Author Topic: Losing weight and having fun doing it.  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Kojack

• Sly
Losing weight and having fun doing it.
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »
About 5 weeks ago we decided to start a new routine. We are going to PCB in August and both my girlfriend and I felt we were out of shape. Basically what we started doing was walking 5-6 times a week. Some days we walk 2 miles, the most we ever walked was 6 miles. Usually we walk 3 or 4 miles. Every now and again we jog for a bit. Usually no more than 1/8 of a mile. Some times we just talk, most of the times we wear our headsets. She listens to audio books, I listen to whatever. Usually fast songs like Rob Zombie, Megadeth, The theme song from Mortal Kombat or the movie 300 etc.....

I recently started doing 10 push-ups every 1/2 mile. Today we walked 3 miles and I did 60 push-up. This is a great way to lose weight. We get out of the house (I work 3rd shift and I work from home so getting outside is a good thing) we spend a bit of time together, and it usually only takes us 45min to and hour and half depending on how far we decided to go.
In addition to this we have changed our eating habits. We try to eat low calorie food. We always buy the Lite version of things and read the nutritional content. A typical breakfast includes fat-free vanilla yogurt, with fresh blueberries and granola. Good stuff. For dinner we eat lots of stir fry's. We use 1 chicken breast and lots of vegi's. It tastes great and it doesn't have a lot of calories since it's mostly vegi's. We also eat thing like chili dogs! We buy the lite buns, the turkey hot dogs and some fat-free chili bean sauce that has like 10 calories a serving but is suprisingly great tasting. Throw on some mustard and onions and you have a meal. Man it's great and you can eat like 3 fat chili dogs and only consume 300 calories!! Good deal.

So far the results have been awesome. I don't have a scale, but already when I look in the mirror, I don't shake my head at the pot belly and think I need to lose weight. All I think is, man I look like I've lost more weight and how well this is working out. I have more energy and don't groan just getting up from a chair. I feel we still have a ways to go but we still have a few weeks to go before we leave for the beach and I think this year I won't have to worry about wearing hawiian shirts everywhere to hide the man-boobs! LOL

Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Losing weight and having fun doing it.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:27:19 PM »
Way ta go, Kojak !!!

Thanks for sharing !

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »
Try alternating between running and walking for your workout.  That way your heart rate stays up even when you're walking.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
Yes... Way to go.  Keep us posted on your progress.  I need the extra motivation.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Yes... Way to go.  Keep us posted on your progress.  I need the extra motivation.

Yes!!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:35 AM »
Try alternating between running and walking for your workout.  That way your heart rate stays up even when you're walking.

Sounds like Kojak's got a good thing goin' ..... no need to fix what ain't broken.

Pshrynk

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »
Hey Kojak,

Exercise and eating healthy?  -- that'll never ever work  :/O

You'd have much better luck finding some California fad diet or some special "program" from some has-been football player or actress  :D

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:48:23 PM »
The trick is to eat healthy by watching the calories but not eating skimpy. Load up things with extras that bulk up the food without adding a bunch of calories. Fill your plate, so when you look at it, it looks filling and you're satified when your done eating. Most of that diet stuff (lean cusine or whatever) is like an appetizer.

Like eat a burger, but make the meat paddy pretty small. Eat it on lite buns and load up on the extra's like lettuce ,tomato, onion and pickles. Pile them on. Squirt on some mustard. You wind up with a huge burger that doesn't have a lot of calories.  E

Grab a couple pitas and stuff it with some turkey and a BUNCH of vegi's till it's overflowing and top it with a vinegar and spices. Throw 3 or 4 big dill pickles on there (they have almost no calories) for a side eat those lite pringles or whatever.

Stir fry is the best though, you can make a heaping pile of that stuff and it tastes great.
I've heard there are studies where people lose weight the quickest by keeping a journal and writing down everything they eat. Not even figuring out the calories, just a log. Not sure why, I guess because you have a reminder that you have to watch it.

BTW dog20, yeah we do usually jog a bit as well. Usually only around 1/8th of a mile at a time, sometimes 2 or 3 times a walk right now.

Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.