Author Topic: THINKING about switching my home phone service...  (Read 1919 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
THINKING about switching my home phone service...
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:45:28 AM »
hello fellow chrome domes:  i'm thinking about changing my home phone service & wanted your inputs on your current home phone service or future plans.  anyways... our home phone is serviced thru AT&t (which bought out bellsouth).  anyways... i have no problems except with the monthly charges.  i've noticed other phone services R cheaper.  we have call waiting, caller id, call forwarding, and it costs around $70 something dollars. >:(

so... just wanted 2 hear your thoughts on this subject.  anyone here have any input on vonage, or digital phone service,  i just saw an advertisement on t-mobile providing home phone service, or any type of home phone service besides at&t.  so... what's your story?

WARHAWK O0

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: THINKING about switching my home phone service...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:51:21 AM »
lol, I've been thinking of canceling my home phone lately.  I have my cell with a great plan and I get any 10 numbers in Canada, cell or land line free everything and so I have my families numbers back in Ottawa listed so I never pay long distance anymore.

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:06:47 AM »
I'd avoid Vonage. Everyone I know who tried it was unhappy with it.

Check out this page http://www.sl-prokeys.com/vonage/vonage.htm

Many cable companies now offer broadband telephony as well as internet service all bundled in with the cable. Some are good, others less so.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:51:40 AM »
I am just staying with AT&T.  We only pay about 60 a month and that includes internet DSL as well.  I have free long distance, call waiting, Caller ID, threeway ( Oh that sounds so good right now..ahhummm...excuse me..)  Never had any problems with them and i have never switched since we got it back in 1990. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
We considered moving to the cable phone deal before Katrina, but after the way Cox Cable treated us after the storm, never.  We had cable operating when we moved back in our house in early October, we live in the "Sliver by the River" so no flooding and no other real damage to speak of.  About a week later, Cox came by and disconnected all cable hookups, no explanation, it wasn't because they hadn't been paid, it wasn't because of problems w/ the service, they just arrogantly cut everyone off, and said they were working to restore service!  My A** :x! :x! :x! :x!, it was over two months until they returned service and we wouldn't have had telephones during that time.  Although ATT/Bell South is creaky and costs more, I'm not doing the cable deal--in New Orleans at least they're not reliable.  Ultimately, last Christmas, we moved to satillite w/ DishTV--and we're loving it--gaining a lot of weight, failing to get a lot done, but loving all the movies, etc.  I can't decide whether to take up the ATT internet deal coupled w/ the telephone, but it is interesting, but so is the DishTV option.  I don't know anyone who has broadband on satillite to to dilscuss it w/ though.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:53:32 PM »
I don't have a land line phone and have no need for one I just use my cell. With an unlimited plan there's no need.

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
I don't have home phone service at all.  I have a cell phone and a Verizon AirCard for the internet.

Works well for us.

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »
I say you should go with Verizon  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
I have digital phone service through Time Warner Cable.  I've never had any problems and its only about $35/month as part of our cable/phone/internet package.  I'd recommend it.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »
Cellular service is fine until there's a large fire or earthquake, then all the cells are jammed with everyone trying to call.  Atmospheric disturbances can also affect cellular service.

During such an event, a good ol' hard wired land line is your best hope of being able to make/receive calls.  It's still the most dependable phone service available.  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith