Author Topic: Shaving your head with a DE Razor  (Read 26414 times)

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
Shaving your head with a DE Razor
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:03:24 AM »
I have journeyed away from my headblade for the last few days to try something different and I actually like it. I shave my face with a DE and it gets increadibly close so I decided to try shaving my head and I like the results.  The shave is closer but I have to be extremely cautious that I do not cut my head.  Anybody here tried it? If you have, how do you like it? Thx

B@n%

God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
Re: Shaving your head with a DE Razor
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »
Yeah i've had ago with my Gillette SuperSpeed,its close but like you said have to be careful.I'll stick with my Headblade for my head & the SS for my face

Ian
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

ugabulldog

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »
I have tried using a DE on my face (watched plenty of instructional videos) but it always pulls the hair and hurts more than a safety razor. Any advice? I do still employ the badger brush and proraso shaving cream, that helps. Sorry to hijack.... no, definetly haven't tried on head.

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
ugabulldog, Try a different blade. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/ has sample packs so you can see what blade works best for you.

I save the DE headshave for special occasions. I have found that they are closer, last longer & the shadow is no where NEAR as dark as what I have with a HB. With that said, it takes me almost 20 minutes, so I don't do it often.

When I DO shave my head with a DE, I use a Gillette tech and Wal-mart DE blades. I use Merkur Super Platinum blades on my face with a Gelette SuperSpeed Blue Tip
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:41:48 PM by Deadbob »

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 02:38:44 PM »
ugabulldog, Try a different blade. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/ has sample packs so you can see what blade works best for you.

I save the DE headshave for special occasions. I have found that they are closer, last longer & the shadow is no where NEAR as dark as what I have with a HB. With that said, it takes me almost 20 minutes, so I don't do it often.

When I DO shave my head with a DE, I use a Gillette tech and Wal-mart DE blades. I use Merkur Super Platinum blades on my face with a Gelette SuperSpeed Blue Tip

Hey DB, I'm a HeadBlader and I use the HB for my face as well but I am very interested in using a DE for my face. Now I have used one before when I was much younger (my Grandfathers' Gillette. I should'a asked him for it way back then) and loved the shave. Of course since then I have been shaving with really whatever I could find on the market in whatever location I found myself. So I have a couple of questions...

Are DE razors still made? If so, can I find one at a local pharmacy or drug store? I preferred the TTO style as opposed to the 3 piece. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
I'm relatively new to DE shaving but have found these videos by this gentleman invaluable.  http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59  I'm assuming these are the instructional videos  mentioned abit ago.  Does take longer but certainly if my face shaving's anything to go by, with a good prep, the shave can be awesome. Different blades do work differently for people so as DeadBob mentioned it's worth getting a sample pack of different varieties to try. Once you think you've found a good brand, they are quite cheap. I'm still going through my pack and found all them good so far.  Working up to blades called Feathers from japan which are regarded to amongst the sharpest u can buy.  Still have to be careful though so when I get back to head shaving, I'm still going to primarily use my DE only as a finishing tool.

Yeah you can still buy DE razors off ebay but in the main I only know of online vendors as it's abit hard to find hight street retailers, in Uk anyway.  Merkur are a very reputable firm in this area and I've got the Merkur HD. A very solid two piece and regarded as great razor to start with for beginners like moi and even amongst experienced wet shavers.

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:41:58 PM »
I've been shaving my head exclusively with a DE for over 2 years.
I have about  8 razors that I rotate shaving with.
I don't have a single favorite razor, I like variety
Early 40s Gillette Milord.
Predate code Gillette Aristocrat.
Gillette Fatboy Adjustable.
Gillette Slim Adjustable.
Merkur Progress.
For blades I like Derby, Israelis, Feathers and Bic DE blades (available from a Ebayer in Poland)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:51:33 PM by cooncatbob »

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »
I don't a single favorite razor, I like variety
Merkur Progress.
For blades I like Derby, Israelis, Feathers and Bic DE blades (available from a Ebayer in Poland)

WOW! That's an impressive collection. I am looking at picking up a Fat Boy Adjustable and maybe a Parker TTO Long Handle.

I have heard that the Feathers are the absolute sharpest blades ever and that they can be difficult to get use to (i.e. not cutting the sh*t outta your face), did you find that to be true?

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 07:01:43 PM »

WOW! That's an impressive collection. I am looking at picking up a Fat Boy Adjustable and maybe a Parker TTO Long Handle.

I have heard that the Feathers are the absolute sharpest blades ever and that they can be difficult to get use to (i.e. not cutting the sh*t outta your face), did you find that to be true?
[/quote]

I only use the Feathers in Adjustable razors or a mild razor like a Gillette 3 piece Tech.
Razors like the Aristocrat are already quite aggressive and if you put Feather in them they will give a harsh shave, I find Derby and Israeli blades work well in these aggressive razors.
The mistake many newcomers to DE razors make is not trying a variety of blades with each razor, many DE razors prefer different blades.
Once a person has honed their technique and matched razor and blade your can get BBS shave with no irritation.
BTW. I haven't heard many good review on the Parker TTOs.
I would go with the used Gillettes and the Merkurs. I find the Merkur Progress to be the best new razor out there. It can be adjusted to give a great shave with any blade.
BTW. That not my collection, that's just the rotation.
I've had a bad case of RAD but I'm better now.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:03:57 PM by cooncatbob »

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »
When we moved a couple years ago, I came across the DE that I used aboard ship during my Navy days.  The thought crossed my mind, and I just as quickly said, "Naaah!"  It is a Gillette Safety and there are still a couple "platinum plus" stainless blades with it.  I don't think that I have the flexibility in my shoulders and wrists to get the right angle with it.

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
I don't have a single favorite razor, I like variety
Merkur Progress.

nice collection of razors you have
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
OK. I'm gonna pull this one up from the grave because today I got my first DE razor. A Weishi TTO.

Now I had read a few reviews on this particular razor and it has been heralded as a great beginners DE. I had my first shave with it this evening  using one of the Dorco blades that came with the razor. I have to admit that it is a very forgiving razor. Not aggressive at all which is great for a beginner like myself. This gives me the opportunity to hone my technique. I did get the closest shave I had in a very long time. I expect that I will find a blade, and assortment of 15 came as a gift , that will work best in this razor. I will continue to use it daily and work on my technique. I looking forward to upgrading to a used Gillette by Christmas. ;D

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 09:19:06 AM »
I prefer the antique razors from late 20s-early 30s.  I like the 3 piece design.  Actually I've gotton more cuts from disposable razors than my de.  I've never cut myself with my de and it's like cutting through butter.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
Well, I won a few auctions on ebay in the last few days an now will be amassing a collection of DE razors. I have been disappointed in the Weishi but have 4 1920's - 1930's Gillette 3 piece razors coming in the next week as well as a couple of Gillette TTO's from the 50's. I was able to win these razors for a total of around $11.00 each. I'm really looking forward to getting one of those old razors in my hand.

Here's some shots of them.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »
Well, I won a few auctions on ebay in the last few days an now will be amassing a collection of DE razors. I have been disappointed in the Weishi but have 4 1920's - 1930's Gillette 3 piece razors coming in the next week as well as a couple of Gillette TTO's from the 50's. I was able to win these razors for a total of around $11.00 each. I'm really looking forward to getting one of those old razors in my hand.

Here's some shots of them.

How are these working out for you? I just won a bid on a Gillette Slim Adjustable over the weekend, it is a 1963 model, older than me. :) Should be in the mail box tomorrow or Thursday. I'm going to give it a really good cleaning and try it this Saturday.

I'm looking forward to using it for face shaving only, for now, perhaps I'll try it on the dome after I get the hang of it.
"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~