Author Topic: Started my new weight loss program  (Read 5266 times)

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
Started my new weight loss program
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »
Well visiting the doctor on friday, naturally got weighed in my the nurse... the one that rubbed my head after she asked if she could. 

Well my weigh in was 225.5 and this really hit me as I had done so well dropping down to 195 just short of my goal of 190.  I had slipped because the wife being a bit heavier than me started to complain about my loss and not hers so... I like a dummy I started eating the wrong stuff again.

I decided that after that visit I would start once again with the battle of weight loss.

I will edit this post each and every morning to show my progress.

Aug 2 - Saturday morn, I weighed in at 224.0
Aug 3 - Sunday morn, I weighed in at 221.5
Aug 4 - Monday morn, I weighed in at 220.5
Aug 5 - Tuesday morn, I weighed in at 220.0
Aug 6 - Weds morn, I weighed in at 218.5
Aug 7 - Thurs morn, I weighed in at 219.5
Aug 8 - Friday morn, I weighed in at 219.0

So far I am happy with what is going on, and have started with excersize again.  I may follow some diets that I have seen here, but so far for meats I have been using fish and poultry, fruites and vegies.

My goal this time again is 190
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:28:34 AM by J_B »

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
Re: Started my new weight loss program
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »
Keep up the good work.

What sort of diet and exercise plan are you following? Next week you will probably stabilize at a loss rate of 1-2 pounds per week. Some fo the big losses this week are from glycogen depletion et cetera.

I had the opposite situation than you. I started losing my weight right after my wife got pregnant with our second child, so I was losing it the entire time she was gaining it. It really gave her motivation to slim down after the baby was born.

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:32:50 AM »
Keep up the good work.

What sort of diet and exercise plan are you following? Next week you will probably stabilize at a loss rate of 1-2 pounds per week. Some fo the big losses this week are from glycogen depletion et cetera.

I had the opposite situation than you. I started losing my weight right after my wife got pregnant with our second child, so I was losing it the entire time she was gaining it. It really gave her motivation to slim down after the baby was born.

I just have to figure out a way to burn more calories off because it looks like I sorta stablized like you said.  My diet plan is pretty much a large ruby red grapefriut in the morn with 1 slice of toast.  Then I usually end up going all the way to dinner without eating.  I'm really not hungry and that is why I forget to eat.  If I feel like I gotta have something I grab a banana or other fruit.  At dinner I try and do a salade with fish.

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
Keep up the good work.

I just have to figure out a way to burn more calories off because it looks like I sorta stablized like you said.  My diet plan is pretty much a large ruby red grapefriut in the morn with 1 slice of toast.  Then I usually end up going all the way to dinner without eating.  I'm really not hungry and that is why I forget to eat.  If I feel like I gotta have something I grab a banana or other fruit.  At dinner I try and do a salade with fish.

Thats not good!!! Your metabolism is really slow and thats why it is hard for you to lose weight.  You should be eating small meals, every 3-4 hours... like 5-6 meals a day.

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »
Keep up the good work.

Your diet is not good. Keep a log of what you eat. I'd have 5-6 meals of 300 or so calories, one every few hours. My guess is that you put on the weight by eating when you weren't hungry, so it should be no problem for you to keep that up. Starving yourself is a bad way to do it.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »
J_B, you should try to have equal portions of protein and carbs at each meal.  The protein will help prevent loss of muscle mass and will keep you feeling fuller, while slowing down the digestion of the carbs, which burn off way too quickly when eaten on their own.  And don't go so long between meals. It sounds like you may be eating too little, which will slow down  your weight loss and sabotage your efforts. 

Egg whites are a good, fat-free, cholesterol-free source of protein.  Eating 5-6 egg whites is the equivalent, calorically of 2 whole eggs, without the cholesterol in the yolks.  That, along with a slice or two of whole-grain toast, would be a more balanced breakfast for you.

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »
J_B, you should try to have equal portions of protein and carbs at each meal.  The protein will help prevent loss of muscle mass and will keep you feeling fuller, while slowing down the digestion of the carbs, which burn off way too quickly when eaten on their own.  And don't go so long between meals. It sounds like you may be eating too little, which will slow down  your weight loss and sabotage your efforts. 

Egg whites are a good, fat-free, cholesterol-free source of protein.  Eating 5-6 egg whites is the equivalent, calorically of 2 whole eggs, without the cholesterol in the yolks.  That, along with a slice or two of whole-grain toast, would be a more balanced breakfast for you.
There's nothing wrong with eating whole eggs. I eat 4-6 a day for breakfast and don't give it a second thought. Ingesting cholesterol has minimal effect on blood cholesterol levels. The body will simply produce less cholesterol if dietary cholesterol increases. The chemical structure of the carbohydrate in question is what controls its absorption rate, not what macronutrients you eat it with.

Commercial whole grain bread will have similar effect on blood sugar levels and insulin as any other commercial bread. I would recommend steel-cut oats. If he must have bread, Ezekiel bread is a good way to go. Bread should not be in the vocabulary of someone trying to lose fat IMO.

I do agree that he is eating too little. I favor carbohydrate cycling for fat loss.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »

There's nothing wrong with eating whole eggs. I eat 4-6 a day for breakfast and don't give it a second thought. Ingesting cholesterol has minimal effect on blood cholesterol levels. The body will simply produce less cholesterol if dietary cholesterol increases. The chemical structure of the carbohydrate in question is what controls its absorption rate, not what macronutrients you eat it with.

I know plenty of people whose cholesterol levels skyrocketed when they went on the Atkins diet.  Everyone is different.  Some people can lower their cholesterol levels by eating less cholesterol; others need to be on medication to keep it under control.  Likewise, some people will raise their cholesterol levels if they ingest too much.

Cholesterol or no cholesterol, I could never eat six whole eggs in one sitting. IMO, it's better to eat fewer eggs and make up the rest of the calorie with a complex carb, which makes for a more balanced meal.

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

I know plenty of people whose cholesterol levels skyrocketed when they went on the Atkins diet.  Everyone is different.  Some people can lower their cholesterol levels by eating less cholesterol; others need to be on medication to keep it under control.  Likewise, some people will raise their cholesterol levels if they ingest too much.

Cholesterol or no cholesterol, I could never eat six whole eggs in one sitting. IMO, it's better to eat fewer eggs and make up the rest of the calorie with a complex carb, which makes for a more balanced meal.
Why do you know so many dieters? Is the idea to look slimmer by hanging out with fat people?

As I said, dietary cholesterol has minimal effect on blood cholesterol levels. Eating less cholesterol is therefore likely not to lower blood cholesterol. Blood cholesterol is primary a function of the body's production, which is why some people require medication.

Do you agree that a hamburger is a good choice because the patty will slow down the digestion of the bun? Add lettuce and tomato and it's a "balanced meal"! Eating half a dozen eggs for breakfast is an awesome way to go IMO.  O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:22:35 PM »

Why do you know so many dieters? Is the idea to look slimmer by hanging out with fat people?

I think most people know quite a few people who are trying to shed a few pounds.  It's got nothing to do with wanting to look slimmer by comparison.  Such a thought would never occur to me.  I don't choose my friends based upon what they look like.

As I said, dietary cholesterol has minimal effect on blood cholesterol levels. Eating less cholesterol is therefore likely not to lower blood cholesterol. Blood cholesterol is primary a function of the body's production, which is why some people require medication.

Oh yes, you did say, didn't you?  That makes it an indisputable fact.  Silly me.  I forgot.   :/O  Please accept my most humble and sincere apologies.   $c#m

Do you agree that a hamburger is a good choice because the patty will slow down the digestion of the bun? Add lettuce and tomato and it's a "balanced meal"!

No, I wouldn't eat a hamburger for the sole purpose of slowing down digestion of the bun.  But I would eat a burger of lean beef or turkey as a source of protein.  I wouldn't do it every day, but there's nothing inherently wrong with a lean burger on a whole grain bun with a little lettuce and tomato.  And yes, it would be more balanced than scarfing down a half dozen eggs.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: Started my new weight loss program
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »
That was a fun little read, that guy sounded like a right ass.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
Good luck with your diet, J_B. I agree with dog20's comment about smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. I've heard that helps your body metabolize the food and burn more of it off rather than storing it as fat. Another thing that helps me, besides watching what I eat, is increasing my intake of the vitamin b complex to increase metabolism.
Hair is over rated.

Offline justtom

• ~BALD BY CHOICE~
  • Sly
  • "THE MORE HAIR I SHAVE THE MORE HEAD I GET"
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 07:41:35 AM »
That was a interesting read indeed :*)),I was tipping the scale at 286 lbs back in January it did not look like it on my 6'1 frame but boy when the shirt came off it was ugly not to mention the way I felt,no energy,loss of interest in everything,struggling to tie my shoes,tired from climbing the steps,stopped hiking which is something I love doing.But I truly new I had to do something about it when I could not fit on any of the rides at the amusement park with my youngest Daughter when we went away. she was so upset and disappointed.That is when I went Vegetarian and watched the weight just fall off it was amazing 5lbs a week till I hit 255lbs then it just stopped and that s where I am at now bouncing between 255-260 and just cant seem to lose any more.I want to get down to around 200-210lbs.Good luck on reaching your goal.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »
Keep up the good work.

See www.SparkPeople.com

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »
From my experience, while making sure you eat a balanced meal, is good for your health. All that talk about protein vs carbs etc. The only way to lose weight is to manage your calories in vs calories out, or something similar. I personally don't calorie count, but go more by my energy levels, I make sure that I eat just enough throughout the day to make sure that I can perform at my peak at work, and still have some in the tank to go to the gym each night. If I find I am getting tired on a regular basis I just eat a bit more during the day and I am good.

If you start plateauing with your weight, just change it up a bit, I normally use that as a sign to start pushing my cardio harder at the gym, or maybe it is time to take a look at what you are eating again... there is quite a few times over the past 8-9 months where I have slipped a bit and started eating more junk food then normal, and once I realised that I was able to cut it out and get back on track.

Just remember though, you don't have to stop eating the foods you love, you just have to remember to eat them in moderation or change the way you cook them! For example, I still have fast food about once a week, but I just make sure I don't buy  large meal, even a medium meal I can't eat some days! (Handy hint I learned, and this is a hard one for me because of the way I was raised, if you are starting to feel full, STOP EATING! You don't have to eat everything on your plate, and if you over eat you are just going to push yourself back a step) At home we still have things like fish and chips every now and again, now instead of buying them cooked from the shop,  we it cook ourselves in the oven instead of the fryer (I personally think they taste so much better this way!).

What you eat, how you eat, when you eat, is a large part of weight loss, but you always have to remember to exercise daily, for at least an 45 minutes in total every day, I go to the gym 6 nights (3 weight sessions, 3 cardio sessions) a week with 3-4 of my mates and we spend 1.5-2 hours there. Which is probably help lose my weight quicker then a lot of people.

At the end of the day though, it is all about finding what works best for you, to give you the results that you want. For me, what I do works well, I am always looks for little tricks and tips or different ways to tighten up the way I do things, but on a whole I am really happy with what I have and continue to achieve.

This is turning into a bit of a long post, I hope it is coherent enough... I tend to babble a bit... but I will end it with this great saying:

You only get out what you put in! (it is so true)