Author Topic: Water Intoxication  (Read 7920 times)

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Water Intoxication
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
I'm sure some of us have already seen this story.

A 28-year-old mother of three died from water intoxication after taking part in a water-drinking contest for KDND (The End)/Sacramento on Friday. The contest, Hold Your Wee for a Wii, involved drinking as much water as you could without going to the bathroom...

Another contestant, Gina Sherrod, said that a nurse was on the air warning that drinking too much water is dangerous. Sherrod told The Bee that a deejay rebuffed the nurse and that the contestants signed waivers that addressed only publicity issues and made no mention of health or safety concerns.

for the full article
http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=333969

Out of curiosity, I was wondering about others opinions and knowledge of the dangers of over drinking water and holding back urination.

It’s pretty clear now that it’s not good for the body.  I am not meaning to insult anybody, but I would consider this type of thing common sense.  Am I alone?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:19:07 PM by ar3inc »

"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Water Intoxication
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »
I don't think this radio station checked with a doctor first to see if contestants could be harmed by doing this. 

My buddy had a problem for a while after holding it too long.  The doctor the next day told him that holding it could cause serious urinary and bladder problems.  And, if you drink too much and don't release it, you could shut down organs and possibly cause the brain to swell.

There was also a kid in Chico, CA that died from this a couple of years ago during a pledging event.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 01:35:07 PM »
Yeah I agree the radio station is being risky running the event.

I don't care if the local radio station offers 5k diamond earnings in the infamous little blue bag, I am not going eat rotten food and get food poisoning to win them if that is what they require.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
I find it amazing that a person can physically fit enough liquid in his/her stomach to cause this type of toxicity.  It seems to me that after a certain amount is ingested, you just can't take in any more or it will all come back up.  I've often wondered the same thing whenever there's a death due to binge drinking.

There is going to be quite a lawsuit about this, I am sure.

BTW, I heard on TV about another contest for a Wii or Playstation where the contestant who was willing to leave behind the youngest child for a couple of hours with an inexperienced babysitter, won the prize.  Somebody left a 2-week-old infant.  Sounds pretty sick to me.  I don't know if any criminal charges were filed, but they certainly should be against both the radio station and the contestants who participated.

BaldRob

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:57:33 PM »
And this is all to win a video game that you'll be able to buy off the shelf in a month or so!   >:(

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:06:20 AM »
I heard a clip of the radio program

A nurse called in and told them that what they were doing was dangerous....that people could DIE from water toxicity.

The DJ said, "Yeah, well they signed a release so we're not responsible."

Why don't they just have a contest where several contestants stand up in a room where the oxygen is slowly sucked out.   The last person to resist passing out, i.e. the last person standing wins a large popcorn from AMC Theaters. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:18:22 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »

A nurse called in and told them that what they were doing was dangerous....that people could DIE from water toxicity.

Why don't they just have a contest where several contestants stand up in a room where the oxygen is slowly sucked out.   The last person to resist passing out, i.e. the last person standing wins a large popcorn from AMC Theaters. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

LOL  They'd kill themselves to have something that would kill them!

This is the stats on a large popcorn from AMC Theaters

664 cal/31 g fat/9 g fiber/75 g carbs
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:00:53 AM »

Why don't they just have a contest where several contestants stand up in a room where the oxygen is slowly sucked out.   The last person to resist passing out, i.e. the last person standing wins a large popcorn from AMC Theaters. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Yeah... but it tastes soooooooo good!!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
Why don't they just have a contest where several contestants stand up in a room where the oxygen is slowly sucked out.   The last person to resist passing out, i.e. the last person standing wins a large popcorn from AMC Theaters. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Now you're talking the fun stuff.  That is just pure bragging rights. ;D

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 04:18:20 PM »

Yeah... but it tastes soooooooo good!!

I know!!  That's why I'll only get a small now.  But, I don't get one everytime since learning it's nutritional value - or lack of.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 04:32:26 PM »
 :( :( The bit about the contestant who drank herself to death on water is not funny. The wretched woman was so desperate for 15 minutes of fame and glory that she violated not only common sense but the reactions of her body. Get a grip, America! Natural things--such as baldness--are defensible, hair-brained stunts are not. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

spaceape48

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 06:32:33 PM »
I find it amazing that a person can physically fit enough liquid in his/her stomach to cause this type of toxicity.  It seems to me that after a certain amount is ingested, you just can't take in any more or it will all come back up.  I've often wondered the same thing whenever there's a death due to binge drinking.

The stomach only holds liquids for a short amount of time. From there it's sent into the small intestines to be absorbed. Too much water causes cells in the body to swell, eventually causing the brain to swell. The pressure is what will usually do someone in, if not the shutting down of the organs.

And all that for a gaming system!?! What happened to people having brains and caring about one another? People are too materialistic.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:11:21 PM »
:( :( The bit about the contestant who drank herself to death on water is not funny. The wretched woman was so desperate for 15 minutes of fame and glory that she violated not only common sense but the reactions of her body. Get a grip, America! Natural things--such as baldness--are defensible, hair-brained stunts are not. Professor Melon

Here....Here

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »

The stomach only holds liquids for a short amount of time. From there it's sent into the small intestines to be absorbed. Too much water causes cells in the body to swell, eventually causing the brain to swell. The pressure is what will usually do someone in, if not the shutting down of the organs.

And all that for a gaming system!?! What happened to people having brains and caring about one another? People are too materialistic.

As Professor alluded to above....it's America's sick voyeurism that helps foster stuff like that.....look at movies like "Jackass" or whatever those are that have those pellet heads doing ridiculous stunts.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 08:21:57 PM »
The stupidity of some people for a few moments  of fame. 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: