Author Topic: Ingrown hairs  (Read 18000 times)

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
Ingrown hairs
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:06:12 AM »
Hi Guys

What products apart from Tendskin & Clearhead would be good for eradicating ingrown hairs?  As these products are not available in Ireland (I think!) I am wondering would a salicyclic acid based product be effective.

Cheers!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Ingrown hairs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:53:24 AM »
Hi Guys

What products apart from Tendskin & Clearhead would be good for eradicating ingrown hairs?  As these products are not available in Ireland (I think!) I am wondering would a salicyclic acid based product be effective.

Cheers!

Salicyclic acid based product could help.  It is in the Clearhead ingredient list at least. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:14:37 AM »
Thanks for info Paul!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:35:28 PM »
Yeah, anything with salicyclic acid should help do the job.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:48:54 PM »
Hi mate,

Yeah if it's definitely in-grown hairs you have an issue with then a good balance hydroxy based product will help loads. I used a miniature bottle of clear head once but felt it made my head feel greasy which over the longer run can cause more problems.

There are two good products that u might look into, both have pretty much the same type of formula but there application's different. 1st  look at Anthony Logistic's In-grown hair treatment, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24483. It's gel based, a tad expensive but as you use these things sporadically it should last a while. The other is Bliss exfoliating pads, http://www.boots.com/brandtreatment/product_details_brand_treatment.jsp?productid=1089651&classificationid=1050623. These are obviously applied using the pads but I use to pinch them from a friend of mine who only ever used and after she waxed and they do seem a really quality product. Me thinks they won't last as long as the gel though.

Other than these, St Ives scrub, over the longer run should gradually help reduce in grown hairs as part of a good regime and is a lot cheaper.   O0

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »
I have started using Nad's Ingrow Solution & hope to see results soon!  Other than that I bought Salatac Gel which is used for warts & callouses.  It contains 12% Salicyclic acid & might burn the scalp right off. I haven't tried it yet though.
Also, I use the St Ives Blemish control scrub twice weekly.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:48:29 AM »
I have started using Nad's Ingrow Solution & hope to see results soon!  Other than that I bought Salatac Gel which is used for warts & callouses.  It contains 12% Salicyclic acid & might burn the scalp right off. I haven't tried it yet though.
Also, I use the St Ives Blemish control scrub twice weekly.

Let us know how that works out for you.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
I am wondering would I be better off using a 1/2 blade or a 4/5 blade for ingrown hair problem.  I currently use a Mach 3 & I realise that the 1/2 blade won't shave as close, but will the 4/5 blade be better for the ingrown hairs by shaving closer or will it make the problem worse.
Cheers guys!

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »
I don't have a problem with ingrown hairs but many men on the wet shaving forums find that fewer blades are better. You might want to try a Sensor, single blades disposable or a DE razor.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »
I don't have a problem with ingrown hairs but many men on the wet shaving forums find that fewer blades are better. You might want to try a Sensor, single blades disposable or a DE razor.

Thanks for info cooncatbob (nice name btw!)

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »
I have switched blades to a Gillette Fusion 5 blade to get a closer shave.  Also, I got Bump-stopper 2 & Tea tree oil anti bump spray (from my good mate Paul O0) for the ingrown hairs.  Yesterday, I applied the tea tree oil after the hot water rinse and prior to shaving foam application.  Mon dieu, the tea-tree oil felt great on my dome - much smoother after the shave.  O:O I applied more tea tree postshave and used the bump-stopper prior to bed. My question is, should I use the 2 products together like the tea tree oil around shaving time and the bump stopper prior to bed or stick with one.

Cheers guys. 8)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:59:24 PM by Irishdeerhunter »

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 03:18:07 AM »
Well, I now know that the 2 products cannot be used on the same day.  I have just gotten a head rash similiar to chicken pox.  >:( Damn my sensitive scalp! :Xo! 
Anyhow, I am sticking with the tea tree oil anti-bump spray for a week to see how it effects the ingrown hairs.  Seeing that I shave my head every second or third day ::) (a sin I know) should I apply it on the days that I don't shave my head & if so how often. The instructions just say to apply pre/post shaving.

Cheers guys!

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »
Hi Guys

I am heading to Florida on saturday O:O & I was wondering are there any products which I should definitely purchase for a better shave?  The resources are limited here in Ireland.:( Also, for those that have had or have ingrown hairs, which products are worth buying.  I currently use the Bump-Stopper-2.

Cheers!

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 03:59:50 PM »
Hi mate,

Yeah if it's definitely in-grown hairs you have an issue with then a good balance hydroxy based product will help loads. I used a miniature bottle of clear head once but felt it made my head feel greasy which over the longer run can cause more problems.

There are two good products that u might look into, both have pretty much the same type of formula but there application's different. 1st  look at Anthony Logistic's In-grown hair treatment, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24483. It's gel based, a tad expensive but as you use these things sporadically it should last a while. The other is Bliss exfoliating pads, http://www.boots.com/brandtreatment/product_details_brand_treatment.jsp?productid=1089651&classificationid=1050623. These are obviously applied using the pads but I use to pinch them from a friend of mine who only ever used and after she waxed and they do seem a really quality product. Me thinks they won't last as long as the gel though.

Other than these, St Ives scrub, over the longer run should gradually help reduce in grown hairs as part of a good regime and is a lot cheaper.   O0

Shaf

Apologies for my slow delay in acknowledgement of your assistance in finding suitable ingrown hair products.  In my effort to find a cure, I overlooked your reply.  Anyway, I am heading to the states soon so I will definitely try to purchase them.

Cheers mate. O0

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 04:23:34 PM »
Easy,

Yeah no worries man, BTW have fab time away!! I frequent Europe and Asia mainly but I'd love the chance to go stateside sometime. I get the feeling your abit of a  product junkie dude. Only say that coz I am or should I say was until I found works for me and sometimes using too much stuff can really be counter productive.

U know alot of the  stuff u want  to look at should still be available to u, on the high street certainly online anyway. Tell u what, try doing something like this say for a week or 2 weeks tops when u get back and I'm sure this should help some. You say u don't shave every day which in this case'll help u abit., You'll probably be doing most of this anyway but

Wash your head every evening with good scalp wash that doesn't contain salicylic acid but can really get the grease/dirt off you skin. Something like  Head & Shoulders  for men or the new Oxy face wash for men which u can get I dunno in Tescos or SuperDrugs.

After drying, apply your salicylic treatment, Anthony Logistics gel, St Ives or whatever. Certainly when your not shaving, your skin heals if its sensitive to putting a razor on it so it's be good to apply something like this.

Just for the first week or so, using a very slick shave gel that caters for sensitive scalps, Bald Guys would be good, shave with the grain only. Again less blades like in an M3, HB or even an Excel still works sweet and is less irritating. Make sure you allow your head to heat up good with lots of hot water prep so all the pores are open.

Don't bother with the salicylic treatment  after shaving just quickly wash, rinse with really cold water or rub a cube and apply your moisturizer if u need it.

I'm convinced this should pretty quickly at the very least stop this up down flare ups your having and if it calms down sufficiently, do against the grain, maybe add a good oil to make it really slippy if u think that'll help and hopefully the salicylic treatment u can whittle down just 2/3 time a week.    O0