Author Topic: Electric Roadster - 0 to 60 in 4 seconds!  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Electric Roadster - 0 to 60 in 4 seconds!
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:40:45 PM »
This banner says it all!  I did some more research and found that this company, Tesla Motors, which is based in the Silicon Valley (San Carlos to be exact) got $40 million in funding from the founders of Google!  We are on the verge of seeing some cool electric vehicles!

You can learn more by going to http://www.teslamotors.com

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:42:20 PM by Tyler »

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Electric Roadster - 0 to 60 in 4 seconds!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:34:54 PM »
Wow, an electric car worth owning. What a freakin concept. Someone finally realized that not everyone will buy an elcetric or hybrid, just because it's good for the environment or whatever. I want a cool f**king car electric or not. Give me a reason to buy that overpriced chunk of metal/plastic/fiberglass.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 03:55:06 PM by HueroPelon »
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:10:58 PM »

I am very excited about that new car and hope the cost isn't half of the awesomeness of the specs. A great find, thx for sharing! 
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:55:10 PM »
Yeti, I hate to break the news to you, but the cost of the car is around $100,000.  Though, I have to say that it's not really that bad of a price for that type of car if you consider the specs versus the cost of operating the car.  Only $.01 a mile isn't bad for a car that goes that fast.  Plus, you get to drive in the car pool (HOV) lane!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 01:34:02 AM »
hehehe  $100k actually not bad for what I have read! Too bad it's not Stainless with the exact specs lol   thx bro...
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline Baldego

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »
They all seem hot dream machines!! So I guess it's my turn hmmmmm oh hell yeah  1958 Chevy Impala... sweet!

Offline BaldRiley

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:27:24 AM »
One thing you have to consider about this car is that it is meant as an alternative to a VERY nice sports car.  I think that the price is just perfect for what type of performance you get out of the car, and also how much money you will save in gas.  I saw it a bit ago in Wired Magazine.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »
This is one of the first posts and I never thought that I would actually get to sit in one of these bad boys, but I was able to!

Turns out that one of my friends and fraternity brothers works at Tesla Motors.  A couple weeks ago we got back in touch and he gave me a tour of their facilities here in the Bay Area.  This car is fricken sweet!  I can't even describe how cool this car is. 

The interior is pretty simple - two seats, steering wheel, a gear box (1st, 2nd and reverse), dials for the A/C and heat, speedometer, tachometer, stereo, and optional navigational package.  The motor for this car is about the size of a large watermelon - seriously!  The battery is about the size of a fence post that had about 18 inches cut off of it. 

The car can go to 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds when starting off in 1st gear and 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds when starting out in second.

Did I get to drive it?  Nope!  Only a few of the 600 people that purchased them at $100,000 and wrote a check already get to drive one.  But, my buddy is the guy responsible for taking these chosen people for a ride and tells me it's absolutely awesome!

Why don't you see them on the road?  Well, they just announced last night that they will be shipping the first 50 1st quarter next year and the remaining 550 by the end of the year.

Want one?  Just go to their website and put down $30,000 if you don't mind waiting a long time, or skip up the line a bit by paying $50,000.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »
OH Hell, thats pocket change....give me 8 of em

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 07:16:02 AM »
That's weird...I was looking at Yeti's response of September 25th and thought, "Alright, Yeti's back!!!"  Then I saw the "2006"..... that was exactly a YEAR ago.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 07:32:35 AM »
While getting the low costs involved with maintaining the cars and the zero carbon emissions is attractive and interesting. Plus the technology and the minds that created it are worthy of praise.

However $100,000 for a car? You've gotta be kidding me. That could buy an entire furnished home on land in some places. Not many people in America or the world for that matter have that kind of disposable income.

I am saving all the money I earn in the hope that in 30 years, the world will bear witness to the tele-portation machine.

Now that I will gladly shell out for.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
OK Im gonna say this...because I can...and its me...so what more do you expect...
when I first seen this topic......LOL....ok here it comes ..i can feel it now.....I thougth this topic read...ELECTRIC TOASTER!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 03:14:51 PM »
While getting the low costs involved with maintaining the cars and the zero carbon emissions is attractive and interesting. Plus the technology and the minds that created it are worthy of praise.

However $100,000 for a car? You've gotta be kidding me. That could buy an entire furnished home on land in some places. Not many people in America or the world for that matter have that kind of disposable income.

I am saving all the money I earn in the hope that in 30 years, the world will bear witness to the tele-portation machine.

Now that I will gladly shell out for.

Yeah, they don't really intend to sell to the average person.  In fact, the first 100 buyers of the car had a net worth over 1 billion dollars.  They are going after the group of people that would buy a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini, etc.