Author Topic: What made you go bald?  (Read 287293 times)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
Re: What made you go bald?
« Reply #390 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »
Awesome story Bilko. You look great sly.

I enjoy going to a barber every once in awhile for a straight razor head shave. It feels good to be pampered every now and then.

Offline F77Scot

• Sly
  • Bald and Bearded...and loving it!
« Reply #391 on: November 18, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
As I have posted elsewhere on this site, I have had fairly short hair most of my life. In my teens I joined the Air Training Corps & then moved on to the Army Cadets & then Army Reserves (Territorial Army) & the regular army for a spell. Always had short hair during that time but never what I would call BALD. One summer, not too long ago, I went to my barbers for my regular summer cut (usually a #2 back-and-sides & #3 on top). When I sat in the barber's seat, my barber asked me if I would like to have my hair real short since it was so warm & I wouldn't have to go back for a haircut every 2-3 weeks that I had been doing. I agreed that a shorter than my normal haircut would be good change. The next thing I was caped up, the barber took the guard off the clippers & reduced my hair to microscopic stubble. He asked me to feel it. It felt like suede. Then he said to me; "Shorter?". I said yes. He took another clipper - a #00000 blade Oster & shaved my head. Now I couldn't see any hair...I looked bald but he asked me to feel my head.....weird.... I could still feel stubble, although I couldn't "see" it! He asked if I was ready for the next step.... with a gulp in my throat..... I said yes. Next he applied a lotion & then a hot towel to my head... Wow!! Next he took of the towel & applied warm lather.....Wow,again! Next came the straight edge razor & the head was scraped smooth..... Amazing experience........The rest, as they say, is history. BALD is BEST.

Bilko1, great story. I can relate to getting shorter and shorter buzzcuts...then thought there is nowhere else to go after the no guard. It took me a while to get there but as you say bald is best. I will need to try out the barbershop shave at some point now there is somewhere near me that does it now!

Offline Doctor X

• Sly Jr.
  • BBC: Because Sly is WAY better than bad hair.
« Reply #392 on: November 20, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
I actually started out about 10 years ago cutting my own hair and cropping it gradually shorter. Even 7 years ago, I had it cut down to no guard with a beard trimmer. Much easier to deal with. Over the last seven years I've watched the top recede (and thin) farther and farther back, along with the appearance of a lot of gray. I'd started cutting the top a bit longer than the rest to try to maintain the illusion that it was the same length as the rest, but it was starting to look pretty bad on top.

Since most people guess my age as about 7-12 years younger than I am anyway, I thought it was just time to go for it and stay looking younger for as long as possible.

Offline Rino

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »
I've been wondering how i'd look with a buzz cut for years now. One day, I decided to go for it and buzz my head. Been doing that for a few months and just recently I decided to shave it all off. I have no plans on growing my hair back for now.

P.S. Anyone know why my avatar pic is sideways?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 06:34:29 PM by Rino »

fullbaldie1988

« Reply #394 on: December 18, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
I really like to be bald.
My first bald expierience was about 3 years ago and i really enjoy it.
Guys, do you think it fits on me and should i keep the bald look?

Thanks for comments!

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #395 on: December 18, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
G'Day Fullbaldie mate,

Firstly, welcome to Sly Bald Guys and yes it does suit you.

Looking good  O0

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #396 on: December 18, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »

That should answer your question right there, do what makes you happy, plus I reckon you look great.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #397 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »
My first bald expierience was about 3 years ago and i really enjoy it.
Guys, do you think it fits on me and should i keep the bald look?

Thanks for comments!

Welcome Patrick.

What's not to like? You look distinguished, comfortable and confident. Don't think you could want more than that.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline F77Scot

• Sly
  • Bald and Bearded...and loving it!
« Reply #398 on: January 01, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »

I think you have answered your own question, if you like being bald then it is right for you! It looks as though you were meant for the look.

prixmo93

« Reply #399 on: January 07, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
I went bald as a means of embracing the receding hairline, the look has always intrigued me, and  because I got tired of soliciting help buzzing my head.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #400 on: January 07, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
I was buzzing my hair for the prior 5 years.  Then a few bald friends said, you're hair is so short already, you might as well shave it bald.  Well, that got me going. And last January I shaved my head.

I love the results.  So I've stuck with it this past year. Plan to keep it up for as long as I'm physically able to shave my head. It's just the right thing to do.

Thanks guys, for your support.

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #401 on: January 19, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
I buzzed my hair for awhile. Saw my friend with it. Realized how unique it is. And no one else in the school has it, so i gave it a shot non regretfully!
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:22 AM »
Sounds like a perfectly good reason to me, Joe

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2013, 05:18:22 AM »
Same story with me. Started wearing crew cuts and hnt's. and I just gradually went shorter and shorter. A buddy of mine buzzed it down without a guard. I looked bald headed and liked the look so I got curious about shaving with a razor. Haven't used a comb in 10 years!

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #404 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »
It is Slyfive. Thank you!
"Sly til the day I die"