Author Topic: Newby looking for advice/suggestions  (Read 2437 times)

Offline AgentMichaelScarn

• Learning the way of Sly
Newby looking for advice/suggestions
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
What's up guys

I'm looking to shave my head ASAP and was hoping to get some feedback from those in-the-know.  I was hoping to stop at my local CVS or Target and pick up any necessary items.  Any advice regarding shaving foam, gel, or oil?  What about post-shave?  Thanks in advance, guys.

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
Re: Newby looking for advice/suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »
you'll get all the advice you need here, welcome dude!  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »
Avoid Target, they don't have much in regards to the products that we recommended.  If you hit CVS, look for HeadSlick from HeadBlade.  If you have a Walmart near bye, you might want to pick up some Shave Secret shaving oil. 

For post shave you'll want some sunscreen.  Look for Bald Guyz or Neutrogena. 

Remember to not apply too much pressure while shaving.  Let the blade to the work.  Oh, and don't use a cheapo razor.  Use a Mach3, Fusion, or HeadBlade.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:34:52 PM »
Try any of the Headblade products.  What razor are you thinking about using ?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline AgentMichaelScarn

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Tyler.

I was thinking of going with the Fusion.  I've heard nothing but good things, plus I already have the blade.  All I need to do is get refills.  You have any idea how often I would need to switch blades?  Thanks.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »

I'm looking to shave my head ASAP

I love it !!!

Welcome to SBG, AMS

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »
Welcome aboard.  The other bros have already given you some good info. Only thng I could add would be a good cold water rinse after shaving and before applying Aloe Vera or ClearHead.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:55:11 PM »
 I have been noggin slick since 1986, except for about 1 year with my left arm in a sling and cast (yes I'm left handed) So my head is kind of use to the shaving regime.  I take a very hot shower, and soak a towel in said water and put on the noggin'.  I then lather up with shavin cream and go to town with just a 2 bladed cheap disposable razor. I can't afford anything else (Got 2 step kids, both teenagers, both girls nuff said) I then just put any cheap kind of after shave lotion on thats avail....I do this everyday.... You might want to start off every other day till you get use to it unless you have a tough head...
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline FClef

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Who are they? Why are they eating my brain?
    • My Band
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »
What's up guys

I'm looking to shave my head ASAP and was hoping to get some feedback from those in-the-know.  I was hoping to stop at my local CVS or Target and pick up any necessary items.  Any advice regarding shaving foam, gel, or oil?  What about post-shave?  Thanks in advance, guys.

I am new to this whole process too and I can tell you that no one knows what is best for you specifically. What I have done is resolved myself to the fact that it is going to be a hit and miss process until I find the right routine for my personal needs. I have also, sadly, resolved that it is going to cost me money in trying products until I find ones that work the best for me.

Listen to the advice these guys give you. They have the experience behind them. Remember what they offer is advice based on what works for them. It may not work so well with you. For instance one guy on here uses rubbing alcohol after shaving. I thought I would try that. After I got up off the floor from screaming and clutching my head and wishing that someone would shove bamboo strips under my fingernails to relieve the pain I was in, I came to the conclusion that the alcohol rub down after shave care was not for me. I know it is going to take time and I know I have to be patient... that is the very best advice I can give you.
"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid"
Dean Koontz - Seize The Night