Author Topic: Wifey Poo is Curious  (Read 30885 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Wifey Poo is Curious
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:33:57 AM »
Alright, gang....

I know this subject has been touched on to some degree in other threads....and I can name two of you off the top of my head who this applies to (David and Chadoweasle).

But my wife specifically asked me to pose the question again to the gang.

"How many of you are staying slick even though you still have pretty good or good coverage if you decided to grow it out?"

What initially confused my wife and is now confusiing certain folks is....why would someone go totally bald while they still have good coverage.

So....

Question #1:  "How many of you are staying slick even though you still have good coverage (i.e. no MPB)?"

Question #2:  "Why would someone go totally bald while they still have good coverage.?"
-----------------------
Post up, mates....I gave her my thoughts, but she wants to hear from THE PROFESSIONALS!

BTW...my shaving this weekend is not predicated on anything here...she's just curious.

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
Re: Wifey Poo is Curious
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
My reasons:

I like the look, even as a child I liked the look.  I never thought I looked right with hair.  Kinda weird.  I wish I would have shaved way back in the day (at least in high school).  Of course I'm sure that my mom wouldn't have let me or liked it.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 08:44:14 AM »
My reasons:

I like the look, even as a child I liked the look.  I never thought I looked right with hair.  Kinda weird.  I wish I would have shaved way back in the day (at least in high school).  Of course I'm sure that my mom wouldn't have let me or liked it.

Thanks, Medic....so if you chose to, you could grow it back with good coverage?

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »
Alright, gang....

I know this subject has been touched on to some degree in other threads....and I can name two of you off the top of my head who this applies to (David and Chadoweasle).

But my wife specifically asked me to pose the question again to the gang.

"How many of you are staying slick even though you still have pretty good or good coverage if you decided to grow it out?"

What initially confused my wife and is now confusiing certain folks is....why would someone go totally bald while they still have good coverage.

So....

Question #1:  "How many of you are staying slick even though you still have good coverage (i.e. no MPB)?"

Question #2:  "Why would someone go totally bald while they still have good coverage.?"
-----------------------
Post up, mates....I gave her my thoughts, but she wants to hear from THE PROFESSIONALS!

BTW...my shaving this weekend is not predicated on anything here...she's just curious.

Question 1:   It's slick all right.   The most you feel is the tiniest bit of stubble and consider if you let her shave it for you eventually, she will more able than you to see missed spots/go over them properly.   Also you can't see it unless you yourself look in the mirror real close.

Question 2:  The biggest reason I can give is easiness.   Now somebody may say you spend more time now shaving your head, than you did messing with your hair, which is true.   But what I mean by easiness is that is all BY CHOICE.   If I wanted, I could get up and go and nobody would know the difference/care.   And that will come in handy when I get my first full time teaching job trust me.    I shave my head daily because it's something I like to do.    Not because I have to.

However, the other big reason is feel your head after you've shaved.    When you run your hands over it and notice how smooth it is, you'll never want to give it up.     There's also stuff like no bed head/hat head, the fact it makes me look more mature/professional/put together....

Are there times I look in a mirror and nitpick it too much, sure....    But to me that just proves two things:

1) I now care about my appearance, which with hair I didn't.   A good thing..

2)  We are harder on ourselves than others will be.. I can notice the difference in this lighting compared to that lighting kinda stuff, but nobody else would.     It's like the shadow, this downstairs mirror in my parents house shows it a lot more prominently than any other....  But i've gotten used to it, etc..   I'm not going to let something that trivial deter my happiness.    Plus again if I didn't like it, why would I look in a mirror in the first place.

The other thing I like is it puts the focus on my dominant blue-green eyes and my smile...   Keep in mind I never have been good at smiling(I think about it too much).    Since shaving my head, it's really easy to smile, it just comes naturally...  It just shines right through...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:09:07 AM by David »
bald for life

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 09:47:38 AM »
Also a good analogy is when the wife or any women goes and dyes their hair or makes a drastic length change.    It's our version of that....
bald for life

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:09:52 AM »
We are harder on ourselves than others will be..

Good point.  For service tonight, I took it down another notch on the clipper guard.  My wife and I notice a pretty decent difference....but the folks at church simply know that I've been buzzing my hair.  They're not gonna go, "wait a minute...whatter you doin?....your buzz is a milimeter or two shorter than last week."

Also a good analogy is when the wife or any women goes and dyes their hair or makes a drastic length change.    It's our version of that....

Another good point....I brought this up to wifey-poo
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:15:22 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »

[/quote]

Thanks, Medic....so if you chose to, you could grow it back with good coverage?
[/quote]

Well, not so much anymore.  I have a pretty good widow's peak going nowadays, but when I started buzzing with no guard on the clippers back in 1994, I had a full head of hair.

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 05:02:14 PM »

#1) I am shaving clean 4 - 5 times a week. When I let it grow out I can still have a full mane of red/blonde curly hair. No sign of hair loss or thinning.

#2) For a few reasons. It looks good, it’s easy to maintain, it’s clean and it’s cost effective.

While those are all good solid reasons to shave your head, they aren’t my biggest reason for shaving my head. I shave my head for the same reason that other people wear their hair short, or long, or a certain color. I shave my head, because I want to.

Thinking of head shaving only as an alternative to a receding hairline or bald spot is simply looking at the action and choice of it from the wrong angle.

Asking why you’d shave your head when you don’t “need” to is like asking why someone would wear their hair short, when they COULD grow it long. Or why they wear it their natural color when they COULD have it any other color they like. It’s like asking why you wear a certain style of clothing, when you COULD wear a number of others, why you choose a hamburger when you COULD have tacos. It’s a choice, an option a preference. 

The most important reason you should ever change your appearance is because you want to and because you can. No “better” reason is required or exists.

~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:15:06 PM »
Asking why you’d shave your head when you don’t “need” to is like asking why someone would wear their hair short, when they COULD grow it long. Or why they wear it their natural color when they COULD have it any other color they like. It’s like asking why you wear a certain style of clothing, when you COULD wear a number of others, why you choose a hamburger when you COULD have tacos. It’s a choice, an option a preference. 

BRILLIANT!!!

Thanks Vash

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »
I agree with everything that Vash said. I look at it as an alternative. I could have full head of hair. I first started shaving when my son was undergoing chemo. Wife thought I would grow it back after he went into remission. Not so much
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »
...after he went into remission.

Thank God for this!......really.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »

I do everyday
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »

I do everyday

He's in my prayers.   (Edit: i'm not trying to come off as a jerk)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:12:41 AM by David »
bald for life

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »
I have no MPB, and very full thick head of hair if i chose to grow it, in 2 days i have to buzz it with clippers prior to the blade otherwise the hair is too wrong. 

I go slick because

It's a lifestyle not a hair style
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
Rob, the noggin looks (as the Guinness guys say) BRILLIANT !!!

Congrats.

Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Enter your email address: