Author Topic: Looking into getting my first tattoo...  (Read 4067 times)

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Looking into getting my first tattoo...
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »
Hey everyone,

So I've wanted a tattoo for a few years now, just didn't know what to get and where to get it. I finally decided on where to get it. But I'm stuck on what to get. I know I want a phrase or word with some special meaning, just need to figure out what exactly that word or phrase is. I do know that I would like to get it done in a fancy style of writing.

I just had a couple of questions for you tattoo veterans out there:

1) Do they fade? Are there certain ways to make sure they don't fade?

2) If I gain weight or muscle mass, will that mess up the appearance of the tattoo?

3) Do certain areas hurt more than others? I've heard anywhere directly over bone is quite a bit more painful than over a fat/muscular area.

I will probably have more questions, but so far that's all I have. Thanks for your help in advance!

Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

baldy46

Re: Looking into getting my first tattoo...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »
In answer to your questions:

1)  Do they fade?  Yes.  You have to make sure you slap sunscreen on your tattoo or it will definitely fade.  I always use 30 on my tatts and 15 on the rest of me.  If you're careful to just cover your TATTOO with the 30 sunscreen, you won't have white skin around it when you tan.
2)  If I gain weight or muscle mass, will that mess up the appearance of the tattoo?  I can't speak to the weight issue, but I have gained some muscle mass and I honestly think the tattoos look better now.  I suppose if you gained a lot of weight, it would distort the tatt's appearance.
3)  Do certain areas hurt more than others?  Absolutely.  My tatts are on my shoulders.  It hurt to get them, but not THAT much.  A buddy of mine got his tattoo on the inside of his forearm and said he'd never do it again.  I've heard others say that parts of the back really hurt too.

I have never regretted getting my tattoos.  I designed one of them myself (a cross) and that's my favorite one.  If you find the right artist, you'll be glad you got inked.   

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:50:57 AM »
BJR-

First let's answer those question:

1) Tattoos will fade over time. But if you take care of your tattos you can minimize the fading. the number one thing you can do is wear sunscreen when your tattoo will be exposed to the sun.

2) Whether you gain mass or fat your tattoo shouldn't change drastically, if at all.

3) Any area that is not fleshy will hurt more. The least painful area to get a tattoo is the sides of the shoulders. If the artist gets under the arm that's pretty sensitive. Painful areas, from what I've read and people I've spoken to are tops of feet or hands, neck,back of shoulders and ribcage/chest.

My advice for your first tattoo......

Take your time and find a GOOD artist. Make an appointment to go talk to the artist. See if you have a good feeling about both the artist and the studio. If you don't, go somewhere else. When you are in the studio, look around carefully. Look for dirt in the corners or any other signs of the place not being clean. Ask to see both the autoclave and the certificate that shows that it's certification is up to date.

Price should never be your FIRST concern. Never have truer words than "You get what you pay for" been uttered. Cost is a concern for most people but it should never be your first concern.

Think long and hard and BE SURE of your design. If you are going to have strictly "text" done you will most likely not get the best artist in the studio but more than likely an under study. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of. Good artists that I've met don't care to do strictly text but don't mind it as part of a more involved tattoo.

When you go to get your tattoo....... bathe just before you go. You're going to be in very close proximity to the artist and they will appreciate it. My artist even commented on the fact that I smelled clean the first time she tattooed me.
Wear a sleevless shirt (if getting your shoulder tattooed) or a shirt that is easily removable. Don't wear your best shirt because there's a good chance you may bleed onto it.

And after you get your tattoo....... TIP THE ARTIST. Most people don't realize that this is good protocol but believe me the artists really apreciate it. They will remember and do touch ups ,etc. for little or no charge if you treat them well. 15% or so will make your artist very happy.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:16:05 AM »
Just my two cents, I have a tat on my back. Like baldy46 said, the shoulders don't hurt too much. However, the spine and the ribs where they wrap around will make you wince. Oh yeah.

Hope the search for your art and artist go well. Post up a pic after it's done!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:59 AM »
+1 on what Mikekoz13 said!

I'm having a hard time finding a tattoo to cover a previous one I got when I was much younger... it's dark so my choices are limited.

I say that to encourage you to take your time and be sure that whatever tattoo you choose that it's one you can live with!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »
Thanks for all the answers, tips, and advice guys! I appreciate it!

I definitely will take some time to find the right artist/shop for the job, and will definitely spend some time making sure I get something that I can live with. It's definitely an important decision since it's permanent.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline no1birdman

• No Jokes
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »
Hi, if u have a tattoo in england and it is visable, u are not allowed in a lot of clubs or eating houses.It was a sign and still is in certain areas,of a trouble maker.Not for a minute do i agree

GASlick

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 08:26:01 PM »
Listen to the other guys.  I have three, and getting ready for another. 

My tattoos are of things that are important to me.  I have a medical caduceus on one upper outside arm, my wife and my initials connected with a vine on my right chest and  a cross on my right arm.

My fourth will be my children's names. 

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
Just my two cents, I have a tat on my back. Like baldy46 said, the shoulders don't hurt too much. However, the spine and the ribs where they wrap around will make you wince. Oh yeah.

Hope the search for your art and artist go well. Post up a pic after it's done!!!

Man, my backpiece goes across both shoulders and it actually put me into a state of shock