do your kids like it?
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

shakf

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2007, 02:57:59 AM »
They laughed at it originally because they are young but thats about it. They would laugh at any bald guy really because thats just the way kids are. My friends really dig it and asked why I didn't do it earlier! They said it makes me look smart and sharp.

JohnMont

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2007, 11:24:56 AM »
They laughed at it originally because they are young but thats about it. They would laugh at any bald guy really because thats just the way kids are. My friends really dig it and asked why I didn't do it earlier! They said it makes me look smart and sharp.

"smart and sharp" says it all.  You look extremelly hip and cool with a shaved head.  its absollutely the best thing you can be doing .   It's too bad about your Mum.  I can understand her feelings; but she just needs to accept the fact.  Maybe try to remind her in subtle ways that you are NOT your father (even though you look like him).   Just to say it one more time; you ROCK the sly look.  It'd be a shame to go for any other look.

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2007, 02:49:54 PM »
Picture it. Grown men in their 20's and 30's spending 200 dollars at a hair salon getting the latest emo combover cut or faux hawk. Buying expensive hairgels and spray to make their oh so pretty do's look even prettier.

Well truth be told ,this made me sick.

Being SLY is not inexpensive to say the least dude!! :Xo!
It costs as much buying all the shaving gear (blades, moisturizers, shave gels and creams) as the hair stuff I used to buy. In my case even more, since I'm shaving off a full head of hair.

What made me go SLY? Have to admit it started off as a bet. But I like the
look and there's no turning back! O:O

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

JohnMont

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2007, 07:17:16 PM »
time to analyze why I decided to go for the shaved head.  I think that with the  way my hair was thinning; esp. at the front; that my "best" --  look would be shaved.   I had been trying lots of short haircuts; and I always had to fool around with the front a lot to get it to look "right"  And although it was nothing like a comb over; I found I was fussing around with the front in order to make it look "fuller."  I really detested the fact that I looked like  a 'balding' guy who didn't have enuf hair up front to make a regular haircut 'work.'   

So i started going for buzzcuts; #3, #2 ....  shorter and shorter as everyone who knows me here knows.  Finally ; the buzz got so short that it was just one medium hard gulp and I was sly. 
Like I said; bald is my best look.  And by 'best' i mean .....  most striking ;  I like the way it 'hardens' up my regular looks.  I think I look my confident this way; look like i've taken a definite stand to go for a decisively, uncompromisingly masculine look . ....   I guess that about does it.

John

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2007, 03:21:48 AM »
Picture it. Grown men in their 20's and 30's spending 200 dollars at a hair salon getting the latest emo combover cut or faux hawk. Buying expensive hairgels and spray to make their oh so pretty do's look even prettier.

Well truth be told ,this made me sick.

Being SLY is not inexpensive to say the least dude!! :Xo!
It costs as much buying all the shaving gear (blades, moisturizers, shave gels and creams) as the hair stuff I used to buy. In my case even more, since I'm shaving off a full head of hair.

What made me go SLY? Have to admit it started off as a bet. But I like the
look and there's no turning back! O:O

Ben I dont recall saying being Sly was cheap or inexpensive. But I can sure as hell tell you its a lot cheaper than the 50 bucks I used to shell out every 6weeks to get a hair cut and the countless gels and conditioners and the 500 dollar hair straightener that I used to use.

I too am shaving a full head of hair and sure it can be tedious to have to shave but the rewards from it much outweigh anything else.

KALBO

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »
What made me go bald?

Genetics...father's male pattern baldness mixed my my mother's high forehead and ultra thin hair!

What made me go SLY?

BaldRob pointing out how pointless it was for me to hold on to the few strands of hair I had left...of course, we all know what it is like after you take the plunge!  Wished I would have done it years ago!

Offline nilagorilla

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2007, 09:28:36 PM »
I never had any bald spots But my hair started thinning  due to use of anadrol and a few other combos .the estrogen blocker I was using didt work good enough and I wasnt going to use that skunk smelling cream that keeps your hair so I thinned a little on top ,so I started for awhile buzzing it without a guard on ,and one morning woke up started to shave my face and tried to fight back my hand but inched closer.....closer...closer ,and then WHACK! It vanished before my eyes lol,Been smoother than a gnats ass on a cool sunday morning ever since

Offline nilagorilla

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:19 PM »
One thing I do wonder alot is I see the guys in public balding and holding on to a sprig or 2 that they have ,You know all types of guys ,proffessionaly and so on ,and seriously I'm like that dude has no idea how flat out just goofy that it looks and just would look so much better to get rid of that junk .

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2007, 09:38:19 PM »

the estrogen blocker I was using didt work good enough

??? ???  Estrogen blocker?   ??? ???

Offline nilagorilla

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2007, 09:41:23 PM »
when your on a juice (chemical muscle enhancement) cycle you use estrogen blocker's so the gallons of new test that you have dont convert to estrogen.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »
What made me go bald? Donations!

For the past few years I have participated in the local Heart Walk (for my son). This year I wanted to make things a little interesting and also blow the doors off of my past donation totals. SO, I got the idea to do a head shaving fund raiser. I set the goal and the date and started to watch the donations roll in. Let me tell you, if you want to raise a lot of money for a charity, a head shaving fund raiser is the way to go. The goal was met before my October 1st deadline, so I took the plunge over this past weekend. I love it. It will be hard to let it grow back in - if I do at all :)
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2007, 07:49:16 AM »
What made me go bald? Donations!

For the past few years I have participated in the local Heart Walk (for my son). This year I wanted to make things a little interesting and also blow the doors off of my past donation totals. SO, I got the idea to do a head shaving fund raiser. I set the goal and the date and started to watch the donations roll in. Let me tell you, if you want to raise a lot of money for a charity, a head shaving fund raiser is the way to go. The goal was met before my October 1st deadline, so I took the plunge over this past weekend. I love it. It will be hard to let it grow back in - if I do at all :)

BalDoug that is a wonderful thing to do for your son O0

Plus you have discovered the joy of Slyness, so double good.

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
What made me go bald? , a head shaving fund raiser is the way to go. The goal was met before my October 1st deadline, so I took the plunge over this past weekend. I love it. It will be hard to let it grow back in - if I do at all :)
Doug, that's a great reason to go SLY.

But I bet you didn't no this whole bald thing is so addictive.
Ha, looks like you be SLy for awhile.
Anyway Doug, it's good to have you around this place.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin