Author Topic: Bearded baldies and the corporate world  (Read 12964 times)

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
Bearded baldies and the corporate world
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »
So I'm expecting a final interview at a big corporate insurance company in a week, and I'm not sure how they will like the beard with a bald head.  This will be my first big job in the corporate atmosphere and from what I've gathered, clean shaven is the best way to go, that or a goatee is acceptable.  I don't recall ever seeing anyone with a full beard in the corporate world.

Normally I'd wear it the way I want to, but I need this job lol.

Anyone have any experience with this?  Is it better to suck it up and go with a goatee or is a well trimmed beard acceptable?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Bearded baldies and the corporate world
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:07 PM »
If it's a final interview, then you've interviewed with them before, so I assume your appearance passed the initial screening.   What kind of job/company is it?  Some positions are more flexible with respect to appearance than others.  Clean shaven used to be a must, but that's been relaxed most places nowadays.  Shaved heads and goatees are common in the corporate world.  I've only seen the full beard/shaved combo on the IT guys where I work.

If you get a chance, drive by the company and wait outside for a few minutes at lunchtime or the end of the workday and see what the employees coming out of the building look like.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:17:21 PM »
I work in an IT environment.  They tend to be very casual and laid back.  To say I get away with a lot is a mild understatement.  Bald head, full beard, earrings.  To you I say suck it up and trim the beard down to a goatee and try to get the job.  Once you're in you can gauge what you can get 'away' with.  Then you can do the head tatts, long bushy beard,  0 Gauge earrings, etc . . .  8)
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »
That's a great idea, I'll go stalking on Monday lol.

Well I went in for a pre-employment test and only met with the secretary.  I passed that and went through a phone interview and am waiting to hear back for the final interview. 

The position is underwriting - autos for State Farm.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
I really don't think you'll  have any problem.  Your beard is trimmed and tidy and you look professional.  Facial hair used to be a big no-no in the corporate world, but I think that attitude is pretty rare nowadays.

GASlick

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
I agree with RazorX.  I think you'll be fine.  Your beard isn't scraggy and messy.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »

If you get a chance, drive by the company and wait outside for a few minutes at lunchtime or the end of the workday and see what the employees coming out of the building look like.

This is a good idea.

...suck it up and trim the beard down to a goatee and try to get the job.  Once you're in you can gauge what you can get 'away' with. 

Yeah....it's not a big deal either way....it's your call...do what you have to do...yer not sellin' out by cleanin it up a little more than you normally would.

On the extreme side of the spectrum....there are people who are committed to asserting their "maverick" self (not that this is your situation, hickmeister) and have the attitude..."Well if they don't like me for who I am....."

absolutely REJECTING the notion of towing the company line....even a LITTLE bit.....just at the beginning.

They're still hittin the bricks.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »
'J', how goes the job search.  I was out for two months earlier this year, so I know what a drag it is.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Pshrynk

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
If you're REALLY worried about the beard....

Then shave it so it doesn't undermine your confidence.

It grows back  ;) 

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »

It grows back  ;) 

This is powerful right here !!

Now...not sure how it would work if you feel most confident going in with double nose piercings and a piece of barb wire connected to your upper lip.

But generally speaking...if the beard issue is causing concern...get rid of the concern so you can be as comfortable and poised as possible.

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »
Not exceptional at the moment, but thanks for asking.  I've been working temp jobs for a while now to make ends meet.  I had an interview the week before last and got offered the job, but the pay was lower than for the temp jobs I'm working and the work wasn't insurance related.

In November I passed the first actuarial exam (for risk management) and have a math degree, but for some reason I'm having a hard to getting my foot inside the door at an insurance company.  My goal is to be an actuary, and I don't mind working my way up from the bottom.

I'm a great worker someone hire me!!  ;D O0

Red, how did your two month streak end?

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
I'm a consultant in IT, so eventually jobs just happen.  Are you open to relocation?  Chicago has lots of opportunities in your field.  Are you downstate?  I ask because you mentioned State Farm.

Red

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »

It grows back  ;) 

This is great advice, but I feel I'm in a catch 22.  I feel more confident with a beard, so I don't want to shave it and I think it looks better.  But I don't want to look 2nd rate at the interview lol.

It's not a huge deal, I'll probably just hack the thing off for a while and scope out the other employees like the previous posters suggested. 

Pshrynk

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »

It grows back  ;) 

This is great advice, but I feel I'm in a catch 22.  I feel more confident with a beard, so I don't want to shave it and I think it looks better.  But I don't want to look 2nd rate at the interview lol.

Flip a coin   :px

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
Yes, I'm open for relocation.  I'm currently in Austin, Texas.  I love it here, but would move for a job.

Many actuaries work in Chicago or somewhere in the north east in the huge corporate offices.  I've applied to jobs around there and have two actuarial recruiters working for me, but haven't had anything concrete come up.  But I'm thinking positive and studying for the next exam.  It's just a matter of time.

I think I'll shave to the goat today come to think about it, wouldn't want a funny beard tan lol.