Author Topic: Work....arggg  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Work....arggg
« on: May 30, 2008, 07:05:41 AM »
I responded to Hp291's thread and it got me to thinking about yesterday.
I have this customer that I am dealing with right now and sometimes I would love to just slap them around a time or two.
This middle aged couple comes in here about a month ago.  They are looking to put laminate in three rooms and 5 rooms with some carpeting.  They have been in here countless amount of times looking and deciding.  A few days ago they finally figured out what they wanted and had us give them a quote.  They come back in yesterday and say we are higher on our prices, by about $400.00  Well to me $400 isnt that much and can be adjusted here or there, but we were higher.  They actually started to make me feel like I was ripping them off.  The more they stood here and basically telling me that the other two places they have looked at were being honest and so forth.  Lets investigate it here....I tell em.  You say we are $400 more, ok, Here we go.  We are local, less than 1 mile from your residence.  You went to a town 30 miles from here to get an estimate, that establishment has already charged you $60 to come measure and give you an estimate....Ours..no charge.  You took samples home from that establishment...at a cost of $20 a sample.. and you got 4 samples...which if you go with them will be applied to your bill as a credit.   Cost of gas for the how many trips back and forth over there???  3 times...OK lets say $30 in gas.  You have mentioned that they will charge you for every trip they make to your place to install all of the flooring, I didnt hear you mention that on your estimate from them?  Oh they will charge you accordingly to how ever many days it takes to do that.  If we were doing it...i would venture to say 5 days of work...they will charge you $30 a trip...thats $150 bucks.  OK so now what are we up too??  $320 bucks....not including all the money you have spent going to the other establishment that is located 20 miles the other direction getting estimates....So I would say right now we are all about even.

But guess what ....We got the job.  I just hate it when people come in and try to tell us that we are ripping them off and that we are higher in our prices.  We are just as competitive as anyone else in the area.  So I guess what I am saying here is....if you all live in a small town...support your  local businesses.  These big box stores in larger cities...do the math....and look for all the hidden cost.  Shopping local is better in the long run. I guarentee you will be surprised at what you will find.

Timmay

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Work....arggg
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »
can you guys imagine the customer service you would get from TIMMAY?  ha ha ha just kidding bro. local is always better. even if you are a little higher. at least the money stays local.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
I agree 100%.

I always do my best to shop local and patronize family run business.

I still think Tim is ripping me off somehow though. >:D
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
Only thing that is getting ripped off right now are these damn red and whites.  They are bout to choke my neck...lol

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »
Only thing that is getting ripped off right now are these damn red and whites.  They are bout to choke my neck...lol

dont pull them up so high grandpa.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:27:08 PM »
they say verticle stripes make you look thinner...so I have to pull em up over my belly

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »
I agree with working with the local deal, but the big box stores unfortinately pay my bills

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47:08 AM »
yeah, I try to buy local if I can, like when I bought the appliances for my house.  It was worth it!  Saved me almost $5000 over the big box stores in the long run.  Though, it wasn't until I started reading the fine print that I realized the hidden costs I was avoiding.  Plus, I was able to buy a floor model at half the price when I bought my oven/range, which was the main reason I saved so much. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »
Good thread Timm ... and try dealing with the customer "no service" department if a problem develops with one of their products.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt