Author Topic: Clipper Recommendations?  (Read 27816 times)

Offline Joe442

• Sly Jr.
Clipper Recommendations?
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either the wahl peanut or the andis outliner in shaving their head.  I purchased the wahl balbing clippers and while they will definitely get the job done, they are kind of bulky to manuever when doing it yourself.  It seems when I visit the barber, she is basically just shaving it down with a trimmer that appears to be the andis model but not sure....haven't asked because I don't want to give away that I'm seeking to do it myself, but I do like the result of being basically bald but with a shadow effect.  Has anyone used either of these two and are their any recommendations?   Thanks!

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
Re: Clipper Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »
Joe:

I haven't used either of the 2 clippers you mention....if you have someone home who could do it for you I would recommed you get yourself a good pair of Oster clippers.....that is what I purchased when I use to keep my head buzzed like you , however, I think they might be too bulky for someone to use on themselves.....I think I purchased mine from Amazon.Com...they do a terrific job and may be a bit pricey....wish I had some more info for you but that's all I got.....Good Luck!

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
i have the andis balding clippers (the box had a black dude on it). They do a great job.  I kinda like the shadow look too but I LOVE the feel of being slick.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:11:57 PM by Hookem »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 06:23:06 AM »
Hey Joe,

Before I started shaving my head I was buzzing with Panasonic ER147.  They are small lightweight clippers made for professionals.  There are some for sale on eBay (new) as Item 200244702526.  ~$100.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

ugabulldog

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:34:24 AM »
Can't comment on the others mentioned but I like the Oster 76 w/ #00000 blades. About $120 on ebay.

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:05:08 AM »
I HAVE BOTH OF THEM AND THEY BOTH WORK VERY WELL.......THE PEANUT IS A BIT CHEAPER THOUGH!

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 08:27:29 AM »
I use an Andis model to trim my beard. It seems it would take a while to do my head when compared to shaving it down, though. It's a fast process to shave, but not so much with clippers, I have found. Don't get a T-Edge model to do your head is my only recommendation. It's more for outlining and the like.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 08:38:41 AM »
Joe:
She might be using an Andis Outliner Trimmer/Edger. I have one and it's great. About $55 at a barber or brauty supply store or online. They clip it darn near a shaved level to the skin. Smaller than a big clipper, but powerful and barber quality. The Oster 76 with the #00000 blade takes it to the wood, too, but is large and costs $120 like UGABulldog mentioned.
Either way, you'll quickly save the costs of going to the barber every 2-3 days to keep it shaved with a bit o' shadow. Good luck! Post up a review once you decide.

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 01:56:56 PM »
Andi's are good  8)

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
I have an Oster T-Finisher.
It corded to it's more powerful then battery trimmer and the T head makes it great for trimming Mustaches and Goatees. They're are comb attachment but you have to puchase them separately, but their cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-AC-T-Finisher-Trimmer-59-01/dp/B00019DTOO

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 12:32:45 AM »
I used a Wahl (I don't know the model number) before I started using the Mach 3.  It worked fairly well. 
Don't pay for a barber to buzz your hair.  Doing it yourself is cheaper, more convenient and fun. 

Just get any decent pair and you should be good to go.  (maybe try a Mach 3 too, the advantage is that you can let it go 3 or 4 days with NO maintenance.)
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
I used to use Wahl Balding Clippers. 

Offline UKnewbie

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 04:49:05 AM »
I use wahl clippers at the moment on the grade 2 setting, 1 from tonight actually, they are bulky but they do the job.

I am going to start using the razor from next year as I have been gradually going down grades to get use to it, thats what I am worrying about, dont want to end up with loads of cuts!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »

I am going to start using the razor from next year as I have been gradually going down grades to get use to it, thats what I am worrying about, dont want to end up with loads of cuts!

You won't if you just take your time, get your scalp sufficiently wet and use a good quality razor and shaving gel.  It's really not difficult. I didn't get any cuts or nicks my first time.

Offline RobbieDigital

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »
I have the Wahl Peanut, and it's great - cheap, and easy to maneuver.  When used with no guard, it goes fairly low, but probably not as low as the balding clippers or the Andis one you mentioned. 

Enter your email address: