Author Topic: Shaving your head with a DE Razor  (Read 26323 times)

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
Re: Shaving your head with a DE Razor
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 06:24:32 AM »

How are these working out for you? I just won a bid on a Gillette Slim Adjustable over the weekend, it is a 1963 model, older than me. :) Should be in the mail box tomorrow or Thursday. I'm going to give it a really good cleaning and try it this Saturday.

I'm looking forward to using it for face shaving only, for now, perhaps I'll try it on the dome after I get the hang of it.

They make for a very smooth shave. O0 However, at least with me, there was a substantial learning curve to manipulate the razor without bloodying up the place. DE's also require you to shave the surface multiple times in order to get that close, smooth result. They're not like today's multi-blade razors that clean the surface of any hair in just one pass. That's why I have reserved using a DE on weekends only where I have much more time to spend in the shower working on that perfect shave. :@`

Let me know how it works out for you.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »
I learned to shave my face with a DE  , and recently went back to trying it out for a while.  There is a reason why they are not in popular demand any more . That is in... IMO because a regular two bladed razor ( not 4&5 ) is much superior than a DE. The 4,5,6 bladed razor are a different story on your face, just a bunch of hype and WAY over priced. :x!

Shaving your head with a multi bladed razor I think is fine but my head does not require there use.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:05:17 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline billy10388

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:21 PM »
ugabulldog, Try a different blade. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/ has sample packs so you can see what blade works best for you.

I save the DE headshave for special occasions. I have found that they are closer, last longer & the shadow is no where NEAR as dark as what I have with a HB. With that said, it takes me almost 20 minutes, so I don't do it often.

When I DO shave my head with a DE, I use a Gillette tech and Wal-mart DE blades. I use Merkur Super Platinum blades on my face with a Gelette SuperSpeed Blue Tip
Such a very amazing link!

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 01:45:17 AM »
I learned to shave my face with a DE  , and recently went back to trying it out for a while.  There is a reason why they are not in popular demand any more . That is in... IMO because a regular two bladed razor ( not 4&5 ) is much superior than a DE. The 4,5,6 bladed razor are a different story on your face, just a bunch of hype and WAY over priced. :x!

Shaving your head with a multi bladed razor I think is fine but my head does not require there use.

The De face shaving community is growing pretty large. I actually enjoy face shaving with the DE. There are literary hundreds of different combinations with the different razors and blades available. I enjoy the nostalgia of using a razor from the 30s, :) I bought me a years worth of blades for 9 bucks too, I love the economy of it as well.
I really don't see my self shaving my head with the DE though. I think with the right blade / razor comb it is easily possible to get as close a shave with the DE as the cartridges.
"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
Kojak....I tried the DE not to long ago and I thought it had a lot of drag. But to be honest I only tried one type of blade. I will try some different blades before I give it up. Years ago thats all I used was a DE .

Offline bearwolf56

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »
I use a DE to shave my face and did try shaving my head a few times but never could get the hang oft it. I bought my razors at antique stores. Then cleaned up very well and didn't cost that much. Neither do the blades. There are places online you can order new ones but they are sort of costly. And of course there's always Ebay.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »
If you visit the DE razor boards you will find that most members suggest that you but a sample of blades from between 5-12 different popular blades. I have read quite a few reviews on these blades and Derby seems to be a really well reviewed blade that gets hight ratings across the board. With that said I fould an Amazon seller that I bought 100 blades from for $8.90 with free shipping. Since I bought my blades and have posted the link elsewhere the blades have gone up to $11.49 for 100, but the shipping is still free.

11 cents a blade is great economy for this excellent quality blade. Here is the link for anyone that my have interest in Derby blades at an excellent price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013RZ2ZM/ref=oss_product

Here is a link for a few good priced sample packs.
http://www.razorandbrush.com/Sampler.html

Offline FightFan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 02:04:43 AM »
I've been using a DE razor for the past 5 months and love it. I use the wilkinson sword blades which last alot of shaves. It took a good month of shaving everyday to get the hang of it but I will never go back. Its cheap and I get a really close shave without the irritation I get from a mach 3 or multiblade razor

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 07:18:50 PM »
Thanks Kojak for the links, I think I may try a sample pack.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
I did the deed and shaved my dome with the DE last night for the first time. That turned out to be the closest shave yet. I got a few nicks out of it and a little burn, but no bumps or visible cuts.
It took a lot longer, but I realize a few thing I could do to improve the shave and minimize the nicks. I know that this is not going to be my daily shave method for the dome, but I could see doing it once a week to develop my skill level.
I think I used a razor that was to aggressive, and I do have some less aggressive ones that will shave as close as this one did.

Here is a picture of the razor I used.