Author Topic: Not sure what to do with this thinning hair  (Read 19187 times)

Offline RC The Uncola

• Sly Guy in Training
Not sure what to do with this thinning hair
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:26:10 AM »
what do you guys think.   it looks allright sometimes but sometimes uh noso alright
i cant seem to add more images to this post
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:32:08 AM by NotBaldYet »

BaldRob

Re: Not sure what to do with this thinning hair
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »
Hi and welcome NotBaldYet.

Balding and thinning is never an easy thing to deal with.  Your biggest challenge is to decide what you want to do.  Most of us here shave completely, some with a regular razor or headblade, some with an electric or clippers.

One good thing about a complete shave... you never have a "not so good" day!

Read through the topics and enjoy!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:44:05 AM »

You can click on Addtional Options when posting.  This will give you the ability to add more pics.  Or you can use the IMG tags if you have the pic hosted somewhere.

As for your hair.  It really does depend on what you feel most comfortable with.  If you're tired of playing the cover up game, then shaving with either clippers or a razor is the best way to go.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:49:28 AM »
Whatever you do don't try and hide it, in my opinion that always makes it look worse and you might even feel more self conscious then. 

Pre-emptive strike: My advice would be to shave it off, maybe just down to a number 2!  Worse case scenario you don't like it, it will grow back.

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:17:05 PM »
Your pic looks OK. Whenever I had my picture taken, you could definately tell that I had little up top. That is how I made the decision to get rid of it. Of course with the help of the guys at SBG.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »
Your pic looks OK. Whenever I had my picture taken, you could definately tell that I had little up top. That is how I made the decision to get rid of it. Of course with the help of the guys at SBG.

I think we should use this as a testimonial..."I have seen the light..."

Just a thought anyway
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 07:47:41 PM »
what do you guys think.   it looks allright sometimes but sometimes uh noso alright

It's all about your attitude.     Keep in mind i'm bald my choice(8 weeks tommorrow) and i'm not going back.     But the way I view a bald head is that it's just a style, not an issue of feeling like the world around me is caving in.

Here's why I recommend anyone try it: 

1) If you hate it, hair grows back.

2)  You will realize there are so many extra benefits to being bald than just the look.    For example:   you can get up and go to work in the morning and don't have to mess with hair.   Also, no hat head(my hair always stuck out of that back part of every baseball cap) or bed head to have to restyle.   Your pillow touching your head feels nice and cold.    It also focuses attention on your eyes/smile.   

Plus think about the money saved.     No more hairbrushes, shampoos, haircuts, hair gel, or what not needed.    All you need is your razor/shaver of  choice, a shave gel/cream/lubricant, warm water, and aftershave.    Plus keep in mind monthly you pay for one haircut.  With shaving, you get many more shaves than one per month.
bald for life

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 07:49:22 PM »
Furthermore, you will become addicted to rubbing your smooth head because it feels so nice.   And you also start to care more about your appearance, in my case I have started wearing nicer clothes more often since shaving.

bald for life

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 08:11:48 PM »
what do you guys think. 

Well being a pro-head shaver site, most of us are obviosly going to tell you to shave your hair. The fact that you chose to post says to me that you are ready for a change. But only you can make that decision.

Take some time, look around at the site and then, look around at yourself. Do you want a change? Do you need a change? Once you answer those questions, then you can make the decision to shave your head, yourself. Don't let others make that for you.

When you first get that razor in your hand, you should feel the excitment of going up the hill on a rollercoaster track. Tick, Tick, Tick. Tick and then you enjoy the ride.

If you have doubts, just watch the track for a little while and then decided if your getting on.

Dr. Noner

Man, I should write for Hallmark!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
If  you're feeling especially brave, shave it.  Otherwise, just get it cut a little shorter.  You have a long way to go before you will be considered bald.  You should just get progressively shorter haircuts as the thinning and receding worsens. 

I wouldn't shave it just yet, unless you really want to.  Cut it a bit shorter, even if it exposes more scalp and enjoy having hair while you can.   Being bald is nothing to be afraid of, but once your hair is lost, it's not coming back and you'll be locked into that look forever.  Therefore, you might as well explore other options while you still have them.

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »
Brother Slick is the new comb over.

Slick it's not a hair style it's a life style.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline MC HammerHead

• "..I shouldn't have to tell you who I am...because who I am should be speaking for itself.."
  • Sly
  • Future's So Bright, Got To Wear Shades..and SPF 45
    • Downhillbillies
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
Noner writing for Hallmark.....now there's a THought!

You are getting some great advise on here.  The good news is for you is it will grow back. 

Funny, the person that talked me into actually shaving my head for the first time was my Barber of all people!  His point was the same as all of these guys : Quit fighting it ...go with it.  Of course it cut him out of a revenue stream but he is also one of my best friends.

The other thing that's cool about it now is that more people are doing it.  I was by no means a "pioneer" head shaver but, in the region of the country I live in (North Carolina) very few people had slick heads seven years ago.  Now I see guys every day with their head shaved.  (even back then I noticed it because I thought about it for along time before making the plunge).

Go with your gut on this thing...if it's saying go for it then do so.  If it's saying "start looking at hair club for men, spray on hair, comb over, hair transplants, rogaine, etc, etc" then I still suggest you shave it and quit having such thoughts...ha ha...just joking.  ...
MC HammerHead
Downhillbillies Skateboarding Organization
Woody's Halfpipe Board Shop Team
Pavel Skates Flow Team
Axe Army
Headblade Street Team
www.myspace.com/mchammerhead

Offline BigJeffrey

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »
That's some sage like advice from MC Hammerhead.  Listen to your gut....then ignore it.  Come to think of it....if I applied that philosophy to my life i might stay out of some trouble....especially where the ladies are concerned..LOL. 

I really don't know of anyone who has shaved their head and regretted it.  I think most people will look good with a slick noggin.  Some people are shocked by their appearance without hair but you usually get over that and grow to love it.  And like everyone said, if you don't like it it will grow back.  Some of it anyway.

I, for one, urge you to break out the razor and discover the new and improved you.  I think you'll like what you see when you're done.

Offline RC The Uncola

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:14:46 PM »
Hey:

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Yeah im pretty sure i'll shave it someday (probably wont like it like I like having hair).  Ive buzzed it really tight before and it looks allright.  Some people have told me i look good with shaved head. 

not sure if i dig the idea of going all the way sly .. but maybe better that than cringe when i see my hair in a mirror.  Anyway thanks for input everyone.  and ill post a follow up when it happens.

outie five

Offline RC The Uncola

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 08:04:29 AM »
making mental strides.... a virtual head shave from baldygo.com

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 08:06:53 AM by NotBaldYet »