Author Topic: Newly Bald  (Read 6308 times)

Offline thehikingdude

• Learning the way of Sly
    • Portland Oregon Hiking Website
Newly Bald
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:02:05 PM »
Here's my story. I'm 42 and have been losing hair now for about 20 years. Still very thick on the sides, but very thin on the top and front. I got sick of paying $10-$15 to go and get my hair cut short and finally bought a Vidal Sasoon Balder / Fader.

So last night I plug it in and charge it up and start using it with the 6mm attachment. My hair was way too long (I'd gone a very long time without getting it cut) and it just wasn't doing anything. So then I put on the thinning comb and start going to town when the battery finally dies. I didn't charge it long enough, I was too anxious to give it a try. I was only able to finish maybe 1/8 of it. Try not to laugh!

Then the wife gets home and just about dies. She said that I've really botched and just need to go bald. Then she says that just that day she had seen some various shaven heads and thought I would look good. So I let the trimmer fully charge, remove the comb filter and just use the one right on the trimmer. After a few minutes my hair is the shortest that it's ever been in my life. Then I get out my Norelco electric razor and go to town. Not too long later my head was the smoothest part on my body.

So finally I get into bed at about 3AM. I had to stay up very late to let the trimmer charge, plus I'd had coffee way too late so I couldn't sleep anyways. Now here's the real kicker, after finally crawling into bed my wife woke up and asked me to turn on the light so she could see my handy work. After the lights were turned off she decided to have her way with me. (nudge nudge wink wink) I have no idea if it was the shaven head or what but I know I sure was happy.

So now I'm sitting here feeling a contstant draft on my newly shaven head wondering what I have done and if I will get used to it. Everytime I see myself in the mirror it's an absolute shock to my system, especially since it really wasn't my idea to do this quite yet.

I'm not looking forward to going to work tomorrow wondering all the comments I'm going to hear. I will just have to wait and see.

Glad to find this forum. It's just what I needed right now.

-jeff

-jeff

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Newly Bald
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:08:27 PM »
Welcome Jeff ... Good story
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Jeff, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!

That's a great story.  Don't worry about the comments tomorrow.  If you read through some of the threads here, you will find that everyone has had positive reactions from shaving their head. 

We look forward to getting to know you.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Hawk

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 06:12:46 PM »
LOL!  Great story!!!  I know what you mean about the shock part.  I just recently shaved my head for the first time a few days ago.  Give it a few days and it will grow on you.  You will probably get more compliments than you think!  Your wife sure seems to like it (nudge nudge wink wink) LOL!!!!  That is the most important thing brotha!  Welcome to "THE COLD HEAD CLUB".  LOL!!!!  ;D
Hawk
"I live life in the fast lane and my hair couldn't keep up"

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
Hey Jeff. Well that is an interesting way to get to get the smooth look. Good for you to take the plunge. You have the confidence to shave it, so work tomorrow won't be as nearly hard as you might think. Just walk in with your shoulders back and proud of what you have, er, I guess don't have. There will be shock, but I bet you get some great positive feedback.

Welcome to the group.

Offline thehikingdude

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:33:06 PM »
Thanks everybody!!!! I knew I came to the right place when I stumbled across this forum. And guess what, my wife just told me I look more sexy. Wow, that is not what I was expecting. What the heck took me so long.

-jeff
-jeff

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 07:50:03 PM »
Hey Jeff, congrats on taking the plunge. I took the plunge on New Year's Day. You are WAY ahead of me, in the sense your wife supports it, mine does not. Like you, I had been looking it for more than 20 years (I turned 40 last May). So far, my comments have been, with the exception of my lovely wife, OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE. Such comments included "Awesome", "You look SO much younger", and "SWEEEEET". My wife continues to piss on my positive feelings saying "What do you expect them to say?". Personally, I like it and I'm going to keep the look. If she doesn't come around to the look, so be it. I did this for ME.

A lot of the positive comments came from work associates, but the most affirming comments came from complete strangers. Unbiased affirmation was the best. I'd expect the same if I were you.

Congrats,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:10:18 PM »
welcome hiking guy.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

BaldRob

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:12:40 PM »
Hi and welcome Jeff!!  Great intro story too!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:12:58 PM »

I like it and I'm going to keep the look. If she doesn't come around to the look, so be it. I did this for ME.

Way to go, Schro....we know yer not fodder for this magazine (click to enlarge).  I shared this on another thread...but it's worth repeating.

BYW....welcome Jeffmeister!  Great story.

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 08:37:17 PM »

Now here's the real kicker, after finally crawling into bed my wife woke up and asked me to turn on the light so she could see my handy work. After the lights were turned off she decided to have her way with me. (nudge nudge wink wink) I have no idea if it was the shaven head or what but I know I sure was happy.

-jeff

Now this is what being SLYYYY is all about!!! Great story, welcome aboard!!! ;D

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 08:40:27 PM »
Personally, I like it and I'm going to keep the look. If she doesn't come around to the look, so be it. I did this for ME.

You're damn right Schro.  My wife never has liked it, but everyone else does, especially ME.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 09:43:30 PM »
Personally, I like it and I'm going to keep the look. If she doesn't come around to the look, so be it. I did this for ME.

You're damn right Schro.  My wife never has liked it, but everyone else does, especially ME.

Personally, I have joked with people that I look good "from the neck down". Now, I feel as if I look good, PERIOD. It's a look that is NOT GOING ANYWHERE, anytime soon. What's funny is, I feel somewhat inspired to get the rest of me back into tip-top shape. I've never really been seriously out of shape (right now, I'm 204 lbs, 6' tall), but I feel like I want to trim down to 190, without adding serious bulk. I am pretty serious about my golf, and don't want to limit the flexibility I currently have.

Anyway, thanks to all you guys out there. Even though I lack the support here at home (kids are beginning to like it), I can count on all of you.

Later,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline thehikingdude

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »
Update: Last night I had another encounter with the wife. I sure am glad that I screwed up my hair cut!!!
-jeff

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 07:39:03 AM »
Update: Last night I had another encounter with the wife. I sure am glad that I screwed up my hair cut!!!

You go boy!