Author Topic: barbershop headshave  (Read 31577 times)

Offline LibraryMichael

• Sly Jr.
Re: barbershop headshave
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
I would affirm what others have said -- the barber won't get as slick as you do at home, but the experience is worth the price.

bulls_fan

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »
i gotta try it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 08:04:08 AM »
I've had a couple barbershop headshaves. The hot towels, the lather etc are very relaxing and it's nice to be pambered. But I agree that it's not as smooth as when I do it myself with a Mach3. The barbers that I've gone to have use a straight razor, but I've heard some shops will use a mach3. It's exensive too. It cost me $20. Guys that do go and get a nice smooth shave are getting a good deal.

I had a shaved head for a couple years and regrew (don't know why!). I wanted to go back to being sly. So last Friday I made a visit to the barbers to get my sly look back. I figured it would be easier and less messy for the barber to buzz all the hair off and to shave it.  I got to the shop and got into the chair right away...not waiting. I told the barber to just shave it all off. His response was 'all of it too the bone?' He was very matter of fact about it. The barber did a good job, but not so smooth. I did end up going home and reshaving with my mach3. Talking slick now!

marty22

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »
Razorhead: u have  agreat head to shave. KEep it smooth.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 07:54:23 AM »
I now get the barbershop  shave for an african american barber every week, for 5 dollars i get my head shaved with the straight razor and it is the smoothiest shave in town, i have had this done for the past two years

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »
I've only had 1 barber shave and that cost me about $30. I got the how towel & the cream & brush treatment. It was VERY relaxing & VERY smooth! I got mine from a Russian Barber that spoke next to no English. When I went back a few months later, the shop was gone.

There is an Art of shaving cross town from me, but they charge something like $50 for a Mach 3 shave with their brand foam... Not worth it if you ask me

marty22

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »
Been to The Art of Shaving. Not worth it and my head was bleeding for 1 day after the treatment. Ive had a few barbershop headshaves. They are fun and usually run $18 here with a tip.

marty22

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 07:22:56 PM »
Make sure you get an experienced barber or you might get bumps/irritations. And they are not fun to get rid of. Just went thru it and had to go out in the sun to get the itching to stop.

Offline admiralvin

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »
I charge 12 bucks (same as a regular haircut) for a straight razor headshave with hot towels and hot foam.  But it is true the barber is rarely going to get it as close as an experienced self shaver because only you know how much pressure you can apply before the skin gets irritated. 

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 07:05:45 PM »
I charge 12 bucks (same as a regular haircut) for a straight razor headshave with hot towels and hot foam.  But it is true the barber is rarely going to get it as close as an experienced self shaver because only you know how much pressure you can apply before the skin gets irritated. 

Where is your shop, Admiral ?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline admiralvin

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 07:35:50 PM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:39:09 PM by admiralvin »

Offline captain blackleg

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »
I've always wanted to get a good barbershop head and face shave, we just got a new barber's shop in town, I'll have to call them tomorrow and see if they offer it.

Offline Southworth14

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »
If you are in West Palm Beach go to Bills Barber Shop on Summit.  The best razor shave ever for $15. 

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
My Barbershop Headshave
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
I agree with the other guys, a headshave by a barber, though relaxing, is not on par with the headshave I can give myself.  Last week while I was on vacation in San Francisco I made an appointment with Jeff at Joe's Barber Shop for a straight razor headshave.  Jeff is a sly guy himself, so I had high expectations.  He would not shave against the grain the way I do myself, therefore the shave was not very close at all.  I enjoyed the experience, but probably would not do it again.

Red

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:22:56 PM by SimplyRed »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
That's cool, Red.  Too bad he didn't go against the grain... maybe he was worried about cutting you.
Atleast you looked like you had fun! LOL

Enter your email address: